The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-22-2018, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

Guitar Center and Gibson (and Fender) have the same problem:

Borrowing money they are having problems paying back.

They might have spent it on different things (stores or other non-core businesses), but the problem is the same.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

IMO this entire article is (yet another example of) garbage journalism.

The data does not back this up.

Guitar Center is a sinking ship because

1) they cannot compete with online sales like Amazon
2) they are over-leveraged (too much debt from "flipping" the company)
3) terrible management

The article (and the story they are spinning) is not their own failure but the market's failure. "We did nothing wrong, the customers left us". "We did nothing wrong, the marketplace changed away from us". "We did nothing wrong, people don't want our products".

The only thing this article did for me was make me significantly less empathetic about their inevitable demise.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-22-2018, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
B grade? Seriously?
Mayer and Bonamassa are great guitar players.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:13 PM

I really doubt AMAZON is the one taking a big bite out of Guitar Center's market. I suppose I need to read the article, but that is not where I would think to buy a nice guitar. Maybe a low end beginner guitar, but not stuff better than that.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 03-22-2018, 10:16 PM

I like the idea of "School of Rock". Now we need a few more of these schools in different genres.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:17 PM

Millennials are spending money on technology including music technology. That's what matters to them. That's how they communicate. And yes, they do like playing guitars because it's cool. However, don't expect a millennial to spend money on Gruhn's vintage instruments. Plus the broad generalization that millennials are lazy had me lost respect for him. Sorry.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
Guitar Center sells a ton of equipment and software used to make music not involving guitars.

I'm not sure what relevance the opinions of a vintage guitar expert in his early 70s can have on Guitar Center's business today. If I wrote an article about Tesla's debt, a local dealer in collectible model Ts wouldn't be the first person I'd call.
Agree. Guitar Center isn't even mostly about guitars, so a story about the lack of guitar heroes and the laziness of millennials totally misses the reality of why Guitar Center is in trouble.
'82 Fender Musicmaster bass
'15 Breedlove Premier OF mandolin
Marshall JVM210c amp plus a bunch of stompboxes and misc. gear
Old 03-22-2018, 10:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW63 View Post
I really doubt AMAZON is the one taking a big bite out of Guitar Center's market. I suppose I need to read the article, but that is not where I would think to buy a nice guitar. Maybe a low end beginner guitar, but not stuff better than that.
As others have mentioned, guitars are just a part of the GC business. Outside of guitars and drums, pretty much everything that GC sells can be bought on Amazon for, generally, cheaper prices, and can be on your doorstep in two days.

I'm also sure that plenty of beginner or even lower intermediate players have no problem buying their guitars off of Amazon. I consider myself a serious player, and I actually bought my Jim Dandy on Amazon. It was about $20 cheaper than anywhere else and I wasn't all that concerned about a perfect setup on a $140 guitar, so I figured why not. Had no issues and I got a great little knockaround guitar.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:49 PM
Charter Member

My 16 year old plays fiddle, mandolin, and ukelele. She listen to pop, to Americana, and some strange things I don't get into. My 14 year old is taking piano lessons. I didn't start playing an instrument until I was 17 or 18, so they are way ahead of me!

I'm not so sure that I would say that electronic music creation requires no dedication or talent. I have a Maschine and I can tell you that thing is terribly hard to make great music with. I love it for the ability to simulate so many types of drums, but I have yet to actually record with it. I'm far from that point. Same for the midi keyboard. But, I'm not really a keyboard/piano player.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:41 PM

Nels Kline, Aaron and Bryce Dessner, Ty Segall, Dave Rawlings, Jeff Tweedy, Peter Buck, J. Mascis, Jack White, Willie Watson, Mike Cooley, Jason Isbell, Kristian Mattson (aka The Tallest Man on Earth), and on and on and on.

I’m 46 and go to live rock shows of current bands regularly. I know a ton of young people who play guitar. There’s nothing more boring than old men b****ing about the kids these days.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentKooper View Post
I’m 46 and go to live rock shows of current bands regularly. I know a ton of young people who play guitar. There’s nothing more boring than old men b****ing about the kids these days.
Hey, Kooper, get off my lawn! Right now!!

Seriously, for what it's worth, Guitar Center has announced they're going to be opening a store up here in Anchorage for the first time.

For those of us up here who've been gigging in the region for decades, it's kind of puzzling: why a Guitar Center in Anchorage now? But as a whiskery old coot who already owns lots of guitars and most of gear I'll ever need, I'm not their prime demographic, anyway. So it isn't me they need to appeal to.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 03-23-2018, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orfeas View Post
Plus the broad generalization that millennials are lazy had me lost respect for him. Sorry.

I would say millenials are more into the dopamine hit of instant gratification than they are lazy. They've been brought up in the social media world where everything is "look at me" and "right now." Maybe if we could send "likes" every time they learned a new chord, they'd be more interested in continuing to play.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyAK View Post
Agree. Guitar Center isn't even mostly about guitars, so a story about the lack of guitar heroes and the laziness of millennials totally misses the reality of why Guitar Center is in trouble.
Except that the significant majority of GC revenue comes from volume sales of low-priced instruments and merchandise.

The few high-end guitar sales don't make-or-break their numbers. The very many low-end guitar sales do.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-23-2018, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmasters View Post
I think George Gruhn hit the nail on the head, there are practically no guitar heros today to inspire people to buy guitars. Joe B and John Mayer are about it and they are like B grade guitar heros.
B grade? They are both widely recognized as guitar prodigies regardless of whether one likes their particular brand/style. No they are not in mega Rock bands like the days of old, but if they were both playing in the 60's and 70's, I'm convinced that we would consider both of the them our "guitar hero's" today.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
I fully respect his expertise, but he has nowhere near the perspective needed to opine on a huge chain that sells orders of magnitude more instruments than he does, catering to a completely different demographic, with completely different instruments.
I'd say his multiple decades in the guitar business would position him quite well to know what other players in the industry are doing. I'd imagine that knowledge would be something he'd be keen to be up to date on.

The model T analogy involving Gruhn was a poor one and completely off the mark in this discussion.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion