The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-19-2016, 10:11 AM

Default Pedal board acoustic help

Hey everyone!

Here's an update on my pedal board progress so far!

**Update - Any suggestions on making a handmade board to hold my pedals? I'm thinking 18x14 inches
Any features I can add to make the board visibly appealing? Any features to consider adding (that is not normally seen on factory-made boards) that will help practically?

Potential Pedals: (**Updated)

Boss TU-3 - OBTAINED
Boss DD-20 giga - OBTAINED
TC Ditto Looper - OBTAINED
Boss Tap Tempo pedal - OBTAINED
Volume Pedal (mini ones)?
Crybaby Wah mini
Boss BD-2 Blues
Boss RV-5 or TC HOF (Reverb)

are any of these a bad idea?
any other pedal suggestions?
am I missing anything that would be necessary?
How can I do swells with an acoustic?

I use a Taylor 114ce with a Fishman Loudbox Mini and I mostly play at church services.
My playing style is primarily rhythm at high speeds with slaps, but I do enjoy finger-picking and creating leads with my looper when I'm at home. I also enjoy ambient swells).

Thanks! and i'm sorry for the many questions! I'm fairly new to the electronics scene of guitars

Last edited by JKW-HTX; 11-25-2016 at 03:39 PM. Reason: update
Old 01-19-2016, 10:26 AM

My acoustic pedal setup is as follows:

Boss TU3 tuner
Boss DM-2 Analog Delay
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss TR-2 Tremolo
Boss RV-3 Digital Reverb/Delay
Boss GE-7 EQ

It all fits perfectly in my BOSS BCB-6 carrying case:

Last edited by 6L6; 01-22-2016 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:27 AM

Distortion is of limited use with an acoustic as are wah and pitch. In an acoustic context they are all novelty fx that will only see occasional use (unless you are a dyed in the wool 'noisenic'). Your amp has decent reverb built in so that leaves the volume and delay (as you already have the looper, great little pedal BTW, I have one as well as a Ditto X2 and a Boss RC30.....). Decay is very nice on acoustic and a volume pedal will allow some swells (put it at the end of your fx chain for that). You could also consider some other time domain fx like chorus, phase and flanging to add colours to your sound. I like the TC PolyTune BTW (a tuner is always a useful thing to have).

Any and all could be used on an electric pedalboard as well.

My acoustic pedal board has TC Polytune mini, TC Spark booster (for lead breaks in lieu of a volume pedal), Mooer Reecho delay and ditto X2 (all powered from a Pedaltrain Volto power pack, a godsend for open mic sessions). The Electric board has TC Polytune, Cry Baby, SD Pickup Booster, TC Dual Vintage Distortion, Cheap Delay and compressor, TC HoF mini (always on as my amp has no reverb) and Ditto looper (only occasionally used).
Mountain D45 (mid '80s)
Brian Eastwood ES175/L5
Gibson Les Paul Custom (1975)
Brian Eastwood '61 Strat
Bitsa Strat with P90s (my main electric)
The Loar F5 Mandolin,
Samick A4 Mandolin
Epiphone Mandobird
Brian Eastwood '51 P Bass
NS Design Wav EUB
Giordano EUB
Old 01-19-2016, 11:38 AM

My pedal board
Body Rez for the Taylors lousy inboard pickups
Boss Phase Shifter
Boss Chorus
Digital Delay (Im at work so I don't remember the brand)
Ditto Looper
Of course for electric guitar and vocals there are many more pedals (I like to make many noises
PRS Studio
PRS Semi Hollow Custom SE
G&L Telecaster
60th aniv Fender Stratocaster
PRS Hollowbody
Gibson Firebird
Taylor Koa 12 Fret Ltd
Various Epiphone Guitars
Old 01-19-2016, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

I've been through a few signal chains the last 4 years and feel I've pretty nailed down the best for me that is extremely transparent even bypassed **( some effects/EQs I have found color tone or take things away even bypassed).

I play instrumental Fingerstyle Jazz, Rock, Blues My signal chain is a Boss TU3- Fishman Tonedeq- Flashback Delay- Ditto X2. I use it for my guitars equipped with LR Baggs Anthem, Fishman UST, and Taylor ES.

The backbone is the Tonedeq and is great by itself.

The Flashback delay has been staple of my signal chain for most of the 3 years, but I did have an Flashback x4 I now regret selling. If I had it, I'd use it instead of the single Flashback and Ditto x2.

One thing that keeps coming back to me is keep it clean, keep it simple.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

My pedal board consists of the following:

Fire Eye Red Eye...

And that's all. I used to have a whole bunch like you are looking at but I whittled them away to just the Red Eye. Since I'm only doing acoustic there really wasn't much need for anything else.

I did recently pick up a Ditto X2 for playing around with at home, but I won't ever use it out. We only play small, coffee shop or open mic type gigs anyway. We play through an SA220 and use the onboard reverb. I tune with an app on my phone.

Don't spend a lot on pedals for an acoustic set up. You most likely end up not needing/using most of it in the end.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:59 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'll cut out the wah, reverb, and blues driver. I'll get the DD20 or Flashback x4 after some research and I'll get a VP.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

Also, check out the Acoustic Amplification page - lots of posts about acoustic pedal set-ups with photos including this one, which is 22 pages long and counting:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=281256
Old 01-20-2016, 07:19 AM

I don't really use a pedalboard for acoustic stuff, but if I of the top of my mind were to put together something versatile…

Tuner, chorus, delay and a looper.

The tuner because… Yeah.

Chrous and delay to fatten up the sound. And to add some color. Looper so that I can play a rhythm part and then solo over it.

I'd drop the reverb because of the nature of the acoustic. It's a natural reverb chamber.

And as for distortion; it's fun to play around with in a studio setting, but live? It wouldn't be worth the hassle for me. To much feedback.

And yes, all of the pedals you put up there would work just as well on an electric.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKW-HTX View Post
Thanks for the replies. I'll cut out the wah, reverb, and blues driver. I'll get the DD20 or Flashback x4 after some research and I'll get a VP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeimBrent View Post

I'd drop the reverb because of the nature of the acoustic. It's a natural reverb chamber.
I humbly disagree with cutting the reverb unless you use the Delay to emulate Reverb or the PA is adding the effect. Reverb is more about creating perception of space/depth in the sound and listening environment more so than the guitar's acoustic qualities (which it does somewhat). A guitar with a very good pickup, reproducing the body's "aire", can still sound flat and lifeless in the performance environment.

Speaking of using Delay to emulate Reverb, the Delay effect even used softly can create a sharp "reflection" that is out of place or even sound off beat, especially when strumming. For that reason I prefer not to use Delay except for solo effects. In my experience, Delay works well by adding even more space between guitar parts, perception of sustain, or creating artistic effects for solo guitar.

To me Reverb is the effect that completes a good performance sound. EQ provides the tonal spectrum and Reverb creates the space.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKW-HTX View Post
Hey everyone!

I would appreciate any thoughts on my list of pedals that I'm thinking of buying in the future.
I have very little experience with a pedal board, let alone using pedals with acoustic guitars so feel free to be blunt with me.

Here's my list so far:

Boss TU-3 (Tuner)
Ernie Ball VP Jr (Volume)
Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-20 giga (Digital Delay)
Boss BD-2 Blues
Boss RV-5 or TC HOF (Reverb)
EH Pitchfork?
TC Ditto Looper (already own)

I can't buy these all at once, what do ya'll think I should prioritize first?
are any of these a bad idea?
any other pedal suggestions?
am I missing anything that would be necessary?
would these be quality pedals for an electric pedal board as well?

I use a Taylor 114ce with a Fishman Loudbox Mini and I mostly play at church services.
My playing style is primarily rhythm at high speeds with slaps, but I do enjoy finger-picking and creating leads with my looper when I'm at home. I also enjoy ambient swells (if its possible to do decent ones on acoustic).

Thanks! and i'm sorry for the many questions! I'm fairly new to the electronics scene of guitars
The tuner is always a good start! The TU-3 has (I believe) the ability to power other pedals via a daisy chain so that might be helpful for you. Having owned a DD-20 I can confirm that it is a great delay and also has a loop function which may, or may not, make your ditto obsolete... I'd suggest keeping it (the ditto) at the end of your chain for when you want to record the sonic high architecture that you've created with all your other boxes. I applaud your use of distortion as a texture but screaming leads etc don't tend to translate that well on an acoustic in my own experience. Temporal effects are always fun (tremolo in particular) but try and keep any and all use of chorus and other modulation within the boundaries of good taste...

Unless that's not an issue in which case stretch out!
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:25 PM

Get the tuner and the reverb pedal and call it a day.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:04 PM

This is what I use for home & church. While I love ambient washes, I found that copius amounts of reverb on acoustics can sometimes be a recipe for feedback. YMMV, of course. But this little rig will do just about anything I want for acoustic - tuner, boost (or not) & tape-voiced delay with the Emmie, and a looper. I've had the RV-5, HOF, Holy Grail nano, and the Trinity reverbs, and found that I prefer the sound that an analog or tape-sounding delay brings. Perfect for EITS type material too, despite the lack of pedal 'verb edit: although I would consider adding an RV-3

Last edited by cloudyafternoon; 01-21-2016 at 06:14 AM.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:04 PM

I use a TC harmonizer and the only two pedals I have are the Boss RV-5 and DD-7. I use the delay for specific songs & a slapback effect. The RV5 is really nice for it's shimmer-style mode (modulate I believe is the term they use)...I like that one with my acoustic. (No experience with an HOF)

So, yes, I, too, highly recommend a reverb with spatial modes.

bradM - SW Ohio - love to pick!

<{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}><
Old 01-21-2016, 12:54 AM

I agree about keeping the reverb on your wish list. I've never tried an RV-5 (I only own a few Boss pedals--so far), but I do have a Hall of Fame. Like all the TC Electronic pedals I've tried so far, it's a good effect.

There's a used RV-5 for sale on another forum I use, along with an EHX Holy Grail. I thought of getting one of them, but I don't know how useful the "Flerb" on the Holy Grail or the "Gate" on the RV-5 would be. I think I'll just stick with the HoF for now.
Two of my amps have built-in reverb, but it's only adjustable for level, not for Room, Hall, etc. as the pedals are.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
acoustic/electric guitar, help!, pedalboard, pedalboard setup, pedals