The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-24-2018, 11:52 AM

Default String Fail! Oh, and First Post

Hello everyone, I've lurked here for years. I appreciate the advice and knowledge I've gained here and decided to come in finally!
Often, I've read here about all things strings and decided to experiment. I really like a certain brand and type of string. Based on suggestion from my son, I restrung my Seagull S6 with custom lights from the same manufacture I always use. It sounds horrible! I've played enough to allow a certain play-in period with new strings but I'm not sure I can take it. Could it be that my guitar is not set up appropriately for a lighter weight? I don't want to mention who makes them because I'm not trying to flame them and I love the regular old ones I've always used.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:03 PM

Not all guitars like the same strings.
Sounds like your's needs something different.
Continue the search and try both medium and light gauge sets to see which sound best to you.
Document your string changed with date of change and your thoughts on the sound that the strings have.

In my opinion, medium gauge strings amplify both the good and the bad that a guitar has to offer.
I like medium gauge on my Dreadnought guitars.
However I have tried a few sets of Bluegrass and medium light sets and liked them.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:07 PM

Welcome, O. Dump those strings. Nothing complicated here. Each guitar sounds best with certain gauges, brands, alloys.

Does your son play an electric, per chance?
Old 03-24-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
Welcome, O. Dump those strings. Nothing complicated here. Each guitar sounds best with certain gauges, brands, alloys...
+1. Guitar strings are cheap. Playing time is valuable. Trying new strings is fun and a good idea, but just because you may normally leave strings on for weeks or months doesn't mean you should for strings you don't like.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:54 PM

Welcome to the forum...

You'll find lots of string suggestions here. All are good, but for a lot of guitars there is that "magical" set that unlocks YOUR guitar's sound, just like your current strings bring out terrible sounds. Nobody can tell you what that is. You have to find it for yourself. That means TESTING... sometimes extensive testing.

Go buy yourself a half dozen different sets of strings (to start). It will take a day or two for each set to settle. If you string carefully, (leaving a tad extra string on each pole) if you can carefully remove them, you can keep them to put back on again should you want to return to that set to confirm your thoughts.

Finding the right strings for each guitar usually isn't a one-and-done experience.

Good luck.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 03-24-2018, 02:26 PM

I've had that happen.
Don't torture yourself...take them off.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-24-2018, 02:32 PM

Thanks everyone, changing strings this afternoon!
Old 03-24-2018, 04:58 PM

Guitar tops vary in how much it takes to drive them. I've had guitars that came alive with light or even extra light strings that sounded awful - muddy and too much bass with mediums. The extra tension was over-driving the top. Others were thin and flat sounding with lights and came alive with heavier strings. That's without even getting into the different string constructions there are. As others have said, strings aren't that expensive. Experiment and find out what makes your guitar come alive.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 03-24-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parlorman View Post
Guitar tops vary in how much it takes to drive them. I've had guitars that came alive with light or even extra light strings that sounded awful - muddy and too much bass with mediums. The extra tension was over-driving the top. Others were thin and flat sounding with lights and came alive with heavier strings. That's without even getting into the different string constructions there are. As others have said, strings aren't that expensive. Experiment and find out what makes your guitar come alive.
This is very true.
Acoustic guitar tops can be very finicky when it comes to strings.
Take it fro someone who spent way too much money learning the hard way.
...at least I learned.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion