The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-01-2010, 02:50 PM

Default Zorb-it/Silica gel pack users: Where do you put them inside your cases?

I'm going to try out a Zorb-it, but I have a question for those who use Zorb-its and/or silica gel packs:

Where do you place them in your case?

Reason I'm asking is because, ideally, they go near/around the body of the guitar. But my cases are snug, and there's no room for that. So, I'm curious where everyone puts theirs, if not by the body.

Options I could think of: inside the body, under the headstock, inside the case compartment. But I can see flaws in all of those places.

Thanks for any input!

Edit: I tried to remove the word Humidipak from the title, but couldn't. I remembered these go into the guitar.
Blueridge BR-140A
Ibanez Talman
Harmony Sovereign circa 1970s

Last edited by skatalite; 07-01-2010 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:16 AM

When i got my zorbit pack it said not to put it inside the guitar on any unfinished wood surface.The letter i got with it says it's safe to put it on the finished surface of the guitar,laying underneath the body or propped up against on of the sides.I have a gap in my case between the heel and the rest of the case,i stuck it on there.It says not to but i figured since it was a cheap case and the round "sticker" wouldn't do much harm.I could be wrong though,but it's a cheap case,it does the trick.
My Tunes
Facebook
Old 07-02-2010, 12:53 AM

mine has lots of gaps - around the cutaway and the waists because my GA is in a dread case.

if you are using a silica gel pack, it doesnt get moist or wet so it should be safe inside the body, but will be troublesome taking it out when you want to.

Taylor 114ce
Epiphone AJ220SCE
Epiphone IB64 Texan FT-79
Ibanez Artwood AW15
Ibanez AEG10NII
Ovation CC44-4q

Takamine EG440C STRQ (gone)
Ibanez Artcore AG75 (gone)
Old 07-02-2010, 07:37 AM

I did the same as buck. Put my Zorb-it on the side of the pick drawer, between the case and the heel. Seems to work pretty well there. Keeps the case at about 52% on really humid days.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_A View Post
mine has lots of gaps - around the cutaway and the waists because my GA is in a dread case.

if you are using a silica gel pack, it doesnt get moist or wet so it should be safe inside the body, but will be troublesome taking it out when you want to.
Thanks for the information!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo View Post
I did the same as buck. Put my Zorb-it on the side of the pick drawer, between the case and the heel. Seems to work pretty well there. Keeps the case at about 52% on really humid days.
Ah, excellent idea. I know my Epiphone case has a gap there, so hopefully they can be found in my Alvarez and Yamaha cases.
Blueridge BR-140A
Ibanez Talman
Harmony Sovereign circa 1970s
Old 07-02-2010, 09:44 AM

I sometimes use silica gel packets (not sure if they actually do a lot, they're pretty small), and I put them near the head stock and a couple on the heal.

If you're really concerned about humidity, you can also air out the case once in a while if you want - keep it open when you play, maybe let a fan run on it for a bit.

"Yeah!" - Blind Boy Fuller

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion