The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-03-2016, 08:47 PM

Default I know it shouldn't but when I hook an overdrive pedal and compressor to my acoustic/

Just for fun I decided to hook up my old Arion Overdrive pedal and Digitech Main Squeeze compressor yo my H B Ovation clone. I turned up the Danelectro Honeytone mini amp and started to play some barre chords in an agressive manner.Wow! It really sounded good and for an acoustic electric really rocked !Comprable to my Epi Dot!Very cool indeed!
Old 02-03-2016, 09:08 PM

I've run my Ovation 12 string through an over drive pedal ( Boss SD-1 ) and cranked it up. That was loads of fun too !
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 02-03-2016, 09:27 PM

Why shouldn't it? Experimenting with music is all about trying different things to get the type of sound that jazz's you. Sounds like you did well.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:03 PM

Can be fun OK but might want to stuff an old shirt or something in there to tame the feedback. Anyways I stand guilty as charged too .

Might want to check out some of John Butler's vids, he runs his 12 strings through his Marshall with some added dirt but he uses a magnetic soundhole pickup to look after that side of things, also uses a soundhole cover as a feedback buster.

Interesting vid here if you have the time. Some pretty unique ideas for his setup but it's been working for him a long while.

Seen videos of K.T.Tunstall grinding out some dirty O/D tones on some of her live performances too.

Martin D-28
Maton EA808 Australian
Maton EBG808 Performer
Cole Clark FL2-12
Suzuki Kiso J200
Old 02-03-2016, 10:06 PM

No feedback as long as the guitar does not face the amp!Very cool and unexpected sound!
Old 02-03-2016, 10:15 PM

Listen to Monty Montgomery, he uses overdrive on his acoustic on some songs. He does a pretty mean version of Superstition among others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsKe4MK-554
16 Alvarez AD610CESB
Mid 80's Alvarez 5009 classical
63 Yamaha No100 classical
89 Gibson Les Paul Standard
04 Gibson Les Paul Supreme
84 Ibanez AS200AV
75 Gibson L6S
05 Gibson SG Special Peter Townsend
95 G&L Legacy

Last edited by jman60; 02-03-2016 at 10:19 PM. Reason: quick edit
Old 02-03-2016, 10:49 PM

If your running that rig into a tube driven amp, it's fine. I'd worry a bit about over-driving a solid state acoustic amp. All the clipping might damage it or blow out the speaker.

Or not?

Anyone know for sure?
Old 02-04-2016, 08:28 AM

As far as the speaker is concerned, there is no risk of any damage to the speaker in an acoustic amplifier from using an overdrive (OD) pedal at the input (i.e. pre-amp section) of the amplifier. The speaker responds to the signal/power provided to it by the power amp section of the amplifier circuit; over-driving the pre-amp with a pedal is not going to turn -- say -- a 100 Watt amplifier into a 200 Watt amplifier, nor is it going to effect impedance matching, etc. The power-amp and speaker combination are simply going to *amplify* the signal provided.

So....no worries to the amplifier's speaker.

As far the circuitry of the input section of a solid-state acoustic amplifier, my limited knowledge makes it harder for me to offer a all-encompassing opinion.
Classical transistors are pretty tough, but most modern solid-state amplifiers employ a pre-amp circuit which is composed of Integrated Circuit (IC) chips, and I am far less fluent in ICs. Speaking of OD pedals ("stomp boxes") in general, however, they more primarily effect the character of the signal, and to a lesser extent increase (boost) the amplitude of the signal. The input of the amplifier really does not care a whiff if the incoming signal is already clipped by a pedal; it might care if the incoming signal was so heavily over-boosted that the signal exceeded voltage tolerances for the amplifier pre-amp, but this would be very extreme for any pedal. In general, the input of a solid-state amplifier will regard the increase in voltage provided by an OD pedal the same as if one were using a compressor, clean boost, EQ pedal, etc., to raise the signal for a solo. It will not care *what* the signal sounds like, it will just amplify it.

I say go for it if it sounds good to you.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:40 AM

This is (partly) why I bought a T5z...
Zoom G3 pedal
Amps: THR-10 (small), DBR-10 (med), QSC-K10 (large)
Old 02-04-2016, 11:52 AM

I have a Boss Blues Driver 2 on my acoustic pedal board and I keep it set with just a little overdrive, not enough to distort. I use it on a couple of looper songs for the melody. It helps to tonally separate the rhythm and melody.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification