The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-22-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I constantly have people come up to me and say, "I would have enjoyed listening to your music but those five cables coming vertically out of those thingamabobs in the corner just kept me from focusing on anything else..." Not.
I agree with the hide the wires concept. I use a G30 Wireless for my guitar. The mike cable is velcro'd to the stand so that it's as invisible as it can be. My pedalboard power and XLR is on the floor as is the XLR from the mixer to the Fishman Loudbox.
The mixer is on the side so that the equipment remains as invisible as it can be.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 03-22-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
I constantly have people come up to me and say, "I would have enjoyed listening to your music but those five cables coming vertically out of those thingamabobs in the corner just kept me from focusing on anything else..." Not.

The music stand is off to the side, to my right, generally speaking. In all honesty, the gigs we play no one is paying attention to me anyway. Most are watching the lead singer if they glance our way at all.

We're not any sort of musical act people are paying to see. Our main gig is an Acoustic Brunch. People are looking at their food. But I do understand that since this is an internet forum, people need something to nitpick. Glad I could help.
If one was so inclined for aesthetics' sake, a few right angle XLR and 1/4 in. cables would do the trick.

Great idea using this stand and powerstrip. Fits perfectly.
06 Taylor Koa T5
09 Takamine 12 string
11 Taylor NS24ce-LTD
13 Gibson Les Paul Standard
14 Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
16 Taylor 524ce Mahogany
16 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
17 PRS SE Custom 24
23 Taylor GS Mini Walnut LTD

---------------------
Old 03-22-2018, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akousticplyr View Post
If one was so inclined for aesthetics' sake, a few right angle XLR and 1/4 in. cables would do the trick.

Great idea using this stand and powerstrip. Fits perfectly.
I'm actually a big fan of right-angle 1/4 cables where applicable. I much prefer a right-angle 1/4" cable where it plugs into my guitar, for instance. And of course they are needed with pedals in a crowded area. I didn't know they made them for XLR. But I don't think anyone notices or cares about the ones sticking up out of my set up off to the side.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:27 PM

Quote:
I'm actually a big fan of right-angle 1/4 cables where applicable. I much prefer a right-angle 1/4" cable where it plugs into my guitar, for instance. And of course they are needed with pedals in a crowded area. I didn't know they made them for XLR. But I don't think anyone notices or cares about the ones sticking up out of my set up off to the side.
It's a bit of a challenge finding reasonably priced right angle male or female XLR's that are adjustable. If you are handy with a soldering gun, you can order the adjustable XLR ends for around 5-8 bucks each I think and just make your own.

But there are some potential premade options if you don't want to spend an arm and a leg. A few Amazon comments mentioned that this was adjustable --like old style Neutriks-- by simply unscrewing and twisting: http://a.co/4lxVWEk

I just ordered one for my pedalboard to see if that's the case. If not, I'll probably just order some adjustable ones like these http://a.co/1V7e17Y and make some cables!
06 Taylor Koa T5
09 Takamine 12 string
11 Taylor NS24ce-LTD
13 Gibson Les Paul Standard
14 Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
16 Taylor 524ce Mahogany
16 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
17 PRS SE Custom 24
23 Taylor GS Mini Walnut LTD

---------------------
Old 03-23-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Well of course they wouldn't come up to you and say that (unless they're somewhat mentally challenged!) That doesn't mean they don't notice it. Other musicians are more apt to notice it anyway.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 03-25-2018, 12:32 PM

How long does it take set up at your gig?

Do you break it down or carry it in as is in the photos?
Old 03-25-2018, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandowilli View Post
How long does it take set up at your gig?

Do you break it down or carry it in as is in the photos?
It stays as it is. Sets up in seconds. That's the beauty of it!
Old 03-25-2018, 11:03 PM

I have a similar setup with a heavy duty music stand. I have a small Macke mixer, a Tonedexter and a TC Helicon Play Acoustic on it on the stand. I made all the connecting cables for the boxes and mixer so they are very short the everything is velcroed on with 2” Velcro tape and it remains as a unit that comes off the stand. I have the TC Helicon 3 button pedal extension on the floor which controls the harmonies if I use them and guitar boost. I also have an a/b box on the floor to switch between electric and acoustic guitars.

I keep the stand just about at my elbow while standing just a little behind me so I can reach the controls and so I can see the control lights if I turn my head. If I’m sitting I just adjust it all lower. I also use a photo sandbag on the stand just because there is a lot of money sitting on top of the stand and I don’t want it getting knocked over.

I keep a power strip on the floor and bundle the leads from the power supplies with Velcro. Because the Play Acoustic and Tonedexter provide all the eq and effects I need, I can live with just the three button box on the floor which I find much simpler. The stand also gives me a place to keep fingerpicks and capos.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 03-26-2018, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

This is a good thread! Being an old fart I don't like going to the floor to change settings but still want the foot switches to toggle them. If I bend the wrong way these days to change a setting there is a greater than 50% chance I ain't coming back up. Gig over.

I've been looking at things like the TC Perform series which is on the right track, but is too limited in what can be preset/stored. Something like a Play Acoustic on a waist high stand with an external 6 foot switch looks like the way to go.

Unfortunately my other older pedals don't allow for external foot switching. IMHO this is definitely something manufacturers should incorporate into all stomp boxes, especially the complex ones.

Last edited by HeyMikey; 03-26-2018 at 03:25 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification