The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-09-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary palmer View Post
Hi Buck,

Your calipers may need adjusting because your figures don't tally with the ones I normally work to.

You'll actually find saddles for both L and FG series measure in at 73.5mm x 3mm x 8mm. My measurements are taken from a number of spare Yamaha saddles from both the L & FG series and all share the same degree of compensation.

It doesn't take much work to produce accurate bone duplicates of existing saddles and - unless you prefer to buy off the shelf - I'd highly recommend making your own.

Hi Gary... good to see you over here on the AGF.

I'm pretty sure my caliper is fine (only 2 months old), but you never know. That being said, when it comes to replacing saddles, I believe it's better to start with more material and sand accordingly, just to play it safe. But I still don't know if the $8 bone saddle that foxden posted is compensated or not. It may just be a pre-shaped (non-compensated) bone saddle with a 12" to 20" top radius. I couldn't find any further info, hence, the word of caution. A "perfect fit" compensated bone saddle for only US$8.00 seems to good to be true. And as you know... if it seems to good to be true, it probably is.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:48 PM

Location: Survive in Winnipeg, Manitoba - just North of Fargo, N.D.

I put a custom made Bob Colosi bone saddle (and pins) on my FG-730S. No problemo and the improvement is nice.

Rob
Canada

Brackett Sitka/Walnut Dreads 'Carol Ann' and '26' plus other stringed stuff ...
Old 04-09-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck62 View Post
Hi Gary... good to see you over here on the AGF.

I'm pretty sure my caliper is fine (only 2 months old), but you never know. That being said, when it comes to replacing saddles, I believe it's better to start with more material and sand accordingly, just to play it safe. But I still don't know if the $8 bone saddle that foxden posted is compensated or not. It may just be a pre-shaped (non-compensated) bone saddle with a 12" to 20" top radius. I couldn't find any further info, hence, the word of caution. A "perfect fit" compensated bone saddle for only US$8.00 seems to good to be true. And as you know... if it seems to good to be true, it probably is.

It's good to be here and thankyou for the welcome.

In all honesty I always prefer to begin with slightly oversized blanks and work them down to size, but have found the vast majority of Yamaha saddles I've made lately tend to match the measurements I gave in my previous post. Those measurements provide a comfortably snug fit for L and FG series bridges.

Stock/off the shelf bone saddles typically tend to be less expensive when made en mass and they are often available for very reasonable sums. In terms of dealing with Yamaha I'd tend to fire them an e-mail or telephone call enquiring more detail before placing an order. I think it's perfectly plausible for mass produced and compensated spares to be available at very reasonable rates, but would expect them to come in at approximately the price of a compensated Tusq saddle.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:27 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Or just order a Bob Colosi saddle...maybe something other than bone if you want.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 04-09-2009, 05:45 PM

By perfect fit, I meant that it fits the slot in the Yamaha bridge. Of the shelf replacements are not long enough.

It is not compensate, as the original was. You would have to file the top accordingly to match the original. My intonation was fine without altering the top any.

I merely was trying to direct people to a site where genuine Yamaha parts can be purchased. Speaking to thier techs by phone would provide more detailed information if one wanted.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Junkie View Post
Note to the above on "do your own" It is a sense of pride you share with everyone in the house. The stench of sanded bone is intense.
-Oh, tell me about it. I never gave it a thought until I ran the bone through a thickness sander. Oi!!! Man what a smell! Live and learn I guess. Here's a couple links to the pics of my saddle making. I didn't get any of me running it through the thickness sander though. Some of the pics look a bit yellow, but the bone saddle is the whiter colored of the two.

http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a99.../New%20Saddle/
http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a99...le%20Part%202/

L8R,
Matt

Last edited by AnthemBassMan; 04-09-2009 at 06:16 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:29 PM

This is awesome. I was already a member here and in a google search to find a replacement saddle for my Yamaha I ended up here.

Thanks..

Taylor DN3E - -Gone but not forgotten
Martin D28 - Fishman Matrix Infinity
Takamine EG341SC - My Camping Companion

Old 05-07-2009, 04:11 PM

I actually had ordered two at different times. One was compensated for the B string and the other not. The bone part is shown on their LL series diagram, so I assume it does fit that guitar as well as the FG series.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:03 PM

Hi foxden: I, too, am finding that most of the stock saddles I find online are too short to fit into an old FG guitar that I have. Just to confirm: is the saddle on your FG730S measure about 84mm in length? And if so, is the bone saddle *(part U9337909) a good fit?

Thanks.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Hi foxden: I, too, am finding that most of the stock saddles I find online are too short to fit into an old FG guitar that I have. Just to confirm: is the saddle on your FG730S measure about 84mm in length? And if so, is the bone saddle *(part U9337909) a good fit?
Another alternative is to have Bob Colosi make you a "long" Taylor saddle. When I was looking to replace the saddle in my Yamaha FG730S is noticed that the shape of the Yamaha saddle was very similar to the shape of my Taylor saddles, just longer. Bob agreed to add a couple of mm to his stock Tayor build and it worked just great. Just be sure to get the same additional mm's added to each end so that the B string compensation stays in the same place.

The price is more than ordering from Yamaha, but it's pretty hard to beat a Colosi saddle..........at any price.

Gary
Yamaha NTX700
Recording King ROS-06
Greg Bennett OM 8CE
Yamaha CGX 171 SCF Flamenco
Ibanez AG95 DBS
Old 11-29-2009, 08:06 PM

Thanks Gary. I think I'll probably get a Bob Colosi saddle this week, given all the good things I've heard about it. Thanks for the helpful information so I can get the right part.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:05 PM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck62 View Post
I'm pretty sure my caliper is fine (only 2 months old), but you never know.
I don't have my LL16 with me now, but I do have a precision dental mould of its saddle (I made it because I needed to send a copy to Bob Colosi for duplication). Assuming that hasn't expanded with time, I too measure something close to 75mm for length.

P.S. If some of you L-series owners were not requested by Bob to send in your saddles for duplication, I'm guessing he *might* be using mine as a template!
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )

Last edited by mmmaak; 11-29-2009 at 09:10 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:21 PM

i bought a saddle from bob for my 700s, he said it would be the right one and hes right. very easy for some1 who doesnt know how to use the correct touch with calipers to think they are not the right size. heck if some is not level or squeezes even a touch they can be off thousands.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:18 PM

Good info guys. I've got a FG730s that will be here Wednesday and plan on upgrading mine. I'd hate to leave it completely stock.
Rogue Spider Resonator
Fishman Loudbox Mini
L.R. Baggs Venue
Kentucky KM-505 mando
Hohner Special 20 harps
Old 11-29-2009, 10:55 PM

I don't have an exact measurement, but the saddle is longer than the standard ones I have seen for sale elsewhere. This fits the entire length of the groove cut in the bridge perfectly.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion