The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-24-2018, 09:38 AM

Default Anyone using Line6 HX Effects?

Am considering changing things up on my pedalboard and swapping out a TC PLAY Acoustic for the Line 6 HX Effects. Is anyone using HX Effects for their acoustic guitar?

Also, I currently run into a Fishman Platinum Pro EQ before routing the signal into the PLAY Acoustic (I like having the ability to make quick EQ changes via the Fishman DI instead of having to dive into the EQ settings on the PLAY Acoustic for numerous presets). I'm wondering if I'd still need/want the Fishman Platinum Pro in a setup with the HX Effects...or, if I could run directly into the HX Effects and take care of the EQ, Compression, etc. in that one box (my pickup is an Anthem SL). Granted, this also would not give me the ability to make quick EQ adjustments...but I'm trying to simplify things and save some space on the pedalboard.

Any HX Effects users (for acoustic) out there?
Even better if you're using it with an Anthem pickup.
;-)

Ron
2023 Cole Clark True Hybrid
Fender Acoustasonic Strat
Line6HX Stomp
BeatBuddy
Boss RC-500
EV Evolve 30M
Old 03-24-2018, 11:06 AM

I just got one a few weeks ago and I'm using one with my bass and plan to use with my guitars. It sounds really good to me and is easy to use. I like it so much I'm going to sell my individual pedals. It doesn't have a direct out nor any amp models, it's just effects.
There is a long thread about it on Talkbass if you want more info. There are also Line 6 forums.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditcosmo View Post
I just got one a few weeks ago and I'm using one with my bass and plan to use with my guitars. It sounds really good to me and is easy to use. I like it so much I'm going to sell my individual pedals. It doesn't have a direct out nor any amp models, it's just effects.

There is a long thread about it on Talkbass if you want more info. There are also Line 6 forums.

You can load IRs
Old 03-25-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
You can load IRs
Yea I got to look into that. I've seen folks talking about that but I have no clue how to do that.

I used my HX last night at a gig and it sounded awesome.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:02 AM
Charter Member

I really wanted to but it looks like the TC is still the better option for a singer/acoustic solo act.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:38 AM

Thanks everyone.

I'm still thinking this through. I like the overall idea/concept of the PLAY Acoustic, but it just colors the tone regardless of the settings (turning off all BodyRez, etc.). If there was a way to simply tap into the PLAY effects...it would probably be great, but there just doesn't seem to be a way to get a totally clean/uncolored guitar tone through that box.

Alternatively, the HX Effects has a ton of effects that I'll never use on an acoustic, so this could be a bit overkill, although the ability to load IRs is intriguing. I'm also considering keeping it simple and just adding a dedicated Chorus and Delay pedal to my board board (in the effects loop of my Platinum Pro EQ). I'd lose having presets, a looper, and the vocal harmony stuff, but could add that stuff back in with other pedals.

It never ends.
;-)
2023 Cole Clark True Hybrid
Fender Acoustasonic Strat
Line6HX Stomp
BeatBuddy
Boss RC-500
EV Evolve 30M
Old 07-02-2018, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonD View Post
Thanks everyone.

I'm still thinking this through. I like the overall idea/concept of the PLAY Acoustic, but it just colors the tone regardless of the settings (turning off all BodyRez, etc.). If there was a way to simply tap into the PLAY effects...it would probably be great, but there just doesn't seem to be a way to get a totally clean/uncolored guitar tone through that box.

Alternatively, the HX Effects has a ton of effects that I'll never use on an acoustic, so this could be a bit overkill, although the ability to load IRs is intriguing. I'm also considering keeping it simple and just adding a dedicated Chorus and Delay pedal to my board board (in the effects loop of my Platinum Pro EQ). I'd lose having presets, a looper, and the vocal harmony stuff, but could add that stuff back in with other pedals.

It never ends.
;-)

I just posted a fresh thread asking the same question. Then my search lead me to this thread. Doesn't look like there have been many responses. But the unit was relatively new when this thread started. Maybe more people have given it a spin?

I also use a Fishman Platinum Pro EQ preamp. (and a few select FX pedals on my board) The cost of one Line 6 HX effects unit is about the same as the three ambient effect pedals I use (Boss RV-6, diamond memory lane Jr delay and Boss CE-2W waza chorus)

When I use effects, I use them mildly at most, so the HX FX may be overkill as the OP pointed out. Just thought I'd chime in on this thread. Maybe I'll delete my other thread. Don't mean to muddy the waters on the acoustic amplification forum.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification