The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-23-2018, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Since its only been since February, you should be able to have your cc company issue a refund.

Then subscribe to Fretboard Journal. Best guitar mag, bar none.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by menhir View Post
...I recently received a generic "WE NEED TO HEAR FROM YOU RIGHT AWAY!" renewal blurb...
I also just received this breathless, panicky email. My subscription expires in August. It’s probably a third-party fulfillment outfit.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:40 AM

that is way too much to spend on that magazine, but, contact your charge card company and file a dispute. if you paid via paypal, contact them and file a dispute. it works.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 03-23-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
Sounds like you got sucked in by a “spoof” site - check the name of the company on your credit card statement, probably a scammer. Dispute the charge, get your money back, report back. If you’re wrong, you owe some major apologies -
I think you win the prize. What the scammers do is spoof an entire website. I got hit with that when I contacted technical support for McAffee. Always, always, always check the URL for the site you are trying to contact if you clicked on a link from a search.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:15 PM

I got some crazy promo last year where it was $9 for a year subscription. A total waste of $9 in my opinion. That mag is garbage.

Subscribe to the Fretboard Journal, and don't look back.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukonkornelius View Post
I got some crazy promo last year where it was $9 for a year subscription. A total waste of $9 in my opinion. That mag is garbage.

I wouldn’t go as far as to call it garbage but it’s certainly a very long way from the great and eagerly anticipated read it was when it started as a bimonthly publication. Too much advertising and articles clearly not much more than advertisements for companies who spend a lot on publicity in the magazine.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 03-23-2018, 08:34 PM

I enjoy AGM ... been a subscriber since 2011 ... never had a single problem. Once when a particular issue failed to arrive (I suspect the postal delivery service) I got in touch with AGM customer service and they immediately sent me a replacement copy by 1st class mail.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 03-23-2018, 08:35 PM

Hi everyone,

Happy Friday evening everyone. I'm 35 now and would rather be at home picking than out at some gin mill. I was credited from my bank for the 29.99. First time I've ever had to do this. Sometimes I get so busy with family/work I might not have noticed until it was too late. Buyer beware. I don't suggest doing business with them at all. Bottom line: Took order, accepted payment, no record of said payment, no record of my address for said subscription, could not refer to my order confirmation number, atrocious customer service. I may sound biased but I did make several reasonable attempts to resolve the problem before I had my bank debit them back.....Back to picking....

Best to all,

FP
2017 MIM Telecaster SE

Spark Amp
Fishman Loudbox Mini.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillStephen View Post
I believe that was Acoustic magazine in the UK.

Yes...the UK mag "Acoustic" ceased publication...

The "Acoustic Guitar" magazine which most here are familiar with is still with us...

My subscription with "Acoustic Guitar" is good thru 2020, and I get the mag every month right on time...
Old 03-24-2018, 03:54 AM

Default Acoustic Guitar Magazine-FAIL

Yes my latest Acoustic Magazine is sadly the last in the UK . Just love guitar magazine day . BTW a great review of the Mesa Acoustic amp in the last issue . Will now start getting Acoustic Guitar . I’ve never seen FJ in the UK
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 03-24-2018, 07:00 AM

The first issue generally takes a couple months. They come before the month printed on the cover and just received the May issue yesterday. Their customer service has been good to me. Once I called when I received an issue with the cover mangled by the post office, they sent me another copy. I always wait for emails from them for heavily discounted renewals, usually under $20. Good luck.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridapicker View Post
Bottom line: Took order, accepted payment, no record of said payment, no record of my address for said subscription, could not refer to my order confirmation number,
That really does sound as if tadol @ post #14 was correct, that you got scammed into sending the money to a spoof site rather than to the real magazine.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:54 PM

AG is certainly not what it once was. I quit subscribing 15, or more, years ago, haven't missed an issue since. That's right! I quit subscribing and they keep sending it, though every year, or so, they threaten me with my subscription expiring, hasn't happened yet. I wish they would carry out the threat, it's become a magazine of ads, either ads for companies or players. Everything and everyone they feature is the greatest thing ever, never a critical word.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukonkornelius View Post

We are neck and neck on that. My $9 went to buy 2 issues at newsstand prices. And haven't bought any issues since. I would say "mostly worthless" more so than garbage because you could at least line a birdcage with it.

Just checked out Fretboard Journal and it looks very promising.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridapicker View Post
Hi everyone,

Happy Friday evening everyone. I'm 35 now and would rather be at home picking than out at some gin mill. I was credited from my bank for the 29.99. First time I've ever had to do this. Sometimes I get so busy with family/work I might not have noticed until it was too late. Buyer beware. I don't suggest doing business with them at all. Bottom line: Took order, accepted payment, no record of said payment, no record of my address for said subscription, could not refer to my order confirmation number, atrocious customer service. I may sound biased but I did make several reasonable attempts to resolve the problem before I had my bank debit them back.....Back to picking....

Best to all,

FP
As others have said, what is it directly through the magazine though or a third party site?
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s