The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-09-2018, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antsdmb View Post
Can anyone comment on the differences tonally between the spectrums and the plectrums?
They are completely different animals, both in tone and feel. IMHO, the plectrums are worth the money, the spectrums are not.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
...I used them exclusively with my vintage 00-17.....I also use them on a Gibson LG 3/4.....I'm thinking they're the bees knees on small body mahogany guitars...oddly I don' care for them on most other guitars...
I've had success on spruce/walnut (bit like mahogany) and also spruce/RW. In the latter case the Plectrums have helped to restrain/mellow out a very sensitive and loud guitar with a fast attack.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:41 AM

I've used them a couple of times. They're great for less string squeak. And yes, they have low tension sets too. I no longer use them because I found other strings for less money I prefer instead.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippy5 View Post
I use them on my Goodall standard just to hear the clear fundamentals of such a fine guitar. Sometimes they lack character to me. They are certainly different sounding. For more thoughtful playing.

Nice to learn about clarity, string to string balance, more neutral EQ, uncompressed and less zingy artifacts as I try to simply let the melodies rise on their own merits. That's when I choose the more adult guitar over the PB and Elixir strings of my other 6 funner acoustics.

Totally get this - they are quite “serious” strings ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 03-10-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antsdmb View Post
Can anyone comment on the differences tonally between the spectrums and the plectrums?

Agree with the earlier poster that Plectrums are very different animals to Spectrums, and quite special in my opinion. I do like Spectrums and feel they are high quality strings, but they are much closer to other high quality 80/20 strings in tonality.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 03-10-2018, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

Got the strings today and just strung up my 0-15...gotta be honest, they do sound really great. Curious to see how long they will last, but a great first impression.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
Agree with the earlier poster that Plectrums are very different animals to Spectrums, and quite special in my opinion. I do like Spectrums and feel they are high quality strings, but they are much closer to other high quality 80/20 strings in tonality.
That’s my experience and I prefer the Plectrums on most of my guitars.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 03-10-2018, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

I was using Spectrums on one of my guitars; very nice tone for what I like to play and hear on that instrument. They are not yet your ‘typical’ string tone. Something to be aware of is that the string wrap at the ball end has a very large diameter and may not fit in the bridge/pin slot without enlarging them.

I have moved to Newtone masterclass strings.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion