The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-09-2017, 03:22 PM

Default Hollow-body Pickups

I like the tone of my Ibanez hollow-body electric but have been thinking about getting a set-up done and upgrading the pickups.

Any suggestions.??
Old 12-09-2017, 03:45 PM

There are a lot of options. Here's one: A few years ago I bought an Epiphone ES335 with the sole purpose of upgrading the electronics. I decided I wanted vintage tone. After a lot of research I bought/installed a BCS Vintage ES335 wiring kit and two Seymoure Duncan Antiquity humbuckers.

Dollar for dollar, this upgrade is one of the best gear investments I have ever made.

http://bcsguitars.com/?page_id=2760
https://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup...-humbucker-set

Side bar: How do you like your OM-40? Is it a good strummer as well as a fingerpicker?
Old 12-09-2017, 03:56 PM
Guitar Gourmet

If you are looking for a vintage humbucker tone I can telly you the Gibson '57 Classics are really, really nice. I've got them on an ES-335 and an SG and love them. I also installed Seymour Duncan JB SH-4 and '59 SH-1 in my son's Epi '58 Flying V repro and was very happy with the results.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-09-2017, 06:04 PM

Another option is a Seymour Duncan '59. As Bob mentioned (^) the '57 Classics are one of Gibson's best pickups but they are a little pricey compared to SD.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

Oh man, you have so many options you can get lost in them. People are paying high dollars for boutique pickups, but IMO, the basic pickups are excellent:

-- Gibson 57s

-- Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers

-- Even the original Ibanez Super 58s

can't go wrong with any of them.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 12-09-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
I like the tone of my Ibanez hollow-body electric but have been thinking about getting a set-up done and upgrading the pickups.

Any suggestions??
Get the setup done - if you like the tone why mess with it...
Old 12-09-2017, 11:42 PM

I'll look at the 57/58 Gibson's. And the Seymours and the Ibanez too. Looking around is half the fun.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
There are a lot of options. Here's one: A few years ago I bought an Epiphone ES335 with the sole purpose of upgrading the electronics. I decided I wanted vintage tone. After a lot of research I bought/installed a BCS Vintage ES335 wiring kit and two Seymoure Duncan Antiquity humbuckers.

Dollar for dollar, this upgrade is one of the best gear investments I have ever made.

http://bcsguitars.com/?page_id=2760
https://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup...-humbucker-set

Side bar: How do you like your OM-40? Is it a good strummer as well as a fingerpicker?
The Larrivee is fantastic. As for strumming, I was hammering on it this morning. It's a do it all guitar. The tone is opening up after just 2 months. Can't say enough good about it.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:30 AM

Default Jazz or Blues?

What kind of music are you into? I have an epi dot ES 339 I did a lot of online research and came close to splurging on classic 57s but it was a lot of $$$ for what is my number 3 behind a tele and a Gretsch. I ended up taking a gamble on Stewart McDonald's Parson Street for less than half the cost of the Gibsons. They are a classic PAF copy. They're unpotted so there's less of the compressed powerhouse and they're reportedly more prone to squealing if you play at extremely high stage volumes (which I don't). The sound is more open, lot's of depth and sonic detail, totally changed the guitar, lots more character and fun to play.

Update: I just discover Johnny A on another forum and caught some videos of the epiphone version of his signature thin line guitar series. They're loaded with Gibson classic 57s just like the original Gibson version and the pickups are amazing, I'm lusting for that guitar now.

Last edited by RoyBoy; 01-20-2018 at 07:50 PM. Reason: update
Old 12-10-2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
The Larrivee is fantastic. As for strumming, I was hammering on it this morning. It's a do it all guitar. The tone is opening up after just 2 months. Can't say enough good about it.
Thanks, 3notes, much appreciated.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:13 AM

Granted it’s a semi hollow body, but I just put a set of SD Pearly Gates in my PRS Se Custom 22 semi hollow and they sound really nice. I’m still tweaking them where I want them, they seem pretty sensitive to height adjustment, but every position seems to have a nice sound.

Guild F-130NAT
Alvarez RD-8
Old 01-08-2018, 06:07 AM

Red face

I love the Seymour Duncan 59 in the neck of my Tele. Also love the Duncan Pearly Gates in the bridge but not as sure if it would pair well with a hollow, but it screams.

Gretsch 6228FM
Fender Troy Van Leeuwen Jazzmaster
Michael Tuttle T style
Old 01-08-2018, 11:48 AM

Not cheap, but really well made.

https://www.throbak.com/paf-pickups-...pre-t-201.html
Old 01-21-2018, 01:56 AM

Are the pole pieces adjustable? If so, try replacing the magnets. Odds are they have A5 magnets in them. Try ordering some A4’s, some A2’s, maybe some UOA5 rough magnets too. They are maybe $5 a set. I’d recommend swapping out the input socket and pots too, unless the pots are full size already. Maybe try a new capacitor or two also. If your not happy with these cheap yet useful mods, then I’d suggest looking to spend money on pickups. While your at it, maybe upgrade the bridge, saddle and studs. You could do everything but the pickups for under $100 if you do your own work
1976 Martin 000-18
1989 Martin 000-16M
2015 Martin 00-DB Jeff Tweedy
2012 Gibson J-45 Custom
2017 Gibson J-35
1971 Alvarez K. Yairi Classical
1970 Lou J Mancuso nylon string hybrid
Harmony Sovereign H1260
30's MayBell Model 6
Nash MW-500
1998 Yamaha LS-10
2003 Tacoma EKK9

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars