The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-17-2020, 07:14 AM

Question Any opinions on the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB audio interface? (Gen 3)

Hi, all,

I'm thinking about buying this interface -- just curious if any of you have used this brand or model and if you'd recommend it. I have a 2017 MacBook Pro and a Blue Yeti mic that I normally record with (my DAW is Logic Pro X), but I'm trying to step up my recording game a little.

Lauren
Old 08-17-2020, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren_WarEagle View Post
Hi, all,

I'm thinking about buying this interface -- just curious if any of you have used this brand or model and if you'd recommend it. I have a 2017 MacBook Pro and a Blue Yeti mic that I normally record with (my DAW is Logic Pro X), but I'm trying to step up my recording game a little.

Lauren
There's a bunch of USB interfaces that you can choose from, and in reality it would be difficult to differentiate based on actual performance for most users as long as the drivers were class-compliant or written well to perform properly with a wide variety of computers.

I've had a few interfaces and my biggest complaint is having to stand on your head to see the controls and/or labeling when they sit on a desktop. I finally purchased a Mackie Onyx Blackjack that faces the controls logically toward the user. It's been fine for years, but is no longer made.

I don't have any experience with their products, but Solid State Logic is now making a similar product, the SSL2 usb interface. They have a model that's slightly higher priced if you need midi and 2 headphone outputs. Perhaps there's someone else who has used the SSL product that can add their opinion of the product, but they are a top-notch company with a long history in the field of audio and console production.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...udio-interface

Not endorsing the SSL2, but do evaluate your long-term needs. USB interfaces are now inexpensive enough that it's not a major purchase.

Last edited by Rudy4; 08-17-2020 at 08:15 AM.
Old 08-17-2020, 09:09 AM

I have the next model up in Focusrite's Scarlett line on my desk beside me that used to be my main interface in my "Studio B" which is my tiny home office. I now use it to power my monitors on my Windows 10 mixing and editing computer.

I now use an IK Multimedia AxeIO in it's place in my office on 2018 Mac Mini running Logic Pro X that is my initial composing and then "overdubs and fixes on stuff recorded in my studio space" computer and interface. I preferred the AxeIO for what I think is a better direct in for electric guitar (no amp, no mic, just guitar cable into the instrument in input), something that I do fairly often in my little home office.

My studio space uses a large, higher input count Focusrite setup, but let's leave that out of things.

I had another 2nd Gen Scarlett and a 1st Gen Solo before this. Never had a lick of trouble with any of these smaller Focusrite products. Sometimes I wish for more gain with some mics, but since I use an ElectroVoice EV20 and a Shure SM7b I already have a Cloudlifter to boost levels of those known to be lower output level mics. Other things I like are subtle. I like the big monitor volume knob. I like the glow-ring level indicators (big enough to see out of the corner of your eye if you clip into the red zone, which you don't want to do!)

I'll leave any reports of detail differences in sound quality to those with better ears than me. The only deficiency/difference I ever noticed was better sounding electric guitar DI on the AxeIO. I didn't find any notable difference in using a microphone when I changed over.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 08-17-2020, 09:42 AM

I have a Scarlett 2i4 (gen 2) that's worked flawlessly for me for a couple of years, first with Garageband and now with Logic. Suits all of my recording needs.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 08-17-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Hi, all,

Lauren
Hi Lauren
Focusrite is very popular. They do a good job of recording. Not all interfaces are identical.

I opted for the MOTU M2 (Mark of the Unicorn) interface for my casual/kind-of-serious recording interface over the Scarlett because of the total package of features, plus a really low self-noise floor.
  • iOS USB-C interconnect-ability and iOS compatibility
  • Individual input/output meters (meters which give a better approximation of the level of signal before overdriving the signal)
  • Individual channel Phantom power (there is equipment I do not want phantom power going to)
  • Selectable on the fly switching input levels between Mic/line/instrument
  • Physical ON/OFF switch…which means I do not need to unplug it from the computer to turn it off when not in use.
  • Two pair of outputs
  • Midi in/out
  • Low latency (2.5ms @24-bit/96kHz)

The Scarlett has many of these features - but the several they do not have, I want/need/utilize.

For me this was staging down from a pair of high speed 8 channel MOTU firewire recording interfaces which I used in a studio for years.

The studio phase of my life ended, the original equipment aged out, and I still want to do some simple recording for myself or friends.

Not trying to confuse, nor steer you in a particular direction. Just wanted to introduce 'things-to-think-about' into the discussion.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-17-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
There's a bunch of USB interfaces that you can choose from, and in reality it would be difficult to differentiate based on actual performance for most users as long as the drivers were class-compliant or written well to perform properly with a wide variety of computers.
Yes. It is difficult to buy a bad one. Having said that, Focusrite users seem to be pretty happy with their purchases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I've had a few interfaces and my biggest complaint is having to stand on your head to see the controls and/or labeling when they sit on a desktop.
My first interface was a PreSonus AudioBox USB 96, and it was a great interface, especially since it was bundled with Studio One Artist. My one quibble was the position of the controls. I eventually replaced it with a Behringer UMC404HD because I wanted more ports. I have no complains about it.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 08-17-2020, 01:16 PM

Great info, y’all. I am taking notes!

Old 08-17-2020, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Hi, all,

Lauren

I had a 2i2 as my first interface - it was decent but not great. I replaced it with an Audient ID14 and the sound quality is much better IMO as a result of higher quality mic pre-amps.

Similar price and well worth a look.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 08-17-2020, 05:20 PM

I have a 2i2 3rd gen, and it sounds fine. As others have said, you really can't go wrong with most interfaces these days. The biggest difference between the Scarlett line and higher-priced hardware will be 1) features, many of which you may not even need, and 2) mic preamps.

The Focusrite preamps are perfectly serviceable. You'll get more differences in your recording from microphone selection, placement, proper EQ etc. than from the preamps; preamps will be a (very) small percentage of the final sound.

That said, the preamp gain is low on the Scarlett compared to some others. It's been fine for me with a number of large- and small-diameter condensers and dynamic mics--I can crank the gain dial up to 9-10 o'clock without much noise. But if you want to use known mics with low gain (SM7, ribbons etc.) you might want to consider another interface or an external preamp or booster.

The most recent four videos on my YouTube channel and the song "I Got All I Need" (which also has bass, electric guitar and harmonica) on my Soundcloud were all done with a Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen, see links in my sig below.
Old 08-17-2020, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
I have a 2i2 3rd gen, and it sounds fine. As others have said, you really can't go wrong with most interfaces these days. The biggest difference between the Scarlett line and higher-priced hardware will be 1) features, many of which you may not even need, and 2) mic preamps.

The Focusrite preamps are perfectly serviceable. You'll get more differences in your recording from microphone selection, placement, proper EQ etc. than from the preamps; preamps will be a (very) small percentage of the final sound.

That said, the preamp gain is low on the Scarlett compared to some others. It's been fine for me with a number of large- and small-diameter condensers and dynamic mics--I can crank the gain dial up to 9-10 o'clock without much noise. But if you want to use known mics with low gain (SM7, ribbons etc.) you might want to consider another interface or an external preamp or booster.

The most recent four videos on my YouTube channel and the song "I Got All I Need" (which also has bass, electric guitar and harmonica) on my Soundcloud were all done with a Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen, see links in my sig below.
The SSL2 above states that they have designed specifically for sources needing higher gain. Their specification is 62 db of gain; the Focusrite is stated to be 56 db.
Old 08-17-2020, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

I have the 2i4 and as Chipotle mentioned the gain needs to be at almost max to get a decent input gain. I just record 1 guitar so I can go super simple and just use a Zoom H5 with a couple of AT2035 LDC mics for most of my recordings. I then transfer the files to my PC and edit with Rx 7 Standard and then use Reaper for my limited "mastering."

Vals:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Old 08-17-2020, 07:26 PM

Going a different route, for that kinda money, look at the Yamaha AG06.
Old 08-17-2020, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I have the 2i4 and as Chipotle mentioned the gain needs to be at almost max to get a decent input gain.
I wouldn't say "almost max"; my previous post should have said "2-3 o'clock". That sets the gain to 70-80% of maximum which still leaves enough room.

Do you have the gen 3 version of the 2i4 or an older one? According to this Sound on Sound article, the 2nd gen Scarlett preamps only have 50dB gain range compared to the 3rd gen 56dB.
Old 08-18-2020, 08:29 AM

I wonder if the gain issue with the 2i4 is because it is USB powered? IF your computer's USB isn't up to the current challenge, it would be taxed to provide consistent 48v phantom power. One of the reasons I chose the 8i6 was its (wallwart) power.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 08-18-2020, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
I wouldn't say "almost max"; my previous post should have said "2-3 o'clock". That sets the gain to 70-80% of maximum which still leaves enough room.

Do you have the gen 3 version of the 2i4 or an older one? According to this Sound on Sound article, the 2nd gen Scarlett preamps only have 50dB gain range compared to the 3rd gen 56dB.
I'll check later when I'm home, but I think I have the knobs at 8 or higher.

Vals:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD