The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-23-2018, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Default Alternatives to Yamaha THR10 series

I play pretty much 50/50 electric & acoustic. I have dedicated acoustic & electric amps (AER & Mesa Boogie respectively), but I really like that little Yamaha modeling amp. It’s small & sounds great for practice purposes.

What alternatives are there for the one amp acoustic/electric plug in? I’d like to add another single amp to a different room.

Thanks in advance to all!
Old 03-23-2018, 11:42 AM

I like the Roland Micro Cube. A/C, battery, light weight, big sound ( if you need it), not too pricey. Roland also made the Mobile BA. I have one, real nice sound out of a small package but I think the Micro Cube is more versatile.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:46 AM

If you can find one, the Vox Mini 3 or mini 5 are pretty nice. They have a "BTO Clean" setting that works great for acoustic, and if you are so inclined, also have an additional 1/4" input for a mic (I have an adapter for XLR-1/4). I've used this for playing and singing, and found it has plenty of power for a small room, and can also be AC powered. I also have a Blackstar Fly pack that includes a small amp and extenstion speaker that does really good cleans, and has a built-in delay that sounds good with acoustic. I pack my amp and extension in a lunchbox!
Old 03-24-2018, 02:37 PM

Peavey Vypyr VIP1. I had a VIP2 -- great amp. Only sold it since I got into tube amps. Wish I'd kept it. The Vypyr amps can be used for acoustic, or electric, or bass guitar. Good modeling, good onboard effects, wah with the Sanpera pedal is awesome. Good price point.

What about getting another THR? I regret selling my THR5. It was a great amp as well.
Old 03-24-2018, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Good suggestions all... thank you. Another THR is a possibility, but looking to explore alternatives.
Old 03-24-2018, 04:06 PM

Default Alternatives to Yamaha THR10 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronadair View Post
Good suggestions all... thank you. Another THR is a possibility, but looking to explore alternatives.

I’m had one of them briefly and really liked it as well. My only problem with it was that I play out a lot and it isn’t loud enough for even the smallest coffee shop gig. It was beautiful sounding for practice though, and so freakin’ versatile! I would so love if they made a thirty or forty watt version with maybe six in speakers and a balanced stereo line out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
modeling amp, yamaha thr