The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-13-2018, 09:48 AM

Default All 'Hog Guys...DR Sunbeam Mediums and an OMC 15e

As an experiment, I just installed a set on my Martin OMC 15e.
Since the DR Sunbeam Mediums have similar tension as many light strings with hex cores, I figured I'd see what kind of results would occur with the heavier gauge.

Louder, deeper bass, more projection and still easy to play were the results.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 01-13-2018 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

I love Sunbeams. They didn't work on my Road Series GPCRSG, but I've just loved them on everything else I tried them on.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:57 AM

Sunbeam 12's sound great on my D35. I've experimented with the Sunbeam 13's and while the bass projection is great on the heavier strings they also lose some shimmer compared to the 12's. My D35 has unbelievable bass so going to the heavier string reduced the overall tonal complexity (often confused with simple "brightness"). The 12's provide a wider tonal spectrum for me as well as reducing the amount of hand strength needed for other brands' 12-54 gauge strings.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 01-13-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
Sunbeam 12's sound great on my D35. I've experimented with the Sunbeam 13's and while the bass projection is great on the heavier strings they also lose some shimmer compared to the 12's. My D35 has unbelievable bass so going to the heavier string reduced the overall tonal complexity (often confused with simple "brightness"). The 12's provide a wider tonal spectrum for me as well as reducing the amount of hand strength needed for other brands' 12-54 gauge strings.
I could see where that would be the case on a Rosewood guitar.
An all Mahogany guitar, or at least my OM isn't much for shimmer.
I've tried various lights on it and while they sounded nice, they also sounded a little weaker than I like. I'm just one of those guys who likes loud acoustic guitars I guess.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 01-13-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I could see where that would be the case on a Rosewood guitar.
An all Mahogany guitar, or at least my OM isn't much for shimmer.
I've tried various lights on it and while they sounded nice, they also sounded a little weaker than I like. I'm just one of those guys who likes loud acoustic guitars I guess.
I could see how an all hog guitar might not have much shimmer regardless of strings. While not mahogany, my Alvarez Yairi DY71 with cedar top and Koa back and sides also has difficulty with projection. But... I haven't tried Sunbeam 13's on that guitar yet. Seems like something logical to try when I get the guitar back from my niece who I've loaned it to. I was surprised that the DY71 really responded to Martin silk and steel 11's which I put on so she'd have an easier times learning to play. But the 11's sounded really good, which I never would have expected.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion