The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-10-2018, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
I feel like several of these responses, while well-meaning, are a little bit hyperbolic. Yes, the guitars will sound different to a point, but let’s not forget that they are both small/medium-sized guitars made from the same manufacturer from the same types of woods...
I feel your statement above (in response to mine, for one) while well-meaning, is a little bit condescending...and ignores the fact that Taylor uses the same basic language I used to describe the differences between the GC and GA in their Buying Guide.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
I feel your statement above (in response to mine, for one) while well-meaning, is a little bit condescending...and ignores the fact that Taylor uses the same basic language I used to describe the differences between the GC and GA in their Buying Guide.
Sorry if I offended you. I’m not ignoring the fact that there are differences in the two models, but I can’t help but point out the exaggeration in statements like these:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athens View Post
The 12 fret will have a completely different sound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
In a word, no.
Quote:
Agreed, these guitars are not alike.
My point was, and remains, that given the similarities between the two Taylor models, there’s probably more in common overall than there are differences. I have a feeling our friends writing the marketing copy at Taylor would agree.

At the end of the day, the guy liked the 324 and because of that, will probably find much to like in a 322 since they share enough common DNA. That’s all!
Old 01-11-2018, 07:28 AM

Quote:

My point was, and remains, that given the similarities between the two Taylor models, there’s probably more in common overall than there are differences.
Have you played the guitars being discussed?

Personally, I'd rather read mildly hyperbolic but illustrative comments based on observation and hands-on experience with the guitars in question than read mildly condescending conjecture.

I have played both, back to back, more than once, and I have done so as recently as yesterday. These two guitars have significant differences, not only in build (body size, scale length, 14 fret VS 12 fret, slotted headstock VS paddle) but tonally as well.

Having owned the 324, I learned that it was simply too big for me to play comfortably for anything more than a few minutes. I had to sell it off. But that helped fund my purchase of another Taylor GC 12 fret (like the 322) and I can play it for hours on end without pain in either shoulder.

Having played both, I don't think it's much of a stretch to say they're different animals altogether. Certainly, based on my experience, it seems at least equally hyperbolic to say that if you like one, you'll probably like the other.
Taylor GS Mini-e Spruce/Rosewood
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Cordoba 24T tenor ukulele
Kanile'a Islander MST-4 tenor ukulele
Kiwaya KTC-1 concert ukulele
Kolohe concert ukulele
Mainland Mahogany soprano ukulele
Ohana SK-28 soprano ukulele
Brüko No. 6 soprano ukulele

Last edited by Swamp Yankee; 01-11-2018 at 08:03 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Yankee View Post
Have you played the guitars being discussed?

Personally, I'd rather read mildly hyperbolic but illustrative comments based on observation and hands-on experience with the guitars in question than read mildly condescending conjecture.

I have played both, back to back, more than once, and I have done so as recently as yesterday. These two guitars have significant differences, not only in build (body size, scale length, 14 fret VS 12 fret, slotted headstock VS paddle) but tonally as well.

Having owned the 324, I learned that it was simply too big for me to play comfortably for anything more than a few minutes. I had to sell it off. But that helped fund my purchase of another Taylor GC 12 fret (like the 322) and I can play it for hours on end without pain in either shoulder.

Having played both, I don't think it's much of a stretch to say they're different animals altogether. Certainly, based on my experience, it seems at least equally hyperbolic to say that if you like one, you'll probably like the other.
Cool. I'd like to end up with a 12-fret Taylor myself sometime.

Last edited by ataylor; 01-11-2018 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Removed post that, while conciliatory, was also very sarcastic
Old 01-11-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Sorry if I offended you. I’m not ignoring the fact that there are differences in the two models, but I can’t help but point out the exaggeration in statements like these:
Quote:
...these guitars are not alike.
LOL, no offense! But you seem to have a lot of feelings "you can't help." Sorry I can't help you if you feel my statement was hyperbolic and an exaggeration.

Quote:
My point was, and remains, that given the similarities between the two Taylor models, there’s probably more in common overall than there are differences. I have a feeling our friends writing the marketing copy at Taylor would agree.
So according to you the GA size is nothing but Taylor marketing...yet it is their most popular. Our friends at Taylor must be Brilliant!
Old 01-11-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
LOL, no offense! But you seem to have a lot of feelings "you can't help." Sorry I can't help you if you feel my statement was hyperbolic and an exaggeration.

So according to you the GA size is nothing but Taylor marketing...yet it is their most popular. Our friends at Taylor must be Brilliant!
Glad you didn’t take offense to my post. Have a good one!
Old 01-12-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargeak99 View Post
I ordered a 322 12 Fret from GC without electronics, and will be picking it up tomorrow. I've played 2 different ones and they were consistent with each other, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Went to GC the other night to pickup the 322 12 Fret. Unboxed it right there and..............it was a 14 Fret, they ordered the wrong one! I was crushed. The local GC has had the same 3 guitar sales associates for quite a while and they've always taken care of me. The guy who screwed up the order was bummed & very apologetic. I told him not to sweat it, and that this was just a "first world problem".
I realize this thread is not about a comparison between these two guitars but:
I did play the 322 14 Fret for a bit. Beautiful guitar, played and sounded great. Really could put out the sound for a small Grand Concert body size. I personally like the chime that the Tasmanian Blackwood B/S gives, instead of Mahogany.
But, this guitar did not seem to have the bass response of the 12 Fret. I could notice it and therefore did not take this guitar. They've ordered a 12 Fretter without electronics for me from Taylor.
1 month ETA.
The Taylor website has a cool "compare" feature where you can select 2 different guitars and listen to recordings back-to-back.
I did this with the 322 14 & 12 fretters and I experienced the same sound between the two.

Last edited by guitargeak99; 01-12-2018 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Went to GC the other night to pickup the 322 12 Fret. Unboxed it right there and..............it was a 14 Fret, they ordered the wrong one! I was crushed. The local GC has had the same 3 guitar sales associates for quite a while and they've always taken care of me. The guy who screwed up the order was bummed & very apologetic. I told him not to sweat it, and the this was just a "first world problem".
I realize this thread is not about a comparison between these two guitars but:
I did play the 322 14 Fret for a bit. Beautiful guitar, played and sounded great. Really could put out the sound for a small Grand Concert body size. I personally like the chime that the Tasmanian Blackwood B/S gives, instead of Mahogany.
But, this guitar did not seem to have the bass response of the 12 Fret. I could notice it and therefore did not take this guitar. They've ordered a 12 Fretter without electronics for me from Taylor.
1 month ETA.
The Taylor website has a cool "compare" feature where you can select 2 different guitars and listen to recordings back-to-back.
I did this with the 322 14 & 12 fretters and I experienced the same sound between the two.
I think they could have made up for their error by offering you a BOGO promo!
Old 01-12-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
I think they could have made up for their error by offering you a BOGO promo!
The sales associate did tell me, "don't worry, we'll make it up to you".
Old 02-22-2020, 10:22 AM

I‘ve tried the 322ce 12 fret and love it but never had a chance to get my hands on a 324. I play mostly Blues (Keb Mo Style) and stuff from the Eagles and Stones. So 50/50 Fingerpicking and strumming. Am I missing something when I don‘t try the 324? Is the lowend of the 324 better or just louder? From the videos I think the lowend with 12 fret is equally good, if not better. Im just 165cm, so rather small and small hands. 12 fret is really comfortable but I‘m fine with a 114ce so I should be fine with a 324 too.
Old 02-22-2020, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbabst View Post
I‘ve tried the 322ce 12 fret and love it but never had a chance to get my hands on a 324. I play mostly Blues (Keb Mo Style) and stuff from the Eagles and Stones. So 50/50 Fingerpicking and strumming. Am I missing something when I don‘t try the 324? Is the lowend of the 324 better or just louder? From the videos I think the lowend with 12 fret is equally good, if not better. Im just 165cm, so rather small and small hands. 12 fret is really comfortable but I‘m fine with a 114ce so I should be fine with a 324 too.
Welcome to AGF, mbabst. Are you missing something by not playing a 324? Maybe. However, I think the better question is whether that something you may be missing between the two guitars is important to you. And only you can answer that. For the record, here's what the marketing folks at Taylor have to say...

Grand Concert

Body Length: 19 1/2" / Body Width: 15" / Body Depth: 4 3/8"

Clarity and balance reign in this small, comfortable body shape

The smaller body and tapered waist make it the ultimate studio and stage guitar

Features a short scale and lighter string tension making it easier to play

The small-body Grand Concert debuted in 1984 to meet the needs of a new wave of adventurous acoustic fingerstyle players. In contrast to the traditionally darker, boomier voices of bigger body styles like dreadnoughts and jumbos, the GC’s compact size and tapered waist kept the overtones in check. It was also more comfortable to play while sitting down, and the guitar’s slightly wider neck gave players more room for complex fingerings. The GC’s smaller sonic footprint also fit cleanly in a mix with other instruments when tracking in the studio and with a band on stage, making it a useful tool for professional session and side players. Our current generation of GC models continues to accommodate fingerstylists with finger-friendly traits like a shorter 24 7/8-inch scale length, which makes fretting easier and adds a slightly slinkier feel on the strings due to the lighter string tension. If you feel more comfortable with a small body or favor controlled overtones, a Grand Concert is a great option.

The smallest of Taylor’s full-size body shapes. Its compact dimensions make for a physically comfortable guitar with an intimate feel and sound. The smaller footprint keeps the overtones in check, contributing to a focused, articulate sound that’s well-suited for recording and stage work.

Grand Auditorium

Body Length: 20" / Body Width: 16" / Body Depth: 4 5/8"

Taylor's signature shape embodies the ultimate all-purpose acoustic.

An original Bob Taylor design introduced in 1994

Full in the lower register, present in the midrange, and sparkling on the treble strings

Our most popular shape and a good place to begin your search

Our most popular and versatile body shape, the mid-size Grand Auditorium arrived in 1994 bearing refined proportions that fell between a Dreadnought and Grand Concert. While the bigger Dreadnought was traditionally considered a flatpicker’s guitar and the smaller Grand Concert catered to fingerstylists, the GA was designed to deliver on both fronts. The shape produced an original acoustic voice that was big enough to handle medium-strength picking and strumming, yet with impressive balance across the tonal spectrum, especially in the midrange, producing clear, well-defined notes that suited both strumming and fingerstyle playing. The GA’s overall presence tracks well with other instruments both in a studio mix and on stage, and singer-songwriters have embraced its utility both for composing and traveling with one guitar. Many people want a single guitar that can cover a variety of styles, which is why the GA continues to be our bestselling shape. If you want a great all-purpose guitar, the multi-dimensional GA won’t let you down.

Last edited by RP; 02-22-2020 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-22-2020, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That compare feature is a pretty useful thing! I could definitely hear a difference between the 12 and 14-fret versions of the 322, with the 14-fret having more presence in the bass, which I think is what some earlier posters said. Helps to use headphones. And more bass in the 324 vs the 322 (both 14 fret), which is expected from the larger body of the 324. The OP might get at least a partial answer from the Taylor website. Obviously would need to sit down with them at some point. Having looked at this, I feel a 322 in my future.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
That compare feature is a pretty useful thing! I could definitely hear a difference between the 12 and 14-fret versions of the 322, with the 14-fret having more presence in the bass, which I think is what some earlier posters said. Helps to use headphones. And more bass in the 324 vs the 322 (both 14 fret), which is expected from the larger body of the 324. The OP might get at least a partial answer from the Taylor website. Obviously would need to sit down with them at some point. Having looked at this, I feel a 322 in my future.
I see this is an old thread, but having played and owned a few taylors, the ones I have kept are the 12-fretters. This is because of the remarkable bass tone they make because of the rearward shifted bridge and bracing. Better bass tone than the GA 14 frets- IMO
Old 02-23-2020, 12:51 AM

Thank you all, I‘ll go for a 322ce 12 fret!
Old 02-23-2020, 10:20 AM

Default Both great guitars.

I recently bought a 322e 12 fret.
The shop where I bought it had the 322e 12 fret, 324, and the 327.
Speaking of first world problems, I went into the shop to try out the 327, and sitting there was the 322e 12 fret,,,,a guitar that I have been wanting for a long time.
I played all three guitars, and was surprised sat how different they sounded.
The 327 was a really nice guitar, but just didn't do it for me.
The 324 was an excellent guitar, very balanced, with plenty of bass, awesome mids, and controlled trebles.
I preferred it to the 327.
Then I played the 322e 12 fret.
It didn't blow me away at first, but had something that I just couldn't put down.
If I didn't already have a few guitars that checked all the boxes the 324 did, I would have bought the 324.
The 322 brings something new to the table.
Mine has a lot of volume for a GC guitar. With a lot of warmth that some would translate to Bass.
By the way it isn't lacking bass.
I have experimented with different strings given that I typically don't like Elixers.
I have gone back to the elixir HD lights for this little guy.
The 322 isn't a very versatile guitar, due to the fact that it has such a unique tone, but if you like the tone, it will be hard to replace.
I have played a lot of 12 frets over the year, but this wood combo brings something new to the table.
Good luck with your new guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion