The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-16-2011, 05:51 PM

Default Trigger-Finger Surgery Tomorrow

Well, after two cortisone shots last year that each held for only 3-4 months, my trigger-finger issues remained to the point where my doc wanted to do some snipping. So tomorrow morning I'm off to have my right middle finger fixed. The doc says not to worry, that all will be fine, but it's still a bit scary. I postponed buying a wireless system just in case I never play again .
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 03-16-2011, 05:53 PM

Sorry to hear it. I've got the same in my right hand ring finger, just got shot #2, Doc says he does a max of 3 before surgery. He tells me after surgery, no problem playing.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:25 PM

Boy's, I've been there and done that. 4 times and still not cured. I've had my ring and middle finger on both hand done - all at different times - and now I'm beginning to get it back in the middle finger of my right hand. I still play - rythem guitar - and don't have too much of a problem, although I cannot span too far between my index finger and pinkie. When I wake up in the mornings my hands feel like they are swollen and they hurt. Don't know which is better - drinking that 1st cup of coffee or just holding that hot mug in my hands. And for the one who have not been through this let me tell you that those cortizone shots hurts way more than the surgury. They take a needle and go in between your fingers down into the palm. That shot will make you ruin a pair of drawers real quick. But the surgury will help with your fingers "locking" into a curled position and is relative simple.

As explained to me by my doctor the root of triger finger is;
Think of the knuckles in your fingers as a pully. Think of the tendons as ropes. As most people work (mechanics, construction, laborers, ect) we tend to abuse our hands. When a tendon gets bruised it can develope a bulge on it. As you close your fingers the bulge will pass through the knuckle but will not pass back through to open back up. Not really painful - unless you let it go too long. and surgury is the only "fix". Those cortizone shots are only temporary - kinda like shooting a little grease on a bearing.

If my right hand keeps on like it is I will probally be having another surgury, myself.

Nela
Old 03-16-2011, 06:31 PM

Don't know about trigger finger, but two weeks ago I had a needle apponeurotomy for dupuytrens contracture. Wasn't bad (right hand) for pickin' the guitar but it certainly was screwin' up my piano playin'. Glad I got it done.

Hope things work out for you.

Regards,
Les
Old 03-16-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Tension View Post
Don't know about trigger finger, but two weeks ago I had a needle apponeurotomy for dupuytrens contracture. Wasn't bad (right hand) for pickin' the guitar but it certainly was screwin' up my piano playin'. Glad I got it done.

Hope things work out for you.

Regards,
Les
I just read up your condition and the procedure that fixed it. Glad to hear it worked.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

Old 03-16-2011, 07:51 PM

I had surgery for Trigger Finger about 9 years ago and I've had no problems whatsoever since. Prior to the surgery I had four or five episodes and temporarily corrected them with cortisone injections, but the surgery took care of the problem completely. Recovery took about two weeks with very little pain or discomfort. Go for the surgery. You won't regret it.
Cheers,
Mark
Old 03-16-2011, 07:58 PM

Surgery is not the only way to treat trigger fingers. I had two different fingers affected by it. I went to an occupational therapist who was able to correct the situation through massage, electric stimulation and exercise as well by showing me how to correct my playing technique to allow the areas to heal. I would always try this route before surgery.
Barb
Old 03-16-2011, 08:48 PM

Best of luck man, hope it resolves the problem for you and that will be the end of it.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb1 View Post
Surgery is not the only way to treat trigger fingers. I had two different fingers affected by it. I went to an occupational therapist who was able to correct the situation through massage, electric stimulation and exercise as well by showing me how to correct my playing technique to allow the areas to heal. I would always try this route before surgery.
Barb
I did consider this and did a lot of massage techniques on my own (not the same I know). At first I thought it was the guitar-playing that caused the problem but then began to think it was my work - I'd been on a project that required much more mouse-time than normal and a lot of right-clicking. Playing the guitar just seemed to make the problem more noticable.

After the second cortisone shot wore off aroung Thankgiving last year, I decided to wait out the holidays and see what happened. What happened was that I found myself getting used to the pain and telling myself I could live with it. Then I'd wake up at night and find the finger locked and painful. So tomorrow I'll bite the bullet and just get it over with.

My Hoffman will be lonely for awhile I guess.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

Old 03-17-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpa53 View Post
Well, after two cortisone shots last year that each held for only 3-4 months, my trigger-finger issues remained to the point where my doc wanted to do some snipping. So tomorrow morning I'm off to have my right middle finger fixed. The doc says not to worry, that all will be fine, but it's still a bit scary. I postponed buying a wireless system just in case I never play again .
At the risk of sounding stupid , since when does one use thier middle finger for a Trigger pull ? Did I miss something or you talking about bow hunting rather than shooting a rifle.?

Collings DS2H MhA "Bubba"
Collings OM 2H "Colleen"
Collings "Herb Special"
Eastman AR610CE-CS " Jazz "
Martin 000 28c MH "Merle"
Dudley Classical Dudley"
Baby Taylor "Baby Hoggy"
Old 03-17-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpa53 View Post
After the second cortisone shot wore off aroung Thankgiving last year, I decided to wait out the holidays and see what happened. What happened was that I found myself getting used to the pain and telling myself I could live with it. Then I'd wake up at night and find the finger locked and painful. So tomorrow I'll bite the bullet and just get it over with.

My Hoffman will be lonely for awhile I guess.
You won't regret having the surgery. My condition got so that I literally couldn't unlock the ring finger of my right hand without pressing on the palm; I had the procedure done almost 20 years ago, haven't regretted it a bit and haven't had a problem since.

Recovery time varies but your Hoffman won't be lonely for long... good luck!
Old 03-17-2011, 08:33 AM

Best of luck!

I had that surgery on my thumb about a year ago. It took some recuperating of course, but I haven't had any troubles since. Follow the doc's advice to get your mobility back, and things should work out fine.

MY OVATIONS
Spruce: Patriot #76, 1768-7LTD, 1122, 6774, 1779 USA, 1657-Adi
Redwood: 2001-X, 1537-X, 1713-X, FD14-X, Dan Savage 5743-X
Koa: 2078LXF, 1768-X, 1997-X
12-string: 1755, 1615-X Walnut
Exotic tops: 1768-XWF (Bubinga), 1987-M (Mahogany), Adamas 1681-X (Q. Maple)
Others: MM-68-7LTD Mandolin, MM-868-X Mandocello
Old 03-17-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stixx View Post
At the risk of sounding stupid , since when does one use thier middle finger for a Trigger pull ? Did I miss something or you talking about bow hunting rather than shooting a rifle.?
not really talking about shooting. It is what they call a particular condition:

"Trigger finger limits finger movement. When you try to straighten your finger, it will lock or catch before popping out straight.
Trigger finger is a condition that affects the tendons in your fingers or thumb"
Old 03-17-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stixx View Post
Here - read up on this... http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/trigger-finger/DS00155

I believe the proper medical term is "tenosynovitis"... I didn't consider myself middle-aged when I got it - but then again, I don't consider myself middle-aged now, and I'm old enough to collect Social Security.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:53 PM

What messed with my head the most about trigger finger is that, for me at least, it came out of nowhere! I actually posted here about it as well. Here's the link. I was apparently a little irritable that day and looking to vent.....

I'm Really Starting To Hate Middle Age

MY OVATIONS
Spruce: Patriot #76, 1768-7LTD, 1122, 6774, 1779 USA, 1657-Adi
Redwood: 2001-X, 1537-X, 1713-X, FD14-X, Dan Savage 5743-X
Koa: 2078LXF, 1768-X, 1997-X
12-string: 1755, 1615-X Walnut
Exotic tops: 1768-XWF (Bubinga), 1987-M (Mahogany), Adamas 1681-X (Q. Maple)
Others: MM-68-7LTD Mandolin, MM-868-X Mandocello

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic