The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-29-2014, 05:39 PM
Humanist

Default Rebecca Urlacher shop video...

Here is a new shop-video that my friend Rebecca Urlacher has just posted...I'm playing one of her guitars for the background music:

Rebecca Urlacher shop video...
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 08-29-2014, 05:52 PM

Beautiful sound, beautiful playing, Larry. A Nice little film too.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:38 PM
Guest 213

Very, very nice! Your playing was perfect for the mood of the video, Larry. Seeing videos like this makes me wish I were wealthy enough to order guitars from all the one-man/woman shops out there. I enjoy seeing how passionate these builders are.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:33 PM

The video was too short. You couldn't have played longer could you?
Old 08-29-2014, 10:45 PM

Larry,

How did Rebecca learn her craft? Did she apprentice with anyone?

Bill
Old 08-30-2014, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

What an excellent video! Great audio too (of course!)
Old 08-30-2014, 08:00 AM

That was a powerful video and the guitar playing was amazing. Good job.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:56 AM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgennaro View Post
Larry,

Bill

Thanks to ALL for the kind words, especially on behalf of Rebecca (and also for myself).

EDIT: Just got off the phone w/Rebecca...Books such as the Cumpiano publication were the pathway for Rebecca to get into building...she was an art major at UO (Ceramics, while on the golf team!)...and she taught herself woodworking, to get-into guitar-building! After her first few guitars she did visit with local classical-guitar builder Anders Sterner, but I'm sure that these were casual-visits. The two of them did team-up to build what I consider to be the most beautiful of guitar-stands...Rebecca sells these stands to the steel-string world, and Anders to the Classical...you can see these on their respective websites.

Rebecca is a soft-spoken individual, and not prone to engage in self-promoting activities...even at the local Marylhurst (Portland, OR) instrument show she is not out glad-handing with folks...so I am happy that this video was created. It was actually not something she sought out, but the video company heard of her and approached her to do this.

I believe that along with Steve Sheriff (Edwinson guitars) she is one of the great bargains of the handcrafted world right now.

Last edited by Larry Pattis; 08-30-2014 at 09:41 AM.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
I don't believe that Rebecca spent any significant time (a la the "apprenticeship" route) with any builders...and I'm not sure whose shop she may have visited.

I believe that she has developed her art with only pointers, etc. form other builders.

You know, I should ask her this...you'd think that I would know (I think maybe I did at one time, but the ol' brain is slow these days).

Thanks to ALL for the kind words, especially on behalf of Rebecca (and also for myself).

Rebecca is a soft-spoken individual, and not prone to engage in self-promoting activities...even at the local Marylhurst (Portland, OR) instrument show she is not out glad-handing with folks...so I am happy that this video was created. It was actually not something she sought out, but the video company heard of her and approached her to do this.

I believe that along with Steve Sheriff (Edwinson guitars) she is one of the great bargains of the handcrafted world right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billgennaro View Post
Larry,

Bill
According to her website she is mostly self-taught: http://www.urlacherguitars.com/about...-urlacher.html
Old 08-31-2014, 08:49 AM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by smerdyakov View Post
According to her website she is mostly self-taught: http://www.urlacherguitars.com/about...-urlacher.html
Good catch...it had been a while since I perused Rebecca's website.

Glad to see folks enjoying this...

Old 08-31-2014, 10:15 AM

Well done video!! Hats off to all involved in it's creation!
Old 08-31-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Just got off the phone w/Rebecca...Books such as the Cumpiano publication were the pathway for Rebecca to get into building...she was an art major at UO (Ceramics, while on the golf team!)...and she taught herself woodworking, to get-into guitar-building! After her first few guitars she did visit with local classical-guitar builder Anders Sterner, but I'm sure that these were casual-visits. The two of them did team-up to build what I consider to be the most beautiful of guitar-stands...Rebecca sells these stands to the steel-string world, and Anders to the Classical...you can see these on their respective websites.

Thanks for the info, Larry. I've never played one of her instruments but, based on what I see, they have a lovely visual aesthetic.

Bill

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop