The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-27-2017, 03:33 PM

Question Need non-standard tuning pegs for old Yamaha Dynamic

Hi Folks,

New to the forum...

I have a Yamaha Dynamic Guitar No 20 that I bought used back in 1968. It has been in storage since moving for a long long time. The white plastic string winders on the tuning machines are cracked. I will replace both trees but cannot find replacements that will fit. The distance between the white pegs on center is 33 mm and 35 mm respectively. However, all replacements offered online are 35 mm and 35 mm on center. I did extensive searches. I ordered a new set anyway to see if I could force it, but no luck. Anyone have a better alternative to modifying the holes in the headstock.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumber View Post
Hi Folks,

New to the forum...

I have a Yamaha Dynamic Guitar No 20 that I bought used back in 1968. It has been in storage since moving for a long long time. The white plastic string winders on the tuning machines are cracked. I will replace both trees but cannot find replacements that will fit. The distance between the white pegs on center is 33 mm and 35 mm respectively. However, all replacements offered online are 35 mm and 35 mm on center. I did extensive searches. I ordered a new set anyway to see if I could force it, but no luck. Anyone have a better alternative to modifying the holes in the headstock.
Hmm. I've never come across classical machine heads with different spacing between the rollers like this. Older guitars sometimes have 36 or 39 mm between adjacent rollers, but always the same between pairs.

You could go with individual machines. Schertler makes a set that you can get from Stewmac, and you can find Rubner singles on eBay. Either way you're looking at just over $100 for a set. If you're looking for a budget option you could get a cheaper set and cut the plates with a hacksaw. If you get something with straight plate sides and measure/cut carefully, you can make it look pretty decent. If it's just the rollers that are the issue, you can probably find replacement rollers as well, though it may be tough to get some that work with your existing worm gears.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:29 PM

Can the old rollers be repaired? I've successfully used epoxy on an old broken plastic tuner button, andthe rollers aren't under much strain when the string is on them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical