The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-08-2015, 07:30 PM

Wow 23 hours is pretty decent. Just did a group order for a few folks in my country, cable should be arriving in a week or so. Bought a 16000mah power bank to power my rig too
Old 11-09-2015, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Pauhana View Post
My myVolts adapter has 700 mA on the label rather than 350… but yes, that's much less than the 2A that the battery is capable of putting out. Plenty for my needs, though.
Sorry, I was also looking at the 18V version (I have a Radial PZ-Pre I want to battery power). Logically that would have a max of half the current capacity).

That's still nowhere near 2A though?
Mountain D45 (mid '80s)
Brian Eastwood ES175/L5
Gibson Les Paul Custom (1975)
Brian Eastwood '61 Strat
Bitsa Strat with P90s (my main electric)
The Loar F5 Mandolin,
Samick A4 Mandolin
Epiphone Mandobird
Brian Eastwood '51 P Bass
NS Design Wav EUB
Giordano EUB
Old 11-15-2015, 04:07 AM

I've just ordered one of these:
http://www.ianker.com/product/79AN7906-BA

to power all of this:

the specs on the battery say it has 4 times more storage capacity than the pedaltrain volto, so hopefully it will be a winner powering all this via its 9v output.
I will keep you posted
Old 12-10-2015, 04:11 AM

Finally got my cable after my initial parcel got lost in the mail. Works fantastic. Only challenge I faced was that my powerbank auto shuts off if the current is too low. I minimally have to power 2-3 analog pedals to keep the power bank running.
Old 12-10-2015, 05:11 AM

The spec on that Anker battery pack say it has 20,000 mA/H capacity which is 10 x the capacity of the Volto (2,000 mA/H). That's a lot of power for the money.

I'm gonna buy one to try with my Roland AC33
Mountain D45 (mid '80s)
Brian Eastwood ES175/L5
Brian Eastwood '61 Strat
The Loar F5 Mandolin,
Samick A4 Mandolin
Epiphone Mandobird
NS Design Wav EUB
Giordano EUB

Last edited by sam.spoons; 12-10-2015 at 05:19 AM.
Old 12-10-2015, 07:45 PM

I ordered the adapter a few weeks back. My pedals picked up noise from my power bank, a nasty static noise. Could've had something to do with the power bank not being fully charged, I don't know. Switching back to a 1-Spot eliminated the noise. Has anyone else experienced noise from their power bank?
Old 12-10-2015, 09:18 PM

Try switching pedal positions to see if the noise is still there? I got some interference like noises when my tuner was first in the chain (both with this adapter and some other power supplies). I swapped it to second position in my chain and works fine now.
Old 12-24-2015, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Running this back up the flagpole. I have been using a RavPower 9v to power 5 pedals on a Pedaltrain Mini for my Electric rig for several months. Works like a charm.

Over the past coule of weeks I've been powering a Beatbuddy with the same product. The Beatbuddy requires 500mv and the Ravpower easily powered it for a 5 hour gig on Wed.

I ordered the newer, upgraded Ravpower to see it will run my Boomerang 3. I tried running both the Beatbuddy and the Boomerang 3 and the 'Rang3 was noisy, but perfect by itself.

Since the new Ravpower Powerpack only has USB connectors, I have ordered from Amazon on of the myVolt 5vUSB to 9v Barrel connectors.
Old 12-27-2015, 07:56 PM

Has anyone crunched the numbers the are getting In the real world to see how reliable the specs are on these units? 20,000 mAh is = 20Ah with 80% DOC on lithium you should have 16AH of use.

Most pedals don't draw very much so even though it may require a 1amp plug it likely draws a lot less except on initial engagement. I would think it would take a large pedal board with all pedals on to draw 2amp (I'm not a big pedal user so you guys would know more then me) but from what I know a lot only draw less then 100mA and power hungry are over 100mA some extreme pedals get up like 4-500 mA.
Seems like for most pedal needs you would be able to run an entire board in the real world off one of these continuous for a number of days. Or is it you really don't get 20,000 mAh out of these and they are inflated ratings?

If they are as good as they say I'm thinking I could run my entire solo set up off of one of these and a small inverter easily for 4hrs with a lot left as reserve.

Single 10" powered speaker one pedal and small mixer. Heard of guys doing it with a sealed lead acid 20Ah battery and inverter with no problems. Or am I missing something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-28-2015, 09:46 PM

Not an expert at electronics, but I think most powerbank capacities stated are based on 3.7v. USB outputs on the powerbanks are rated at 5v, and the adapter converts it to 9v. So you will be getting less than the stated mah. E.g. you should be getting around 8000mah @ 9v with a 20000mah powerbank
Old 12-29-2015, 05:18 AM

Just to address the power supply cable...

http://dcvoltage.net/powerchain

Old 12-29-2015, 07:21 AM

Bearclaw has the sums pretty much right

The power pack manufacturers don't specify the source voltage of the power pack (it could be 3.7V, 7.2V, 11.1, 14.8 etc) but it'll almost certainly be either 3.7V or 7.2VDC. Watt/Hours would be a more useful capacity figure for the real world but they don't use it......

BTW that's why if you use a 12VDC-230VAC inverter at 1A (a very small PA system for example might need 1A) you'll use nearly 20A current from your battery (again assuming 100% efficiency) so you heavy 85AH leisure battery will have around 2 hours of usefulness (lead acids need to be run no lower than 50% for longevity) and a 20A/H LA battery would only give you around 30 mins of playing time (or probably around 45 mins from a suitable LiPo battery).

OTOH even 8,000mA/H is pretty good when it comes to powering pedals
Mountain D45 (mid '80s)
Brian Eastwood ES175/L5
Brian Eastwood '61 Strat
The Loar F5 Mandolin,
Samick A4 Mandolin
Epiphone Mandobird
NS Design Wav EUB
Giordano EUB
Old 12-29-2015, 05:58 PM

Yup figured I was missing something. I had actually been looking at the booster packs at 12VDC but because they are also for charging devices seems they are rated at 3.7V given their relative size compared to a standard LiFePO4 lithium 12v cell of similar capacity.

So I think I will look at getting a small unit to power my Acoustic Play and keep my devices charged for a gig. The play says 400 mA @ 12VDC input but would think it consumes much less most of the time.

For my other gear I'm looking at just buying a 12V 20Ah lithium cell and small inverter.

As a test run I had a 7Ah 12vdc sealed lead acid cell kicking around. Hasn't been charged for months. Clipped it to my 300/600W inverter and to my DBR 10 and played music for an a little over an hour it dropped the cell by .5v .

I'll do another test as I charged the cell and see how long it will last for playing at 1/3-1/2 volume as I'm in a small space and it is very loud.

But seems I would be able to run lights and sound all from a 20Ah 12VDC cell and inverter quite easily.

Add a smallish bank 10-20K mA for the Pedal, Tablet and phone and I could set up my full system anywhere and play for hours (Lord help us all LOL).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-29-2015, 07:59 PM

Could this setup power an MXR DC Brick (7)9v / (3)18v power supply? Would be kind of cool, but what advantages are there for doing this as you still need power to run amps/PAs.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion01 View Post
Could this setup power an MXR DC Brick (7)9v / (3)18v power supply? Would be kind of cool, but what advantages are there for doing this as you still need power to run amps/PAs.
I'm afraid I'm not technical enough to know if you could cobble something together to power 18v pedals.

Regarding your question about "what advantages are there for doing this as you still need power to run amps/PAs", I usually playing over other peoples' PAs, so that's all taken care of. If I'm sitting in with other performers at their gig, then I don't have to pester them for power, I just set down my board and hook up my DI. It means fewer cables at my feet, too. And I'm probably the only person on this forum with this situation, but I play for groups at hula competitions, where the musicians come out, plug in to the DIs, play one song, then head backstage to wait for the next time your group comes on. So the changeover has to be instantaneous. Having a tiny, self-powered board makes it practical to have my own effects with me... otherwise, I'd just be going straight to the house DI.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification