The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-24-2007, 09:04 AM

Owning a Bourgeois Slope D myself, I wondered the same thing re: why someone would go from that to an AJ... but then I find myself regularly searching dealer webpages, ebay, etc. for vintage Gibson slope D guitars... sure I have a modern take on a classic, but I'd love to also own a piece w/ age & mojo & the tone that goes with it. Of course, I have no idea how to fund such a thing at present, but a guy can dream, can't he?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewrg View Post
...and I always wanted one.
All the justification anyone ever needs
Best of luck in your search.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

I agree that the cost of an instrument has nothing to do with the attachment we have with it. My AJ is the most expensive acoustic
I own. I bought a Guild D30 last summer for a couple hundred and have been playing it a lot more than my AJ lately.

After buying my AJ, I had a K&K pickup installed. I would have preferred my old standby Fishman Matrix pickup (which I have in 7 differant acoustics)
but found it is not a good fit due to the bridge. Since having the K&K installed I have been completely underwhelmed with the pickup. It sounds boxy regardless of EQ settings, or the use of an external preamp. Yesterday I was in my local music store (they installed the K&K) and I inquired about the K&K XLR preamp. They offered to order it for me and if I am not 100% satisfied with it, they will let me return it for a refund. I ordered one and should have it in about a week. I'll post a review after I get the preamp and try it out with my AJ. If it improves the sound to my satisfaction, I may consider installing a K&K pickup in the Guild D30 I bought last summer. If not the D30 is getting a Matrix and the preamp goes back to the store.

drive-south
Old 01-24-2007, 02:08 PM

trushack - Gibson acoustic and a Rickenbacker 12-string - you've got good taste, my man. I myself own a J-45 (also sunburst), a Ric 330MG, as well as a Ric 360-12VP FG. Out guitar collections could be confused ! Life is good ...
Old 12-23-2008, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

How did the K&K Preamp work out? Did it make the difference? Or did you opt for a different UST like the Fishman afterall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive-south View Post
I agree that the cost of an instrument has nothing to do with the attachment we have with it. My AJ is the most expensive acoustic
I own. I bought a Guild D30 last summer for a couple hundred and have been playing it a lot more than my AJ lately.

After buying my AJ, I had a K&K pickup installed. I would have preferred my old standby Fishman Matrix pickup (which I have in 7 differant acoustics)
but found it is not a good fit due to the bridge. Since having the K&K installed I have been completely underwhelmed with the pickup. It sounds boxy regardless of EQ settings, or the use of an external preamp. Yesterday I was in my local music store (they installed the K&K) and I inquired about the K&K XLR preamp. They offered to order it for me and if I am not 100% satisfied with it, they will let me return it for a refund. I ordered one and should have it in about a week. I'll post a review after I get the preamp and try it out with my AJ. If it improves the sound to my satisfaction, I may consider installing a K&K pickup in the Guild D30 I bought last summer. If not the D30 is getting a Matrix and the preamp goes back to the store.

drive-south
Old 12-23-2008, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverok View Post
trushack - Gibson acoustic and a Rickenbacker 12-string - you've got good taste, my man. I myself own a J-45 (also sunburst), a Ric 330MG, as well as a Ric 360-12VP FG. Out guitar collections could be confused ! Life is good ...
I, too, have a Gibson AJ and Rick 12-string. What fun!

To add to Trushack's comments and review on the AJ, I just traded out some light gauge phosphor bronze strings for some DR Sunbeam medium heavies (0.013 to 0.056) and they sound really good. More bass, more volume, and the difference in playability is not that much worse.

I have a very nice '68 Martin D-35 for comparison. As others have stated, the Martin sound is a little more "scooped" in the midrange -- more bass, more treble than the AJ, but a little less midrange. I love them both.

For flatpicking, there is no better guitar in my collection than the AJ. I also use it a lot for finger picking.

Thanks, Glenn
Old 12-23-2008, 03:03 PM

Great well written review. I always enjoy reading a review of someone with a new axe. Thanks for taking the time to share some of your joy with us. Very cool.

Steel and Wood, "Listen closely and she'll tell you her secrets" RG
Old 12-23-2008, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

The K&K XLR preamp is no magic bullet. I've heard theories about the impedance of this thing being better matched to their preamp, blah, blah, blah, but the addition of the preamp really made very little improvement in the performance of the K&K pickup.

Maybe it's just me, but I have never been happy with this combo, and as a result, the guitar is not getting played much. I play it at home but I don't take it out on gigs where it needs to be amplified.

drive-south

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion