The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-06-2005, 12:42 PM

Default Just bought me a cheap mic

Hey there, well i just bought me a cheap carboid mic a Dynex dx-mi101. I need a vocal mic for ala computer recording and playing through a marshall as50r, lately the only mic i've had to record with is my shotgun mic, which to say the least has been tricky when recording and utterlly difficult playing live. So I was at best buy and i saw the selection of vocal mics they had and this one and a much higher priced audio techinca were the only ones with xlr outputs so i grabbed it. I played a little bit with it through my amp and its ok, you really have to get in close to it for it to pick up, as compared to my shotgun which would have picked up my vocals from down the street. My question is, is this mic a decent one to play and record with, cause in all reality i don't want to spend over 50 bucks on a vocal mic til i have trained and improved my voice alot more. This is basically a tool i'm using to improve my singing. Kind of sucks my shotgun mic is an over 400 dollar relic from my film school days, too bad i can't trade it in for a better condenser mic.
Old 08-06-2005, 05:23 PM

Do you need the shotgun mic? If not sell it on eBay and pick up a Shure SM-58 and 57 for live music and at Guitar Center you can pick up the Marshal MXL vocal and instrument condensor package for like $90.00 and well worth the price.

You would then have all your needs covered. A cheap carboid mic is not going to work very well for recording.

good luck
--jim--

2002 Taylor 810e
1996 Flatiron Festival F
1906 Friedman Bros. fiddle
Yamaha AW16G
Old 08-08-2005, 02:02 PM
Anticipation Junkie

A budget vocal mic that's pretty well-regarded at homerecording.com is the Marshall MXL V67G ($99). For instrument recording (esp. acoustic guitar, piano), the Marshall MXL 603S gets good marks (also $99). From my research, they're worth ponying-up the extra $$$.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:40 AM

those marshalls are heavenly!

my mics,
SM-58, SM-57, MXL 990, Peavey P1, and about 5 cheaper mics.

i always choose webstrings...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification