The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-21-2018, 05:47 AM
Charter Member

I've got 4 more gigs in with my S1 and I really have it dialed in and getting just fantastic tones. Super happy with it!
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 03-21-2018, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulin View Post
So . . . I returned it...................................
I wonder what kind of deal they would make on it now ?

You know, one that has been returned ?

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 03-21-2018, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Once you get beyond what a single S1 can do by itself, the value proposition diminishes significantly.
I would tend to agree with this. While it would certainly work (in fact I've seen a couple YouTube videos where someone is doing exactly that) for me if I ever find that I need additional power for a larger room/gig I plan to buy a QSC k8.2 and pair them together that way.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

I finally got to see an S1 in the flesh today: I went into a guitar shop to get a box to ship a guitar I sold. Goodness, that is small! The sound via bluetooth was good; I didn't take the time to try out a guitar or mic with it. Interesting idea. Considering, but thinking it may be a duplication of effort, with the L1C... on a stand, the S1 has more of a "footprint."

Still, the battery premise is good. Being a boat guy, I've had gigs on the dock, where power isn't always convenient. I picked up a Street Cube years ago just for the battery option, but that doesn't hold a candle to the S1.
Old 09-13-2022, 11:00 AM

Unhappy Bose Pro S1 and active mic

I just bought Bose S1 Pro. When I connect my Gretsch with passive pickup everything is ok, but when I connect my old Morris with Fishman active pickup I hear quit loud hiss. How to settle this problem?
Old 09-13-2022, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris_1960 View Post
I just bought Bose S1 Pro. When I connect my Gretsch with passive pickup everything is ok, but when I connect my old Morris with Fishman active pickup I hear quit loud hiss. How to settle this problem?
it's possible that the Fishman pickup has considerably more gain, so perhaps if you lower the gain either on the speaker or the guitar this might help. I have a similar problem with my Taylors with the ES1 if I connect them with the 1/4" to XLR cable. Lowering the volume on the guitar helps reduce the hiss. I hope that this helps.
Old 09-13-2022, 04:34 PM

I use a JBL Eon One Tower system for my solo shows.

There are times that it is a bit big and heavy to get from point A to point B.
I drive a Pickup with no cover on the bed, so bad weather is always an issue for the JBL, as it must ride in the bed of the truck.

I just ordered the S1 Pro on sale at Sweetwater and will use it for the shows that I don't need the JBL on.
It can ride inside the cab with me and my guitar.

Wish I had it for Thursday's and Friday's shows but it will be here on Monday.
I will be able to use it for the two shows that I have next week.

I will report back then.
Old 09-15-2022, 12:03 PM
AGF Sponsor

I know this has been mentioned before, but be sure to try your guitar in BOTH the guitar setting and the mic setting to decide which you like. Almost without exception my guitars sound better (better clarity overall and definitely better high end fidelity) when using the mic setting rather than the guitar setting. FWIW, all my guitars have k&K's, sometimes run through my Grace Alix but sometimes with the K&K pre-amp when no power is available (beach weddings and such....)

Gene
Old 09-16-2022, 04:36 AM

I find my J45 with a K & K sounds much better through my S 1 when I use my Red Eye preamp.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 09-19-2022, 03:50 PM

My S1 Pro came today.
I used my Martin GPS-16 Rosewood with active pickup
Mic used was a Shure SM-58
First impressions,

Very small and light.

Has that magical Bose sound [plenty of Bass response]

Not sure how loud it will be able to play or how far it will cover till I use it at the gigs.

I prefer the off positions for both Mic and Guitar [so far]

The PA sounds great in any of the optional positions that it can be placed in.

The Reverb is very clean and nice sounding with both Vocals and Guitar

I will try using the Bose as a second speaker for greater coverage with my JBL Eon One Tower system
Old 09-21-2022, 07:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
My S1 Pro came today.
I used my Martin GPS-16 Rosewood with active pickup
Mic used was a Shure SM-58
First impressions,

Very small and light.

Has that magical Bose sound [plenty of Bass response]

Not sure how loud it will be able to play or how far it will cover till I use it at the gigs.

I prefer the off positions for both Mic and Guitar [so far]

The PA sounds great in any of the optional positions that it can be placed in.

The Reverb is very clean and nice sounding with both Vocals and Guitar

I will try using the Bose as a second speaker for greater coverage with my JBL Eon One Tower system
I was also worried that my S1 Pro wouldn't be loud enough to cover gigs in larger rooms with a lot of people. Boy was I wrong! If you sit it on the floor behind you or to your side in the upright tilt back position it has an amazing ability to fill a room. I discovered this one night at Wild Wing Cafe in Johnson City, TN. I asked a buddy that plays there quite a bit what system I should bring with me and he said "trust me just take the S1". Well I got there to a very large room with about 300 people inside eating and drinking and thought "oh crap" so when I started my first set I had a buddy walk the room and see if I could he heard everywhere. He said that I could easily be heard all over the building and that the volume was almost the same everywhere. During my break I streamed Pandora through the bluetooth and was amazed that it was very clear even back in the restrooms. A little gig advice, if you feel like you're not loud enough, you're probably too loud. Get someone to walk the room and let you know.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 09-22-2022, 05:18 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
I'm still dying to make the trip to Nashville to check one out. Work and business and family stuff has tied me up for months.

I was thinking TWO of them for a duet with multiple instruments should cover a decent sized room.

Is it possible to use 2 mics in one unit? My mandolin and resonator don't have pickups, and a lot of times (for simplicity) I'll just use an SM57 for everything, including my Gibson acoustic (either a J-15 or a J-45).

In other words, one mic for vocals and one for instruments?

I wonder how 2 of them would work at an outdoor event? Loud enough?
I have been using two S1's for about two years. Observations:

The battery power/length of charge is just amazing. I can easily get through a 3 - 4 hour gig and it still shows about 50% power (two blinks of the light when first turned on, rather than four that indicates a full charge).

The automatic EQ depending upon placement and angle was annoying at first. Placing one or both my S1's on the floor resulted in way too much bass, which made feedback a problem even with the bass control turned all the way down and the treble all the way up. I ended up using them on two On-Stage DT7500 stools with the pad removed. This was a big improvement in terms of limiting feedback from the bass end. Why do amp manufacturers assume that lots of bass end = good sound? I seen/heard this tendency from MANY high end amps that I've owned including AER, Schertler, ACUS, Rivera and others.

Using two S1's gives me a LOT of options in set-up. I typically run my vocal mic and Boss rhythm machine through one and guitar (and sometimes an additional mic) through the other. But if I'm playing a small room or a private party or gallery reception, one S1 is more than adequate for the job.

While the sound of my guitars plugged directly into the S1 is decent, assuming I have access to power I will use my Grace Alix to dial in a much more refined and resonant sound. I sometimes use the K&K battery powered pre-amp - all my guitars are equipped with K&K pickups - but while i have much more control of both the high and low end sound using one (compared with plugging in direct with no pre-amp) I'm not thrilled with the overall sound when using one. Yes, they are practical when there is no power available and small enough to throw in the bag I use for cords and accessories but there is a certain raspy and artificial sound that is always there with the K&K pre-amp. I used a RedEye for many years, which gave a more mellow acoustic sound. But you may find you like the sound just fine when plugged in direct.

Even with a brand new or relatively new S1, be sure to download the Bose app on your phone or tablet and link the S1 and check for software updates. Using the last one that was made available earlier this year I heard a noticeable improvement in fidelity and overall sound quality.

Bottom line: I love the sound of my Bose S1 Pro's (with some experimentation to find the best fidelity for the room I'm playing) and I have no problem being heard in rooms that may have 300 people or more.

Gene

Cape Cod Acoustics
Old 09-22-2022, 05:50 AM
Charter Member

mmm, old fashioned Limey bloke here.

Q1. why would you want "bluetooth" ? Do we have bluetooth acoustic guitars now?

Q2. No phantom power facility for condenser mics?

Q3. What about level and gain on mics ?

Confused of UK.
Old 09-22-2022, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
mmm, old fashioned Limey bloke here.

Q1. why would you want "bluetooth" ? Do we have bluetooth acoustic guitars now?

Confused of UK.
1. Bluetooth allows you to connect the S1 to your phone for software updates, monitoring battery power remaining and to stream music through the system for breaks, etc. It’s a useful tool to have.

2. No phantom power which is a negative for the S1, however I don’t gig with condenser mics so not an issue for me.

3. The mic / guitar inputs have level, reverb, bass and treble controls. There isn’t a master volume and that is definitely a negative. I use an AER Gigmix compact mixer for all my gigs regardless of my amp/system so this overcomes all of the negatives for me.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 09-22-2022, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post

Confused of UK.
Dear Confused,

I've been recommending the ART dual pre as a perfect accessory for the s1 pro. I had one in the gig box for ages and just thought to give it a go.

All your phantom power and mic gain needs catered for. Battery or wall-wart power.

Hope that helps,

Pleasantly Surprised of Oop North.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification