The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-22-2018, 09:58 AM

Default Good local shops are the best.

I have give a shout-out to the Appalachian Bluegrass Shoppe (Catonsville, MD). They did a great (invisible) job on my Taylor headstock repair, and I just got a call that my Baby-M bridge has been replaced (for free, under warranty, which essentially pays for the headstock repair).

They carry a wide range of good acoustic brands (Taylor, Martin, Collings, Eastman, Seagull, LaPatrie, A&L, Cordoba and Gold Tone resonators), as well as mando, banjo, uke, etc.

I'll be heading up to pick up the Baby-M, and drop off my Eastman E40-OM to have a pickup installed. It's worth the drive, and they've earned my business.
Taylor 356ce
Taylor 514ce
Taylor Baby-M
Eastman E40-OM

Fender Robert Cray Stratocaster
Fender Baja Telecaster
Fender MIJ Telecaster Custom
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute Bluesboy Semi-Hollow
Rickenbacker 620/12
Gretsch 6120
Godin Multiac Nylon Duet Ambience
Old 03-22-2018, 10:42 AM

Yes, they are best in most cases. Unfortunately, they are a dying breed.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:50 AM

Hopefully shops like ABS can survive - they know their target audience, and cater to it - they don't try to be all things to all people like GC does.
Taylor 356ce
Taylor 514ce
Taylor Baby-M
Eastman E40-OM

Fender Baja Telecaster
Rickenbacker 620/12
Gretsch 6120
Old 03-22-2018, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

I agree wholeheartedly... my local store here in town, Bullfrog Music, is such a place. The owner gives FREE LIFETIME set-up and restringing with every new guitar he sells!!!

I frequently wonder how many folks who are buying a $300 guitar from him realize just how much money that is going to save them in the long run... certainly, beginners won't know, unless they have a more experienced player with them as an advisor. Of course, the fact that the owner, Kurt Dietrich, is one of the (if not THE) best techs in the area, lends a lot more credibility to the offer.

In the 6 years I've lived here and been going to his shop, I've heard him tell at least a couple dozen folks that, since they bought the guitar from him at a different store/location (he's had a music store here for the past 25 years), that the set-up work is free labor...

I don't think you can get that sort of service from any on-line vendor, no matter how much lower their prices are!

If you're lucky to have a good local store, support it!!!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 03-22-2018, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

jseth has Bullfrog in his town and I have Tall Toad in mine! I support them as much as I can and plan to put a couple of instruments on consignment there next week. They are very knowledgeable, professional, customer friendly and have some really nice inventory at all price ranges.

Best,
Jayne
Old 03-22-2018, 11:51 AM

Default Good local shops are the best

- when/if in fact they really are good - MandoBros was my friendly local guitar shop for 35+ years, so my standard tends to be rather high...
Old 03-22-2018, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

I will always buy from local shops when I can, and all of my strings, picks, cables, accessories, etc. come from my local shops. Even if I have to pay a dollar or two more, I will support them. I don't buy many guitars, but if I am on the search, the local shops are the first places I look.

It is a good thing to see the guitar world supporting the local shops. It seems like I am seeing more and more of it these days.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:49 PM

Agree totally re local shops in general and Appalachian Bluegrass in particular! Years ago, I had a Taylor guitar that was damaged in shipping to me from Florida. Not only did ABG do an outstanding repair, but Emory (the owner) provided a letter that helped me with my claim to the shipper. Just one of many "above and beyond" experiences I've had with that awesome shop.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:07 PM

Yep, my local shop as well. Great folks, great repair shop, and I've given them lots of business. Highly recommended.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:16 PM

Default guitar repair

I brought my 2 month old Martin D-18E Retro there back in December and Emory did a great job repairing the electronics.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:12 AM

Just got the Baby-M back. 20 years old....with a brand new bridge. Covered under warranty, all I paid for were the strings....

BUT...I also dropped my Eastman E40-OM off to get a pickup and strap button installed....so I'll be back up there in a couple weeks.

Taylor 356ce
Taylor 514ce
Taylor Baby-M
Eastman E40-OM

Fender Baja Telecaster
Rickenbacker 620/12
Gretsch 6120
Old 03-24-2018, 01:43 PM

Bonus - they also fixed the case compartment flap on my Baby-M case. It had come loose years ago, and I didn't even mention it to them. They fixed it at no cost to me.
Taylor 356ce
Taylor 514ce
Taylor Baby-M
Eastman E40-OM

Fender Baja Telecaster
Rickenbacker 620/12
Gretsch 6120
Old 03-24-2018, 01:53 PM
Guest 1511

I'm blessed with some great local shops too:

Tall Toad
Gryphon
Guitar Showcase
Sylvan

I don't buy at GC any more. I still go there, but only out of curiosity. Some day they might have some killer used guitar there I might buy, but so far it's been getting more and more dismal in these stores and anything I would like to play is locked up and the guy with the key is 1) in the bathroom 2) working the cash register 3) hiding in the back room 4) covering for the guy in pro audio 5) outside smoking a cigarette. I really did used to love that place.

My best purchase lately though was a superb find on eBay.
Old 03-24-2018, 02:11 PM

+ 1 to Appalachian Bluegrass. They are a great shop. We learned about Lakota leather straps there. Unfortunately for us we live on the Eastern Shore of MD and ABG is on the other side of the bay bridge so the dive to get there can be horrible from mid April to late Oct.

I have to shout out to Earle Teat Music in Dover, DE. They like ABG have an awesome service dept and great store policies. Wife and I have bought many guitars from Dale and crew.

I have to drive at least an hour to get to a Guitar Center so an hour drive to a great independent shop is worth the drive.

Tim
Old 03-24-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Tim T View Post
+ 1 to Appalachian Bluegrass. They are a great shop. We learned about Lakota leather straps there. Unfortunately for us we live on the Eastern Shore of MD and ABG is on the other side of the bay bridge so the dive to get there can be horrible from mid April to late Oct.

I have to shout out to Earle Teat Music in Dover, DE. They like ABG have an awesome service dept and great store policies. Wife and I have bought many guitars from Dale and crew.

I have to drive at least an hour to get to a Guitar Center so an hour drive to a great independent shop is worth the drive.

Tim
If it's an hour drive to both, then there's no question. There are several GC's in Fairfax County, but I rarely go to them. Melodee Music in Sterling, VA is a good local full-line shop, but for work on acoustic guitars, I'm making the hour drive to Catonsville.
Taylor 356ce
Taylor 514ce
Taylor Baby-M
Eastman E40-OM

Fender Baja Telecaster
Rickenbacker 620/12
Gretsch 6120

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion