The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-09-2017, 11:32 AM
Humanist

It appears that Tom's website is indeed a bit out of date.

I know that he is in the middle of a move/re-location from St. Louis to near Ann Arbor, Michigan right now, so I would be patient with expecting any possible updates in the immediate future.

I do believe that the info from vpolineni (just above) is 100% spot on. Everything is double-sides, and all guitars have the adjustable neck feature.

I also see that he does not list the "3" on his "Guitars" page...but again,vpolineni's info is correct...it's likely his most-popular models are indeed the "1" and the "3", as smaller, OM-ish sized guitars.

One thing about Tom's french polish top...I believe that in-between the shellac layers (there are always many layers on a FP finish) he has some other material (one-layer) that adds a bit of hardness/protection without sacrificing vibration. Ya' gotta love the FP finish for tone, for sure.

The neck adjustments are located via the soundhole of the front of the neck-block...easy-access, and adjustments are made with full string tension.

...and now, come to think of it, I have some updates on *my* website to work on...!
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 12-09-2017, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Wink

..... Thanks for the update, guys. But herein is the confusion:

"I do believe that the info from vpolineni (just above) is 100% spot on. Everything is double-sides, and all guitars have the adjustable neck feature."

See this one being sold by Eddies Guitars:

https://eddiesguitars.com/used-thomas-rein-r3-cocobolo

It's only 3 years old, & has no neck adjustments (according to Eddies). Now it is labeled as an "R3" not a "RJN3" which might account for that. But according to many, including Tom, all his steel strings have it. I suppose this could have been a special order, but all of Tom's models on his site are excluding the "JN" in the model #. That led me to believe he's building them without the feature now. I understand from you guys that this is not the case, but you can see where the confusion sets in. I guess the bottom line is, he has both out there, with & without the adjustable neck. The key is in the "JN" in the serial #. Hopefully web sites will be updated soon.
Steve

Last edited by Stevien; 12-09-2017 at 01:00 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:42 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevien View Post
..... Thanks for the update, guys. But herein is the confusion:

"I do believe that the info from vpolineni (just above) is 100% spot on. Everything is double-sides, and all guitars have the adjustable neck feature."

See this one being sold by Eddies Guitars:

https://eddiesguitars.com/used-thomas-rein-r3-cocobolo

It's only 3 years old, & has no neck adjustments (according to Eddies). Now it is labeled as an "R3" not a "RJN3" which might account for that. But according to many, including Tom, all his steel strings have it. I suppose this could have been a special order, but all of Tom's models on his site are excluding the "JN" in the model #. That led me to believe he's building them without the feature now. I understand from you guys that this is not the case, but you can see where the confusion sets in. Hopefully web sites will be updated soon.
Steve

Tom has emailed me, and is having to contact a Mod to somehow get his account on the AGF re-activated based on a password issue...he will chime in when he can, to clarify any confusion.

I stand by my comments, at least as they relate to what is happening today, and not from 3 years ago...

I also commented directly about Tom's move, websites, etc.

Anyone requiring information in regards to a potential purchase for a guitar that is "out there/available" or commission can easily contact Tom to clear up any confusion.

That's what I did.

I agree that the world would be simpler if everyone's website were updated automatically to be current...but that's not always the case with human beings, maintaining them while juggling other life-issues...myself included.

Please let me know if there are any other issues that I can help clarify...and $4K for a guitar (at Eddie's) of the build-quality I have in my own hands right now is one heckuva bargain, regardless of ancillary features...I think that Tom has been building great guitars for quite a long time.

EDIT: Where in Oregon are you located...maybe you'd like to come just south of Eugene to see/hear my RJN-3C directly...?

Last edited by Larry Pattis; 12-09-2017 at 01:01 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

Wink

...and $4K for a guitar (at Eddie's) of the build-quality I have in my own hands right now is one heckuva bargain, regardless of ancillary features...

..... My thoughts exactly.

...Where in Oregon are you located...maybe you'd like to come just south of Eugene to see/hear my RJN-3C directly...?

..... Forest Grove; halfway between Portland & the coast. Long drive.
Steve
Old 12-09-2017, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

Stellar, Larry. The sound is crisp and lively. I think that guitar fits you well. I love the bends you’re employing.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 12-10-2017, 02:36 PM
Humanist

Tom continues to have password/logon problems, and he asked me to post the following, so that all questions are answered directly.

From Tom Rein:
Quote:
First, let me thank Larry for his write-up and videos of his recently purchased guitar. It is always gratifying to hear one of my guitars in the hands of such a gifted musician. As Larry mentioned, I am in the process of moving to the Ann Arbor, MI area and my computer is back in St Louis. I have been relying on 4G for communication and it is distinctly difficult typing on a cell phone. I had my computer remember my login for the AGF.so I would not have to enter it each time I visited. Well, that works great if you are always by the same computer. I am trying to reset my password but it is proving to be a bit difficult. So Larry has agreed to copy and paste this email into an AGF posting under his profile. Hopefully the password issue will be resolved quickly and I can post directly to the AGF.

The consensus that my website is out of date is correct. My web guy and his wife recently had a child and he's a bit frayed with this and his regular job. It seems nearly everyone I have met in Ann Arbor is in the tech world in some fashion so I believe it will be easier to keep my site up to date. I wish I could maintain my site myself, but being in my mid-60s pretty much guarantees that web development is not a native attribute!

Anyway, some questions have come up in this thread that I would like to answer.

All my guitars are now made with my adjustable neck joint, the so-called RJN (Rein Adjustable Neck). So, to be correct, all the model numbers of guitars shown on the site should have RJN as a prefix. The number corresponds to the size. My Model 3 is very much a current model. I do not make an exact OM-style guitar. My Model 3 is meant to fit in the OM size category, but with deeper sides than an OM. I've always liked a more rounded outline and the curve of the lower bout between the waist and tail block puts your arm in a very natural position.Vasu posted pics of the first version of the RJN, with the adjustment screw on the outside of the guitar buried in the heel. This somewhat resembles the clock key adjustment mechanism as seen on Stauffer guitars, although this first version of the RJN was designed to be much more solid than the early Viennese designs. About 4 years ago, I re-vamped the RJN so that all the action adjustments are carried out by manipulating 2 hex-head cap screws located on the headblock. The one to the left is a locking mechanism and the one to the right and situated lower on the block is the actual action adjusting screw. To adjust the action, simply loosen the locking mechanism, dial in the string height while up to pitch, and re-tighten the locking mechanism. These adjustments are carried out through the soundhole with a long handled, ball-end T-driver that I furnish with the guitar.

The guitar that was mentioned at Eddie's Guitars is 5 years old. It was one of the last ones I made with a non-adjustable neck attachment. It is a full bolt-on so adjusting the neck angle is much easier than a glued-in dovetail. This guitar was the first one I made from cocobolo, which started me on a path of coco obsession. This guitar does not have double sides. It has a French polished soundboard and nitro back, sides, and neck.

I am always happy to answer questions through my website email.

Old 12-10-2017, 04:36 PM

Exciting news, Larry! Best, Tim
Old 12-10-2017, 10:47 PM
Charter Member

Wink

..... Thanks for the update, Larry & Tom! Some interesting stuff here to say the least!
Steve
Old 12-23-2017, 04:44 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Porter View Post
Exciting news, Larry! Best, Tim

Life is always exciting...except when it isn't, which is pretty rare...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevien View Post
..... Thanks for the update, Larry & Tom! Some interesting stuff here to say the least!
Steve

Glad to help.

I think Tom is building great instruments.

...and yeah, I've been enjoying the new RJN-3C guitar quite a bit.
Did a coupla' quick demos today, here's one of them:

Here's the second:

Last edited by Larry Pattis; 12-23-2017 at 05:04 PM.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

Default Aloha Larry. Man, Your Music is Fine!

Aloha Larry,

Thank you for sharing those wonderful, interesting & well-played original clips with us. Your solo music is so fine!

Also, having read your story for a long time now, I am very happy that you can play some of the long scale designs once again without pain. Life is a certainly a circle sometimes, huh! Congrats on that.

I wish I lived near you. I'd enjoy a live concert of your music anytime.

Man, great guitars aside, you could play an Estefan & make it sound fantastic! So good, your music.

All the best & Happy holidays to you, Larry.

Mahalo a nui,

alohachris
Old 12-25-2017, 03:24 PM
Humanist

Thanks for these kind words, Chris.

Yes, it’s always our job to make whatever we’re playing sound as good as possible...but the fingers/strings/guitar/ears feedback-loop with a great guitar is always an inspiration to reach for more...so I’m glad to be able to make some good sounds with Tom’s instrument.

It’s been a great many years since Karla and I visited Hawaii, but maybe *next* winter we can plan for something. Love to meet up, if that could happen.

Old 12-25-2017, 04:02 PM

Great news, Larry (that I somehow missed until now)! Thanks for posting this.
Old 12-25-2017, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

Larry,

I am glad to read that you are doing much better, so much so that you are able to play a full scale instrument once again. Not having heard of Rein guitars, I am finding this thread quite interesting. Also, fine playing as I have come to expect from you.

I do have one question as a result of reading this thread...

What is the advantage of "double sides"? I have two guitars with that feature. One is my William Kelday 000 12 fret, and the other is my Brunton classical guitar. Not being knowledge on all things guitar, I am interested in this aspect of guitar building.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 12-25-2017, 10:15 PM

Tony, Different builders use double sides for different reasons: immunity to cracking and more robust construction. Some use double sides as a means weight-reduction: A conventional thickness side is glued up with 2 thin layers, the inner layer being a less dense wood.
I am following the lead of Daniel Friederich who uses two 2mm plies glued together to make the rim assembly much more rigid.
Here's a mental exercise to demonstrate why I use double sides:
Picture a guitar up to pitch with no soundboard in place. Impossible, yes. But if somehow this could be accomplished the guitar would fold roughly in half, with the waist being the "fold line". This mental image shows us that the soundboard is necessary to hold the box together and is absorbing a fair amount of purely compressive tension, i.e. the tension pulling between both ends of the string (the head and the bridge). A more rigid rim assembly is less prone to deflection from string tension and can thereby absorb more of this compressive tension. By transferring some of this tension (force) to the rigid rim assembly the soundboard is freed up to respond to the motion of the strings, which is from where the sound emanates.
Old 12-26-2017, 04:51 AM
Charter Member

Thanks to Larry and Thomas for this very interesting thread!

I have a Mike Baranik 00m with an adjustable neck and double sides.

The adjustable neck is a fantastic feature, for all of the reasons others have already described.

As far as the double sides go, my impression is that the added stiffness they bring to the table makes it possible to have a thinner, and therefore more responsive, soundboard and back. I am amazed at how much the back of my guitar vibrates when I play compared to other guitars I'm familiar with, while the sides barely vibrate at all. The overall impression is that the box comes to life with the slightest brush of the strings and keeps pumping out the sound as you ramp up the attack. In fact, this guitar and my Baranik Parlor have an astonishing amount of headroom, yet respond sweetly to a softer touch.
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop