The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-25-2013, 09:00 AM

Default Down-tuneing

Hello, Budman1 here, my first thread, hope its not a boring one, just an old dog trying to learn more.
I tune to 'standard', use a Snark, but I can't find the bass I want with what I've got and now am wondering 'if'.... If I downtune, half, whole step, how does it affect the strings,( should I change gauge , etc) can I play with others without the need to capo, is there a better way?
I sure love this forum, and the sensitivity given to/by all here...
Many thanks for all comments.

“Time flies,
Love stays “
Old 03-25-2013, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budman1 View Post
Hello, Budman1 here, my first thread, hope its not a boring one, just an old dog trying to learn more.
I tune to 'standard', use a Snark, but I can't find the bass I want with what I've got and now am wondering 'if'.... If I downtune, half, whole step, how does it affect the strings,( should I change gauge , etc) can I play with others without the need to capo, is there a better way?
I sure love this forum, and the sensitivity given to/by all here...
Many thanks for all comments.
The only way to know - try it. Capo as needed if playing with others.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 03-25-2013, 09:14 AM

I've been playing for 48 years, been tuned down a half step for a few years now, all my guitars, and many of my older player friends tune down a half step too.

Try it, I love the lower tone, and you can always capo when needed.........

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 03-26-2013, 07:43 AM

Thanks Rick and Rich,
I guess I will try..

“Time flies,
Love stays “
Old 03-26-2013, 08:57 AM

I tried tuning down a full step on my Gibson and found it too low, too much bass and slight buzzing as my action is quite low. But 1/2 step is great, easier on the fingers and it sounds so smooth.

2023 Eastman AC422CE-ae

Katoh DF69s

Old 03-26-2013, 09:12 AM

been tuning down a whole step for decades. i use .010~.046 strings with no issues. some guitars need a slight truss rod tweak to adjust relief, some don't.

a capo helps when jamming with others if there are a lot of open chords involved, but i usually just transpose. i used to drop down just a half step but got tired of hearing complaints from others so for me a whole step down is the way to go.

with my electric guitars i've moved into 7 strings which makes jamming with others really easy for me because i can keep my tuning and just transpose chords/positions at will. soon i'll be getting an 8 string electric.

if low end is what you want you could try a set of strings with heavier bass strings and standard trebles. -a light top heavy bottom set.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:14 AM

Default Rainsong OM1000, tuned to B, Med. strings

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreylsuits/...o-runnin-rev-6
Old 03-26-2013, 10:15 AM

I have been playing 1/2 step down for the last 10-12 years as well. I think it makes it easier to sing when playing solo. If I play with others I either capo up or retune accordingly. My preference is to play my stuff tuned down.

I use Lights or Bluegrass strings on all my guitars with no issues.
Guild GAD-25
Taylor 412CE
Baby Taylor
Old 03-26-2013, 10:22 AM

I've been playing for 49 years now. All but one of my guitars are tuned to standard, and I often capo to suit a particular tune or to play with others. However, about six months ago, I decided to tune down one of my guitars, my Guild F50. I did put medium gauge strings on it and tuned it down one whole step (two frets, DGCFAD). I'm quite pleased with the results, although, I would not want to do that with all of my guitars. Too much of what I play is based on standard tuning.

-Raf
Old 03-26-2013, 11:04 AM

As I was auditioning the Collings OM that I eventually bought, I was comparing it to 3 other "identical" models. They all sounded great in standard tuning, and I was having a hard time choosing among them. Then I tried them all tuned a half step down: 2 of them sounded VERY blah, losing a lot if sustain and fullness. The third one sounded pretty good, but lost a little something in tone. The one I bought sounded just as good down a half step, and that is part of why I chose it over the others.

So you never know. And of course some of what is lost might be recaptured if you change strings. Go ahead and fiddle around and see what happens.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:12 PM

I love down tuning. I like one guitar at concert pitch and one down tuned a half step. You are correct, more bass and easier on the hands and on the voice.

I even have a down-tuned electric made especially for a whole step down tuning.

Be aware that you might find that you need to go up a gauge in string to down tune, but if it feels right, then no need to. Down tuning can produce a very slack low E and it can get muddy sounding on some guitars. The cure is a higher guage. My electric has special pickups for down tuning and a longer scale length.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:27 PM

Thanks a million to all, many good pointers, And I'm gonna do it...

“Time flies,
Love stays “
Old 03-27-2013, 04:21 PM

Default drop down tuning

I have been trying this out for a couple of years now and as yet have not found a string or gauge combination I care for. Have GHS Bright Bronze Heavy gauge on now, maybe the best I've found as far as tension, but the tone is tubby. Any suggestions?
Old 03-28-2013, 06:11 AM

Wink

Bud........I've tuned down a whole step, use 13/56 Newtones, the sound and playability suit my old fingers and style on my Gibson L-130. I tune to open "D" on my small body Eastman and use 13/56 Martin "Flexcore" for a fingerstyle , sustain, sound. Tuning down more than a half step may intale using a heavier gauge depending on your current set-up ( nut slots, scale, neck relief) Best, J.D.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:29 AM

Default Newtones

Never tried them, so I will.
Thanks

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write