The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-23-2018, 12:55 AM

I've gotten some great results using an Equinox. 2 notches and 3 bands can get it done.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunpowder View Post
I got mine when M.Friend sent me a 20% off coupon. But...I think Eric Skye had one for sale in the classifieds recently for a good price.

I got mine during a storewide sale at Musician’s Friend. I absolutely adore this preamp (the Q/Strip). Since I started using it I’ve had numerous other musicians tell me that I have the best amplified guitar sound they’ve ever heard. I haven’t played live without since I got it.

It’s very much like an old 80s or 90s recording console EQ, both in terms of subtle saturation when you boost frequencies hard and in that the Q gradually increases as you cut or boost frequencies. It is phantom powerable, sips battery power, and sounds really good until the power LED is quite dim. It has high and low pass filters. You have switches that give you extra boost on the 1/4” out or cut on the XLR. These gain switches perfectly match the amounts of correction needed for Mackie Wide-Z preamps. If you turn it off it is an excellent active DI which will correct tone sucking impedance mismatches with passive pickups. It has lots of gain for low output pickups if you need it. I really love everything about it!
Old 03-30-2018, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I got mine during a storewide sale at Musician’s Friend. I absolutely adore this preamp (the Q/Strip). Since I started using it I’ve had numerous other musicians tell me that I have the best amplified guitar sound they’ve ever heard. I haven’t played live without since I got it.

It’s very much like an old 80s or 90s recording console EQ, both in terms of subtle saturation when you boost frequencies hard and in that the Q gradually increases as you cut or boost frequencies. It is phantom powerable, sips battery power, and sounds really good until the power LED is quite dim. It has high and low pass filters. You have switches that give you extra boost on the 1/4” out or cut on the XLR. These gain switches perfectly match the amounts of correction needed for Mackie Wide-Z preamps. If you turn it off it is an excellent active DI which will correct tone sucking impedance mismatches with passive pickups. It has lots of gain for low output pickups if you need it. I really love everything about it!
I’m smitten with this Q/strip preamp. It’s so easy to use, musical sounding, and perfectly matches the Lyric mics I am using. I’m able to dial the remaining boxiness out of the signal, which sits in two bands of low mids. I’ll be using it live this weekend and for a few benefit concerts coming up. When I rehearse with the Q/strip, I sometimes can’t tell I’m plugged in because the speaker output so closely matches what I’m hearing from the guitar itself. Again, this mic and preamp combination won’t be for everyone. But for a folkie like me, so far, so good.
Old 04-21-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
This time, before I installed, I called and spoke with the CS rep at LR Baggs. He gave some great suggestions and provided a diagram with recommendations for an alternate location on the bridge plate along the bass side X brace, and back slightly from the saddle line.

I’m writing this in utter disbelief. I fulled expected this to fail miserably, just like the last two times.

But, instead, I can report that it sounds absolutely excellent. Full stop.
Are you still happy with the Lyric? Do you think that the placement of the pickup is crucial to get satisfying results?
Old 04-21-2019, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

I've tried the Lyric in two different large guitars, a 2013 Taylor 528 First Edition and a 2013 Martin D-18, and had, at best, barely useable results, even when using the LR Baggs Venue DI with it. I installed the Lyric in the recommended location but never tried it elsewhere. I finally got rid of it but maybe if LR Baggs comes out with an "improved" version, I'll give the Lyric another whirl?
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 04-21-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsum View Post
Are you still happy with the Lyric? Do you think that the placement of the pickup is crucial to get satisfying results?

I sold the guitar that the Lyric sounded perfect in. Not sure if it was the guitar, or the specific pickup, or combination of both. I haven’t had that level of success with it since. I can get a good sound with Lyric using a dual parametric EQ. But that’s sort of defeats the “plug and play” intention.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification