The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-02-2009, 10:49 AM

This weekend was the first time I used a Bose and had the responsibility of tearing it down, carrying it, etc...

First, I love the sound. I have a fishstick and there is no question IMHO, that the Bose is superior. But that comes at a price, it costs a lot more, but the tear down and set up and the weight is pretty much the same as a traditional PA, especially if you're using a mixer and two powered cabs with stands. And that is what is relevant to your question. With the subwoofer, base, two bayonets, and the T1, you're still carrying a bunch of stuff and both the sub and the base are reasonably heavy and roughly the size of a small powered speaker.

So... maybe a good pair of powered speakers and a small mixer with a good verb built in would meet your needs. Still... the bose sounds great
that's me on guitar
Old 11-02-2009, 11:00 AM

Matt,
Why don't you plug your vocals into the BOSE, and keep your guitar in the AER 60, or send a line out to the BOSE?
davidc
Old 11-02-2009, 11:07 AM

Hmm, good question, David. My guitarist uses his Bose for his monitoring--it's near him, on the other side of the stage. So, he doesn't really, at least right now, use it as a PA. I suppose I could ask him to change that. If I were to get a Bose, I think the soundstage could be quite impressive. Ah, the search for the holy grail in sound never ends.

Good advice all

Cheers

Matt
Old 11-02-2009, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Default Ding ding

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopper View Post
Matt,
Why don't you plug your vocals into the BOSE, and keep your guitar in the AER 60, or send a line out to the BOSE?
davidc
Yeah, couldn't you put the Bose between you?

I really like the stuff on your MySpace page; we're definitely mining similar veins.

RE: Hood River: I have a lot of family and friends in Portland (which is c. 6 hrs from here), so we get overe there about once a year or so. So maybe we can check y'all out in Hood River sometime. We've gotten in the habit of splitting the trip with a stop in Walla Walla for good food in wine, but we could swap it for good food and beer pretty easily, if music were thrown into the equation.

Also, could you send your drummer my way?

Last edited by tdrake; 11-02-2009 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:35 PM
.tom the übergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopper View Post
Matt,
davidc
david,

I am sorry....you have obviously completely disregarded the "GAS Support" clause of membership here. We have a member who is DESPERATELY trying to spend some cash and get a much-needed GAS fix and you are suggest he buy,.....<GASP> NOTHING? How dare you?
Old 11-02-2009, 01:01 PM

Oh man, as I've mentioned before, here and elsewhere, the hunt is part of the fun! You know, the research into and possibility of getting a new sound system is exciting. Someday, though, I'd like to be through with it all--to be satisfied. My wife just laughs.

tdrake--we post all of our gigs on the myspace page, so if you're ever around, please contact me. And be ready to sit in!

Cheers

Matt
Old 11-02-2009, 02:22 PM

Like the name of your band. A little Robert Earl Keen influence I would say...

My Soundcloud Page

https://soundcloud.com/membler-1

'68 D18
Martin 00-28VS Maury's Music Custom
Eastman Travel Guitar
Martin LX Travel Guitar
Greven 12 Fret FX
E20SS Eastman
00-15 Martin
Collings 000-2h
Gold Tone AC-6 6 string banjo
Voyage Air VAOM-02
'52 RI Tele
Old 11-02-2009, 02:30 PM

Thanks Mike, definitely some REK influence (love the guy), although, as I'm sure you're aware, it's a McMurtry tune. Plus, the name has a bit of relevance to my last name (Mesa--get it?)--kind of a nice juxtaposition. Of course, we live in an area surrounded by mountains, but levelland fits anyway...

Cheers

Matt
Old 11-02-2009, 02:39 PM

I thought REK wrote it. Learn something everyday. Your list of influences are very similar to mine. You list Whiskey Town but not Ryan Adams? I've road my motorcycle through your area a few times in my life. And is that a Cole Clark in your profile picture on my space?

My Soundcloud Page

'68 D18
Eastman Travel Guitar
Martin LX Travel Guitar
Greven 12 Fret FX
E20SS Eastman
00-15 Martin
Collings 000-2h
Voyage Air VAOM-02
'52 RI Tele
Old 11-02-2009, 02:49 PM

Next time you ride your bike through the Gorge--which I imagine is quite wonderful--maybe we'll be playing. Whiskeytown v. Ryan? For me, Strangers Almanac was the peak. What can I say? And no, it's not a Cole Clark, but my old Taylor 420. Now my friends are a couple of Collings.

Cheers

Matt
Old 11-02-2009, 03:34 PM

I don't get up that way much anymore sine I moved from Las Vegas to Denver. Nice riding around here tho. I don't perform out, but I'm surprised no one has suggested the Solo Amp to you. I have one I play and sing through in my basement and I'm very pleased with the sound and power. Very easy setup.

Good luck on your journey!

My Soundcloud Page

'68 D18
Eastman Travel Guitar
Martin LX Travel Guitar
Greven 12 Fret FX
E20SS Eastman
00-15 Martin
Collings 000-2h
Voyage Air VAOM-02
'52 RI Tele
Old 11-03-2009, 08:14 AM

I forgot to mention, in my earlier response, that you might want to visit the Bose Musicians forum and check out some of their "sketcher" posting. It's a way to position the Bose unit[s] and signal routing, to get the most out of your set-up. They have them for bands of all sizes and different instrument combinations.
My personal thought would be add the second Bose, put one behind each of you stringed musicians, with the drummer set up in the middle, slightly behind. With an L-1 on each side and slightly behind him, he could hear the mix much better and everyone's working off the same "monitor" and that's what the audience is hearing.
They've got a great community of users and you might even be able to arrange for a loan/rental of one for a real live test-drive. The T-1 module also has some vocal effects and you can store your own personal settings. If I could afford it, I'd get one to add to my model 1. That would give me seven inputs on one l-1.
Check it out.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

I play in an acoustic roots trio with acoustic guitar, mandolin and fiddle. For us a single Bose L-1 classic and bass unit works great. We all play through mics into a small mixer then into the Bose which serves as monitor and PA. This seems to work well for the similar size venues we've been playing. But, we don't have a drummer...

If you need more volume or dispersion I'd second the recommendation to get a second Bose w/ bass unit and put one behind you on the left and right to serve as monitor and PA. I'd be inclined to run all of the instruments through a small mixer then run the same mixer output to the two Bose systems. That way everyone will be hearing what the audience is hearing. To me that's a big benefit.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:08 AM

Thanks all for the advice. I've decided to heed it and have put my AER equipment up for sale (see the classifieds!). If you know anyone who could benefit from a very nice AER system, send them my way.

Cheers

Matt

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification