The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-23-2005, 05:17 PM

Default Help Needed ; Assembling a Stratocaster

I am planning to assemble a Fender Strat using parts purchased individually (just because).
Can anyone offer any advice or "gotcha's" that I need to watch for?
Does anyone know of a book or video that may help in getting this project done? I know Stewart McDonald has videos and books that may be helpful but, has anyone actually used one?
Any help, advice or otherwise will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:29 PM
.tom the übergeek

Some "gotchas"

1) it will cost more to buy parts and assemble it than just to buy the guitar.
2) if you start down a path (American, Mexican, whatever) stick with that series to ensure neck pocket and bridge fit.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:47 PM

Thanks Tom! Good advice on keeping with the same series.
I kinda figured it will cost more in the long run but, I just would like to do it for the fun and experience. I may even learn something about guitars along the way (big bonus).
Old 04-23-2005, 06:23 PM

You might want to consider one of the Carvin kits. They contain everything you need except the finish. Warmoth also has a bunch of stuff. Doesn't have the resale value of a Fender, but if you're building from pieces it may not make much of a difference.
Old 04-23-2005, 07:02 PM
The Middle Way

I recently assembled a Telecaster from parts "just because". It was a lot of fun a I learned a lot about the the instrument itself.

I had a little trouble with the wiring. But with a little assitance from Stew-Mac and Seymour Duncan websites, I got it working just fine.

I would suggest the following book: "Make Your Own Electric Guitar" by Melvyn Hiscock. A very good resource.

Guitars: Too many, but current favorite: 2006 Santa Cruz D-12

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." - Buddha

Blog: soundr
Old 04-23-2005, 07:03 PM
The Middle Way

By the way, here is a picture:

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." - Buddha

Old 04-23-2005, 08:51 PM

Anthony, very nice looking instrument! And, thanks for the book suggestion. I'm going to check it out.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

I built a Strat from Warmoth parts. Not only are they high quailty, they're one of the few manufacturers licensed by Fender, so if you get an American Fender neck later, it should fit fine. I sold it, and didn't make any money, but it's my favorite Strat of the three I've owned, including a 62 Vintage Reissue.

I got it as a hardtail with a hollow body, Quilted maple top with Turquoise stain (I left the finish work to them). It end up costing me just at what a low end American Strat would cost, or slightly less, and that was letting them do the finish work.

I'm all for it - it feels great to play something you put togther yourself. My current one and only is from their parts, too, but I did the finish work so it's not so purty - still cool though:

Take care!

Wade

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Old 04-23-2005, 11:12 PM

Go for it. From what I have heard, the Stew Mac video is good, so go ahead and get it. It will be helpful.

Gabriel
Old 04-24-2005, 04:52 PM

Wade,
What wood is the top? Spalted ? Looks slick!
Old 04-24-2005, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Gtrs
Wade,
What wood is the top? Spalted ? Looks slick!
Yep... it was my introduction to spalted maple!
Old 04-25-2005, 11:18 AM

Dan Erlewine's "How to Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great!: The Electric Guitar Owner's Manual" is a pretty good resource. On Fender's site under their resource section they have parts and wiring diagrams for their current models. There is diagrams that show how switches and pups are wired with capacitor values. Also parts lists with p/n's. Stew-Mac has a free info section with pages you can print off for setting up and assembling. Search on web, lots of sites with info.

Stew-Mac, Allparts, Warmoth, etc. sell electronics and hardware. Some places have a min. amount required to place an order, some have higher shipping. Make a list of everything you need and doublecheck before ordering.

Some stuff to consider, do you want a vintage bridge or modern bridge? String spacing, routing is different, so if you find a body you like, make sure it's routed for your preference. Fender necks usually have 7.25" radius fingerboards with smaller vintage frets or 9.5" with med. jumbo frets. Nut widths can be 1-5/8" or 1-11/16th". Neck profiles can be different some thinner, some meatier. You may know all of this, but if not do some research on the models that Fender makes, so you know what to look for if you are buying off e-bay.

Last edited by Plectrum; 04-25-2005 at 12:11 PM.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:52 PM

As others have said, it will cost more, and maybe a lot more.

Also don't try to sell it - you will get a fraction of a real factory made guitar.

Factory assembly is pretty good - so at best you will have something just as good. On average - you have something not as good as a factory guitar.

If I were to build one for a learning experience, I would use some special parts, make it a deluxe model with some features you can't buy off the rack. I would not assemble a "standard" guitar from parts. But that's just me.

If you just want to see how one is put together - why not buy one, take is all apart, then put it all back together? You'll save so much money doing it this way.

The hardest part is staining/coloring the body properly. Here is another idea, buy the body only, try to stain/paint it. If you mess up and don't feel like fixing it, just give up then and there. If you do well - proceed to buy the rest of the stuff.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:28 PM
The Middle Way

You can never try to build a guitar thinking you will:
1. Make money
2. Assemble it better that the guy at the Fende plant who assembles thousands.

Build one becuase it is fun. It is! I agree you should do something different; it will add a little spice to the project. For example, on the Telecaster I built, I used fancy Seymor Duncan pickups (for better/differenct tone) and a Stratocaster neck (caus I like the headstock)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification