The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-05-2013, 05:41 PM

I think white binding is ugly - just not my taste is all. I much prefer wood binding but if I gotta go with plastic I'll take tortoise.

Even the maple binding on Larrivee's are not my favorite. But I can cope...
Old 05-05-2013, 05:55 PM

I doubt wether my vintage Ibanez and Gibson use Ivoroid bindings but after 35 years it sure doesn't look white anymore. People nowadays just can't wait for the ageing process to go it's own natural way anymore, it has to look vintage right out of the production line, preferrably smell vintage too, with a hint of alcohol and cigarettes.
Vintage toners will look like darkbrown tops in 35 years from now and then that will become the new toner for the year 2048 untill what remains are only black vintage toners in the year 3000, that is if people still play guitars made of wood.

Ludwig

Last edited by Von Beerhofen; 05-05-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
Hi Paul,
Big deal. Really big deal. Binding is put in prior to finish. The labor involved in taking the binding out cleanly and then replacing and sanding flush probably isn't even the worst part of the job. I think that the guitar gets refinished then.
Holy smokes, Jim - yeah, big deal. Well, that was a good Sunday fantasy . . .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion