The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-17-2016, 10:02 AM

Default $1000 or less PA System

Is there a $1000 (or less ) PA system out there (new preferred) that will work for me? I am old, short, balding and overweight.....hahahahaha
While the above is true, it may not be relevant. We usually play as a trio, small audience (typically less than 50). Acoustic and an electric guitar, electronic drums, mid level volumes and one mic. Would like add another vocal mic, acoustic guitar and fiddle or harmonica when we "practice" with friends, with a possibility of gigging with them also.
Currently using a Bose L-1 classic with a Mackie FX 12 mixer. Seems to sound fine with the trio, but I know that we are going to be pushing it with everyone playing at the same time (like many clowns in a circus car) so I am thinking I would ask for advice here. I have never really kept up with the "latest systems" as a matter of course, but thinking it is time to get myself educated with some of the possibilities.
Portability is always a plus, but sound quality is the main requirement along with the number of inputs. The $1000 limit is what I would like to stay under but realize that could go by the wayside. Would rather have new, but used is a possibility.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

You might consider carvin:

http://carvinaudio.com/collections/s600

http://carvinaudio.com/collections/x...nnel-pa-system

We used the older Stagemate 400 system for a few years about 15 years ago and liked it.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:19 AM

What I use is similar to you. A Mackie mixer with my Fender Expo system (like the L-1) and when I want/need more power I add a Behringer powered speak/amp (mine's not made any longer) on a stand and you can cover a lot. There are a lot of compact PA's for your budget also. There was a thread last week asking almost the same thing if you can search it out.
Old 12-17-2016, 11:06 AM

If you're looking to create a more traditional PA that can handle a small ensemble for small scale shows, a good pair of 10" or 12" powered speakers and a small mixer with at least 12 mono inputs would be your best bet. I'd consider stretching that budget a little (around $1500) and looking at a pair of Yamaha DBR or DXR speakers and a small Soundcraft or Allen and Heath mixer (if you like your Mackie, then look at one of the larger Mackies). Depending on how thumpy you need that electronic percussion to be, you might also think about a small sub--or at least plan on that as the gigs and the money make it possible.

Of course, nowadays there are also the small and relatively inexpensive tablet/phone controlled digital mixers. A Soundcraft Ui 16, for example, is less than $400.

Louis
Old 12-17-2016, 11:11 AM

If I had to start over with that budget, I'd get a Line 6 L3T or L3M with a small format mixer. Most of my smaller gigs are that setup. The "T" model has a built in 2 channel mixer with sweepable mids, but I like having the mixer on my left hand side, and I don't want to have to be right next to the speaker for adjustments. Otherwise, I could be just fine with just the L3T.

Bigger gigs get a subwoofer and crossover, but I loop beats and basslines through a Boomerang III. Most people don't need all that.

The Line 6 speakers kicked my QSC K10's to the curb. They sound noticeably better.

Chill low volume patio gig (no sub or crossover)

Another no subwoofer patio gig

Most of the full rig for comparison:

Last edited by The Kid!; 12-17-2016 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:25 PM

http://carvinaudio.com/collections/p...onitor-speaker

A couple of Carvin powered speakers using your current Mackie FX12 will do the job well. Ric
Old 12-17-2016, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

Line 6 L2t kicked my QSC K10s to the curb, too!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 12-17-2016, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

Yamaha StagePass. Various models depending on your wattage needs. All under $1k I think.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:14 PM

You have the mixer. Just add one of these.
Old 12-17-2016, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post
You have the mixer. Just add -qsc-k12-12- one of these.
Yup I'd agree there, though I use K10's despite what a couple of others above have said.

Alternatively you could go a pair of Yamaha DBR's in your preferred size. Not a huge fan of the Stagepass models or similar.

Kris
Old 12-18-2016, 12:08 AM

Yep. Pretty much any powered speaker with a frequency response appropriate for what he's (?) doing would be a good move. QSC, Yamaha, JBL, EV, whatever. There are lots of very good powered speakers that you could use. I suggested the 12s because of the desire for a low end, but my duo runs QSC K8s just fine.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbigfly View Post
Is there a $1000 (or less ) PA system out there (new preferred) that will work for me? I am old, short, balding and overweight.....hahahahaha
While the above is true, it may not be relevant. We usually play as a trio, small audience (typically less than 50). Acoustic and an electric guitar, electronic drums, mid level volumes and one mic. Would like add another vocal mic, acoustic guitar and fiddle or harmonica when we "practice" with friends, with a possibility of gigging with them also.
Currently using a Bose L-1 classic with a Mackie FX 12 mixer. Seems to sound fine with the trio, but I know that we are going to be pushing it with everyone playing at the same time (like many clowns in a circus car) so I am thinking I would ask for advice here. I have never really kept up with the "latest systems" as a matter of course, but thinking it is time to get myself educated with some of the possibilities.
Portability is always a plus, but sound quality is the main requirement along with the number of inputs. The $1000 limit is what I would like to stay under but realize that could go by the wayside. Would rather have new, but used is a possibility.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.
Personally what I would do in your situation if your looking to improve your current system with the trio as the primary element. Since you already have the mixer I would consider getting two of the traditional PA type powered speakers giving you the ability to place them on both sides and slightly in front of the players . And you can always use the Bose as monitor behind the trio if necessary. As several have suggested I would take hard look at upping the budget a bit and look into the Line 6 Stage Source speakers and look at either two of L2m series. Or for $100 more and to take advantage of Line 6 acoustic guitar specific DSP modeling, think about one L2m and one L2t and still get the trio balance on the the Mackie then run that signal into the L2t's mixer for processing

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 12-18-2016, 09:26 AM

Forget about the Line6 speakers if weight is a concern.

I suggest a pair of lightweight powered EV ZXa1s with a small-format Peavey, Yamaha, Mackie or similar mixer - the one you have should be fine unless you need more inputs. There are no meaningful audible differences between the various prosumer brands for live sound (versus recording) purposes. That would be within your budget and even under if you buy during a sale, including solid stands and decent cables, would be much easier logistically, and more than adequate for the audience size you mention. The EVs are fine for vocal/guitar freqs; going to 10 or 12" woofers will gain you nothing in that regard since their wider response is irrelevant to vocal and guitar frequencies, but you can always add the matching EV sub in the future if you feel you need it for the e-drums. My experience has been that the ZxA1s as FOH work well alone for that unless you really want a heavier bass emphasis from the kick drum.

The EVs also make excellent compact fold-back monitors if you ever expand your system with bigger/more powerful tops for more throw. That gives you a potential migration path to a larger system if you find you need one later.

Last edited by GmanJeff; 12-18-2016 at 09:59 AM.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanJeff View Post
Forget about the Line6 speakers if weight is a concern.

I suggest a pair of lightweight powered EV ZXa1s with a small-format Peavey, Yamaha, Mackie or similar mixer - the one you have should be fine unless you need more inputs. There are no meaningful audible differences between the various prosumer brands for live sound (versus recording) purposes.
Assuming of course that weight is the only concern meant by " portability" then no doubt the Line 6 L2t at 39 lbs is roughly twice the weight of the EV but of course if that is the only concern then the OP could simply get another Bose L1 Compact at $899 to add to the Bose he already has.

That said with all due respect and to clarify , there is in fact clearly audible differences among the units being discussed in this tread and " meaningful" is arguably far to subjective to be useful (objectively speaking.)

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 12-18-2016, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Double post but as per your next post I would agree about the mixers

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 12-18-2016 at 05:25 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification