The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-14-2018, 07:03 AM

My newest guitar has one. I like it.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 03-14-2018, 08:34 AM

I wish all my acoustics had this feature. It takes a little more time and effort to make a guitar this way or more would be built this way. Due to competition, it is not done.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

In the custom section, it looks like the trend is slightly smaller bevels, I like that look. But yes, a bevel is awesome. I have a Joel Stehr dread that also has a rib bevel. That is also super comfy!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 03-15-2018, 01:39 AM

Arm bevels are a great idea and really take away the discomfort of the edge digging into your arm.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
I'm more of a Manzer Wedge kind of guy. I feel that arm bevels, as comfortable as they are, might potentially have more downsides than upsides.

They reduce the effective vibrating area of the top while also adding extra weight to the instrument. Some might also have issues with the asymmetry of the body with a bevel. Of course, whether or not these differences have a significant effect on the sound is debatable.

But that is just me nit picking. I do own a bevelled guitar myself. Congrats on your new guitar!
Hey Marcus, I had the same general concerns about a wedge (sound modification) that you had about a bevel! I suspect that a good builder can do wonders with either approach.
I have two guitars with bevels, and with major shoulder issues at present they are pretty much the only ones I play. Makes a big difference.

Col
Old 03-15-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
Hey Marcus, I had the same general concerns about a wedge (sound modification) that you had about a bevel! I suspect that a good builder can do wonders with either approach.
I have two guitars with bevels, and with major shoulder issues at present they are pretty much the only ones I play. Makes a big difference.

Col
Hey Colins, I've heard different opinions about the Manzer wedge affecting sound from different builders. Most of them say that there is no perceivable difference, and would usually accuse the bevel of being a bigger culprit of affecting sound haha

But in our un-idealistic world, playability trumps tone, so definitely stick to what allows you to continue playing. I would highly recommend adding a wedge too for shoulder issues

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 03-15-2018, 07:38 PM

I doubt that the difference in surface area of the top caused by the bevel would make that much difference in tone that is perceptible to the human ear. The trade off in player comfort however is quite significant ajd once u have gotten used to it, it is difficult to do without it. However one solution that is supposed to give you the bevel and maintains the total playing surface of the top and on top of that keeps your arm off the top so as not to suppress any of the sound, is the Abel Armrest. I will be buying one and will report on its performance.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
Hey Colins, I've heard different opinions about the Manzer wedge affecting sound from different builders. Most of them say that there is no perceivable difference, and would usually accuse the bevel of being a bigger culprit of affecting sound haha

But in our un-idealistic world, playability trumps tone, so definitely stick to what allows you to continue playing. I would highly recommend adding a wedge too for shoulder issues
Marcus I know just the Manzer wedge I want. It was on a Manzer that I played at LC years ago - what a sound! Would love to own one of her guitars.

Who else does a similar wedge?

Col

Last edited by colins; 03-16-2018 at 03:01 AM.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:38 AM

The manzer wedge will lessen the problem of the elevation of the shoulder but it wouldn't eliminate the problem of the sharp edge though. It seems to me that the wedge and the bevel address different ergonomic issues and are not a substitute for each other.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
My newest guitar has one. I like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
In the custom section, it looks like the trend is slightly smaller bevels, I like that look. But yes, a bevel is awesome. I have a Joel Stehr dread that also has a rib bevel. That is also super comfy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
Arm bevels are a great idea and really take away the discomfort of the edge digging into your arm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
I doubt that the difference in surface area of the top caused by the bevel would make that much difference in tone that is perceptible to the human ear. The trade off in player comfort however is quite significant ajd once u have gotten used to it, it is difficult to do without it. However one solution that is supposed to give you the bevel and maintains the total playing surface of the top and on top of that keeps your arm off the top so as not to suppress any of the sound, is the Abel Armrest. I will be buying one and will report on its performance.
Have to agree with you guys!

Like gitarro said, it was the digging into my arm on some other acoustics that I tried that really gave me discomfort and made playing acoustic guitar not very frequent.

I have been playing 40 years and 95% of time it's my electric guitars. I probably have owned over 50 very in the past. I still have 11 as well as my one and only first real acoustic (a
Suzuki) I got in the late 70's.

This R Taylor has been a total eye opener as I really knew very little about current acoustics/brands and certainly did not know about arm bevels.

Now my time playing has flipped to 90% acoustic and 10% electric because I am enjoying this guitar so much. While I don't feel the need for another acoustic, I'd love a dreadnaught with a big fat, robust tone and projection next. One thing is for sure, it must have an arm bevel.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

There was an R Taylor dread in the classifieds not too long ago, with a bevel. Thought about it for a while.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 03-16-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
Marcus I know just the Manzer wedge I want. It was on a Manzer that I played at LC years ago - what a sound! Would love to own one of her guitars.

Who else does a similar wedge?

Col
Most luthiers would be able to do a Manzer wedge at an added cost if you ask them to

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 03-24-2018, 11:41 AM

Default Love the armrest

In December I broke down and finally purchased a premium Taylor, 914CE-SB Ltd., one of 50 made. Wow is all I can say, lightweight, easy to play, a lot of volume unplugged, a pleasure to look at. I absolutely love the ebony armrest, wish all my acoustics had one, especially the larger Alvarez/Yairi dreadnought.

Last edited by musikman64; 03-24-2018 at 11:47 AM. Reason: trying to add image

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion