The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-14-2006, 08:17 PM

Default Parkwood Guitars - thoughts?

I'm in the market for a moderately priced acoustic guitar. I came upon the Parkwood PW310M at GC and it seems to be an exceptionally built guitar that sounds great for the price. I was looking at guitars like the Takamine GS330S and the Fender DG100. The Parkwood is a bit more expensive, but you get a solid wood construction and nice gig bag thrown in. I guess I'm skeptical because I haven't seen much written about these guitars. Anybody have any thoughts?
Old 12-14-2006, 08:18 PM

Parkwood is a Guitar Center (Guitar Cluster) exclusive. That may be why there isn't much written about them

Ovation CSE24
Old 12-14-2006, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

Having absolutly nothing else to do for an hour or so, I found myself in the acoustic room of my local GC last week. I played the Parkwood they had there and was underwhelmed. However, I then play a Gibson Songerwriter for about the same money and was impressed. Hope this helps.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:41 PM

I spent some time playing the Parkies at GC and they didn't float my boat either. They have a Slope shouldered Masterbilt on the other hand that is crazy good for quite a bit less than the Parkies I played.

1997 Tacoma PM20
1998 Tacoma CC10
2001 Tacoma C5C
2004 Tacoma C1C
2004 Tacoma EMM30 "Forum Guitar"
Old 12-14-2006, 09:42 PM

My impressions:

Judging by what I was told, they are at least top and bottom solid wood. Not sure about the sides on all of the models. For the most part the construction looks on par with Blueridge and Johnson guitars. The sound wasn't particularly good in my mind nor was the playability at the store. Something about the fact that it's a Guitar Center brand sort of taints my impression of the guitars as well.

To be fair, these guitars pretty much compete with anything else in their price range although the Breedlove Atlas series, Guild GADs, and Epiphone Masterbuilts are all better buys in my mind.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:12 PM

Thanks, everyone. That does help. I'll check out some of the other guitars you suggested. Any more thoughts on the Parkwood would be appreciated.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:47 PM

All I know about them is that Cort makes them, and the brand is exclusive to Guitar Center. You can probably find a lot more comments about Corts. I know some people thought a lot of them.

Last edited by tbp0701; 12-15-2006 at 12:28 AM.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:57 PM

The Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500M looks like a great guitar for the money as well. Anyone have any thoughts on this guitar?
Old 12-14-2006, 11:51 PM

Personally, I think the Epi Masterbuilts sound better than the Parkwood models, at least the ones I've played. Had more bass, more depth, and character to me.

Jeff
Old 12-15-2006, 05:57 AM

Agree fully with the comment that the Masterbuilts sound better. I wish that the EF's didn't have the V neck though or I'd have more than one of these guitars. My hand, although large, just does not feel comfortable when I move up the neck and try to quickly move across the strings. Something about that hump throws a wrench into the equation. Nearer to the nut though, the taper is less and it feels more comfortable though. The DR's though don't have that issue. I wish that they would use the same neck on the EF's (although at 1 3/4").

By the way, getting back onto the Parkwood theme..... sorry...

The Parkwoods are made by Cort and are of course part of the countless thousands that they make for a variety of the big names. If you wanted an all solid wood guitar, you could do much worse. I'd also look heavily at the Alvarez clan for their consistent quality levels and warranty / customer support. If you want a model that has this top / that back, chances are they'd have it and it wood compete well with Parkwood.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:10 AM

Also check the Seagull S6. I had a Cort. Well built guitar. But the sound of the Seagull is way better.
Larrivée OM3-12
Traveler Escape
Taylor T5 black
Old 12-15-2006, 06:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeInLex View Post
My impressions:

To be fair, these guitars pretty much compete with anything else in their price range although the Breedlove Atlas series, Guild GADs, and Epiphone Masterbuilts are all better buys in my mind.

Ditto on that. I've played a few and, well, I own a Masterbilt, not a Parkwood. But, if one calls to you, then get it. You have to be happy. GC has a 30 day return policy if you want to try it out at home.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-17-2006, 04:22 PM

Default Breedlove or Masterbilt

Alright, I gave up on the Parkwood. I tried a few of the other guitars in this price range and liked them a lot better for tone and playability. But now I'm torn - I can't decide between the Breedlove Atlas AD20-SM or the Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500M. I like them both for different reasons. The Epi is all solid wood, while the Breedlove has laminated sides with a solid front and back. I don't know how important that is.

Anybody want to weigh in? I could use your expert advice.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:12 PM

Epiphone.............

Better warranty (life) and for me at least, better neck feel. String spacing at the saddle feels a little wider to me.

Breedlove sounds cooler though. More wow factor.

But get the one that feels and sounds better (that's my criteria).
Old 12-17-2006, 08:21 PM

THE TAKAMINE GS330S IS SIMPLY THE BEST ACOUSTIC GUITAR UNDER $600 THAT I HAVE EVER PLAYED. Ive had one for about a year....and honestly, it is the best acoustic guitar for that price, and even the best acoustic guitar, in my opinion, for under $600. Seriously, it is amazing....It has a very full clean sound, and it is comparible to my friends martin. my guitar teacher also could not belive it was 300.....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion