The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-11-2018, 10:07 PM

Default Anybody had experience with the external guitar clip-on microphones such as DPA 4099?

I have this unrealistic desire to be able to take all of my guitars that do not have pickups which is most of them and be able to play them in a live setting such as Church Etc does anyone know if these work well enough and don't produce crazy feedback?
Old 01-12-2018, 12:13 AM

Feedback depends on a lot of variables.
By and large, a microphone is more prone to feedback than an internal pick-up, which is again more sensible to feedback than a magnetic PU.
DPA is a nice solution if the overall sound level is not too hot.
Main advantage is you control totally the placement and the distance from the sound source will stay the same, and short, which helps to keep feedback at bay. Fine.
Now it is a bit cumbersome to install and remove. If you have multiple instruments, fast change between songs, and only one DPA, it'll not work. Better play in front of an adequate (read cardio or hyper cardio) mic on a stand.
Feedback depends greatly of the directivity of the microphone and what it is picking up off the monitor. Peculiar to that type of mics, installed *on* an acoustic instrument, is that although the distance off the source is now fixed, which is good, the mic itself can move (with the player), and so now the uncontrolled variable is how it is picking up the monitors.
There is no free lunch.
I always pair the DPA with a radio transmitter for convenience, only if I *really* want a special something out of a given instrument, and only in quiet venues.
But it's a very fine mic (all this DPA family of mics is mighty good and is a great help for sound recordists : they deliver great sound, they are unobtrusive, and there is a boatload of mounting accessories for any imaginable situation)

http://www.youtube.com/user/batzic

Last edited by jpbat; 01-12-2018 at 12:23 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:19 AM

https://www.zzounds.com/item--DPAVO4099G?siid=234698

I've had my DPA d:vote VO-4099G over a year.
I LOVE the freedom of moving around the stage instead of being handcuffed to a mic stand, yet enjoying the sound of a superb high end mic instead of a quacking duck!

It's a tiny shotgun supercardioid condenser, with high gain before feedback.

The volume of everything falls off with distance, but the 4099's position is fixed and close to your guitar's soundboard.
A mic placed where the sound field is louder means less amplification is needed.
That's one reason it is less vulnerable to feedback than a conventional mic on a stand.

The DPA has zero piezo quack; for me that sealed the deal right there.
It sounds like the high end studio condenser that it actually is.
There's no battery, so you must supply phantom power via the XLR cable.

I love that I can EQ the sound simply by slightly changing its position and angle on the goosneck.
I don't have to reach down to any mixer, pedal, or EQ device.
I love that I can move it to another guitar in seconds.
Buying only one for all my guitars saves money, and no holes have to be drilled into my precious guitars.

I LOVE this mic.
Pricey at $619, but totally worth it!
You won't believe how accurate and natural the sound is.
Be sure to experiment with position and angle to find your guitar's sweet spot.
Consider adding one optional gooseneck extender for even more position flexibility.

Here it is on my Martin D-28 Authentic.
Notice the hanging MicxroDot to XLR adapter, model DAD4099-BC for belt clip.
It includes an 80 Hz Low-Cut filter ... perfect for guitars since the lowest E in standard tuning is 82.41 HZ.

I do put a bit of gaffer tape over the clip to prevent knocking it onto the floor by a bump by my hand.

Last edited by Tico; 01-12-2018 at 08:41 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:20 AM

Default mics

I use a Myers (good company). It fastens on with a suction cup which I moisten first before putting it on. The mic itself goes in the sound port and this way I have not had any problem with feedback or the sound I produce - but I don't play in loud environments.

An added advantage of going in the soundport is that it is not nearly so visible as it would be if it were on top.

I also use a real mike (Audix i5). The Myers powers a harmony/reverb/etc. pedal. I switch instruments and it is a simple matter to remove and reattach it without looking like a big production to anyone in the audience. The Audix give extra power and works alone when I use a louder instrument such as my Duolian or a banjo or mandolin, which the Meyers won't stick to anyway.

The only problem I have, if you want to call them that, is that when I am done, I need to polish the spots it sat to remove a "dirty glass" type of ring. Since I learned to moisten it before installing, I have not had any problems with it coming off when not wanted. When switching, I make sure to turn off the volume first, a simple twist. I don't have any satin finished instruments so cannot predict how it would work with this kind of finish.

With one pickup for all guitars, I save some money and none of the guitars is altered in any way. I should note that I only use it in certain situations, but it is always in my gear box. It takes up so little room and weighs next to nothing.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
I have this unrealistic desire to be able to take all of my guitars that do not have pickups which is most of them and be able to play them in a live setting such as Church Etc does anyone know if these work well enough and don't produce crazy feedback?
I'm not sure it's unrealistic. That really depends on the "live setting". Are you playing solo on stage? Are you using wedge monitors or in-ears? Who is the soundman and how much experience do they have with this sort of context. All these factors add up.

I used a 4099 for years as a stage mic for solo finger style but as my guitar had a Manzer wedge I mounted the mic on a stand which did look vaguely ridiculous. That said, I just saw that DPA are offering an adaptor clip to make that a more user-friendly option.

All in all they're great mics as long as you apply the same methodology you would to using any other stage mic you should be fine.
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:37 AM

I don’t think the guitar mounted mics work very well with floor monitors, high volumes, or with a band, unless you have some very good capable sound people. Church, with limited other instruments and soft volume will likely be OK. A cheap experiment is the iRig Stage Live kit for $99. If that works for you in your venue, then you might be safe to make a larger investment.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I don’t think the guitar mounted mics work very well with floor monitors, high volumes, or with a band, unless you have some very good capable sound people. Church, with limited other instruments and soft volume will likely be OK. A cheap experiment is the iRig Stage Live kit for $99. If that works for you in your venue, then you might be safe to make a larger investment.
Thanks to others for replies as well, yes we use floor wedges, stage volume can get loud...sounds like i should keep it simple. I have a nice breedlove I play with an anthem pickup, but have thought about taking some other guitars at times. I really don't want to take any of the sound guy's time, so this is probably not a good option. it does sound like its good for solo fingerstyle though, which i play at times in other places.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
Notice the hanging MicxroDot to XLR adapter, model DAD4099-BC for belt clip.
It includes an 80 Hz Low-Cut filter ... perfect for guitars since the lowest E in standard tuning is 82.41 HZ.

How do you get phantom power at your belt clip? do you mind sending me the link to the other gear in your rig? (wireless adapter, phantom power, etc)

Thanks!
Old 01-12-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
How do you get phantom power at your belt clip? do you mind sending me the link to the other gear in your rig? (wireless adapter, phantom power, etc)

Thanks!
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...m=Y&sku=838946

Instead of using the DPA belt clips, I hang this Azden field mixer from my belt loops.
Made in Japan, lots of great features, transparent sound, uses 4 AA batteries, XLR outputs, $299.
Azden also makes models with more than 2 channels.

I also use a DPA d:fine cardioid headset vocal mic which also gets its +48V phantom power from the field mixer.
This pricey compact rig delivers superb sound!
My controls are at my fingertips at all times.
Great for stage or busking.

I do not go wireless, but DPA makes adaptors that support all the brands.

Front Panel"

Input Side:

Output Side:

Battery Side:

Last edited by Tico; 01-12-2018 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

I've used the K and K Meridian playing in a band in a mid sized bar, I placed the mic on the topsheet of the instrument rather than in mid air, no feedback issues.
https://youtu.be/SSTNMHQAli8
Old 01-12-2018, 01:13 PM

Get an iSolo. Silicone, across the sound hole non-permanent mount. Portable from one guitar to another. Internal mic. WIRELESS. I got one of these in December and am totally impressed. Ignore the videos and reviews showing the “stick on” mounting pad, they are beyond that now.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyvito View Post
Get an iSolo. Silicone, across the sound hole non-permanent mount. Portable from one guitar to another. Internal mic. WIRELESS. I got one of these in December and am totally impressed. Ignore the videos and reviews showing the “stick on” mounting pad, they are beyond that now.
I have an iSolo and also use the iRig acoustic stage. The iSolo is great for venues or setups where feedback isn't a major issue. The feedback control in the iRig's preamp is great, and being able to blend the Mic with the guitars pickup (if it has one) is a nice feature also.
Gibson 1963 LG0
Gibson 2013 J45
Gibson 2013 LG2 American Eagle
Martin 1993 D1
And many more......

Tom
Palm Bay, FL
Old 01-13-2018, 06:12 AM

I have read that the dpa microphone mount can cause scratches on the guitsr finish. Is that true?
Old 01-13-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
I have read that the dpa microphone mount can cause scratches on the guitsr finish. Is that true?
I'd say no.
Even clumsy from beer I can't imagine how I could manage to scratch my guitars with my DPA 4099's clip.
It's well designed to protect the instrument.
Every part that touches the guitar is covered with a very soft and grippy rubber.
Even the entire length of the clip's bar (which does not even touch the guitar) is covered with the same soft rubber.
Proof: on the first pic below look closely where the bar reaches the left side.
Notice the coating is one continuous piece of rubber covering the stationary clamp on the left and continuing to the right, all along the entire length of the clip's bar.

I realize I come across as a shill for DPA but I swear I do not sell DPA products or have even a single share of stock in DPA.
I just love the natural live sound of my wonderful guitars, which the DPA VO-4099G uniquely delivers without alteration, while allowing the guitarist free movement away from a mic stand.
All you gotta do is pay the, IMO, justified price for top-drawer engineering, microscopic manufacturing, and wages for Danish workers, instead of paying mere pennies for exploited and abused Chinese workers living in poverty.

I post to share what I consider to be an unfortunately-rare acoustic guitar joy - an amplified acoustic guitar that sounds exactly the same as it sounds unamplified, only louder.
Nobody's guitar should quack like a duck.

Here it is on my Taylor Big Baby.

Below pic: off the guitar the clamp was adjusted to be as small as possible - for perhaps a uke, mandolin or viola.
This pic is to show the only two surfaces that touch the guitar, the far left and the far right and the two surfaces 90 degrees to them.

Last edited by Tico; 01-14-2018 at 02:08 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion