The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-15-2017, 08:37 PM

Congrats on the new P12, Johnny, and keep your feedback coming.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny5 View Post
Good to know Dave, thanks... did you go through the dealer you bought from or directly to Rainsong (and/or Fishman)?
I called the dealer and Rainsong but ultimately was put in touch with Fishman and they sent out the replacement directly to me. I had a luthier friend help with the installation as I wasn't familiar but it turned out to be easy and I could have done it alone.
Hope your solution is that easy.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Congrats on the new P12, Johnny, and keep your feedback coming.
Thanks Ted! I wish you were on the Right Coast(or well, or I was on the left)! You have pretty much everything that I wanted to try and it seems like you run a great shop!
Old 08-16-2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frettingflyer View Post
I called the dealer and Rainsong but ultimately was put in touch with Fishman and they sent out the replacement directly to me. I had a luthier friend help with the installation as I wasn't familiar but it turned out to be easy and I could have done it alone.
Hope your solution is that easy.
Awesome thx bud. I have a really fantastic luthier that I use, I'll bring it to him for a setup and a look at the saddle next week before our next gig. I'm hoping the element under the saddle needs some quick adjusting and that fixes it. If not I'll reach out to Rainsong right away for other options.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:28 AM

Johnny5,
You sound like a very happy camper!
A big congratulations!
Rainsongs are awesome, and I love that chunky N2 neck.
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 08-17-2017, 06:31 AM

I just got a great deal on a new CH-PA. It was not on my radar as I had resigned myself to carrying a beater on vacations and throwing it out if it got checked and crushed. I've played a few used P12s and P14s at various Guitar Centers and Sam Ash stores and always thought they were OK but not remarkable. Probably not helped by crappy strings beaten to death. So my expectations were kind of low.

Well it does not have the bass of a dreadnought, but it is amazingly loud. The tone when someone else plays is really impressive. What I hear when I play is best when I slouch, but still I think very good for a parlor.

I had one of the first Concert dreadnoughts and played it for a few years before my three year T5z/A6ultra/TelecasterAcoustasonic fling. I ended up selling it since it was collecting dust (and I've since returned to gigging with a H-DR). So what I want to say is the latest cosmetics are outstanding. RainSong has finally got a satin finish down pat and it softens the 2x2 twill look of the back/sides nicely and feels great on the neck. The unidirectional top does not betray it's thinning out at the sides and the flange used to mount it to the sides. There are no stray carbon fibers underneath the gloss top finish. And as a pure matter of taste, I very much like the all black look. NICE JOB!

By the way that beater FG800 has a new home as I gave it to a kid a few houses down the street. His parents had been renting him a guitar that would discourage most of us. He seems ecstatic. Well worth the cost. You could only get maybe one appointment with a good shrink for the price of an FG800...
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 08-17-2017 at 06:58 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:47 AM

Congrats Jon!
Old 08-17-2017, 09:50 AM
Guest 928

Jon;

Nice gift, a generous way of keeping the music rolling.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:52 AM

Congrats, Jon, and great review.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations, Jon - I was surprised when I first played a RS Parlor, but how close in sound it was to my Shorty.

Regarding that "slouching" thing... sounds like you may be a candidate for an offset soundhole on the next guitar.

Enjoy your new RS Parlor!

Jim
Old 08-17-2017, 07:38 PM
Charter Member

I'm always very impressed by the kindness and generosity of the members here when they give a nice guitar to a child (or adult) in need. Way to go Jon.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
I'm always very impressed by the kindness and generosity of the members here when they give a nice guitar to a child (or adult) in need. Way to go Jon.
Exactly!
Nice job Jon paying it forward!
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 08-27-2017, 04:38 PM

OK gigged it a couple of more times.... and I had my luthier look into the "quiet" e-string. In 5 minutes he had the saddle out, and noticed that it was not level. I believe I mentioned in the opening thread that when I bought it the dealer was hard-selling me on this vs. the CH-OM. He was doing everything he could including bringing it in the back to lower the action (which I asked him to do). He ground the saddle to a good height but ground it on an angle. Initially my luthier said he would probably need to replace the saddle because it was already so low... but I said, you know me the lower the better... if it aint buzzin I'm good to go! lol

So he leveled the saddle, fitted it in nicely... voila! All strings sound pretty even. So if I didn't like this guitar enough already.... now I like it even more. I am really getting used to the neck and it is super fast. Still sounds great. Very much enjoying it. And the Fishman Sounds great through the PA.

On the Fishman I know some people don't like the under saddle elements because of the tone... and I prefer the tone of my K&K slightly... however it cuts more through the mix and I EQ it to a place I like fairly easily (ton of control on this barn door)... and I LOVE how it picks up my picking dynamics. I am really able to vary my attack and it picks up every nuance.

Final verdict... It's a big time keeper (and a half... lol). My outdoor gigging is conquered (and I like it inside too)... lol
Old 08-28-2017, 09:07 AM

Thanks for the update, Johnny! Definitely sounds like you have a keeper.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:06 PM

For sure, Thanks Ted!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber