The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-21-2018, 01:25 PM

Default On Opening (and Re-Opening) Up

The subject of whether and how guitars open up is one of the single most discussed topics here. I don't seek to debate this again in this post. My question is for those that experience their guitars opening up and subsequently "closing down" if not played for some period of time. How do you prepare a "closed" guitar for a gig? How much play time and how soon before the gig do you set about opening it back up? Say you have 4 instruments you're bringing to a show. What do you do to ensure all 4 are fully opened up and ready to sound their best?
Old 01-21-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
The subject of whether and how guitars open up is one of the single most discussed topics here. I don't seek to debate this again in this post. My question is for those that experience their guitars opening up and subsequently "closing down" if not played for some period of time. How do you prepare a "closed" guitar for a gig? How much play time and how soon before the gig do you set about opening it back up? Say you have 4 instruments you're bringing to a show. What do you do to ensure all 4 are fully opened up and ready to sound their best?
Tonerite for about 30 minutes (on previously Tonerited guitars) does the trick. I don't see them "closing up" in any short period of time, though I haven't tested it. I only take one guitar per gig.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 01-21-2018, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

I do believe in new or long unused guitars lacking a certain something.

I have not played my guitars much in the last year and so have experienced this on a number of times.

There is no magic formula .. the best one can do is to to play the things.

I very much doubt that anyone else would perceive the difference anyway.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:03 PM

Everytime I pick up one of my guitars thats been unplayed for a several days I feel like it takes a good 10 minutes of playing for the guitar to get warmed up and really start sounding good. Of course I'm also warming up too, so that's prob a big part of it.
1968 Yamaha FG-180

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion