The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-15-2018, 06:18 PM

Default NGD Taylor 714ce

The FedEx truck pulled up about 3hours ago. After letting the case acclimate to the inside temp I opened her up and Wow!!! 2017 Taylor 714ce Western finish. So much louder and I think brighter than the model I demoed. I was a little worried about this purchase after seeing some of the YouTube reviews, especially the one from Alamo. I am happy to say that I am not disappointed. This guitar is much louder than my Breedlove Stage Concert and more balanced as well. I noticed right off that the intonation on this guitar is near perfect. The bottom end is there (blows away everything else I have tried except the 814). I think it will be a late night in the guitar cave tonight....

Marty
[IMG[/IMG]

[IMG[/IMG]
Old 01-15-2018, 06:22 PM

Congrats, what a beauty! I can hear the volume just looking at the pics. Is that the Lutz spruce top?
Taylor 814CE
Old 01-15-2018, 06:41 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Congrats! Taylor makes some beautiful guitars...and yours is clearly one of them.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Congrats! Taylor makes some beautiful guitars...and yours is clearly one of them.
Yes, that is the Lutz Spruce top.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

What a beauty! Nice guitar. I think your brightness will cool down after a few days since it probably shipped with a fresh set of elixirs.
Fender Mocha Burst Ultra Strat
Fender CS '61 Strat NOS
Old 01-15-2018, 07:26 PM

Lucky you!!
that's gorgeous and I know it sounds great.
congrats & enjoy

Dan
Old 01-15-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobtay View Post
What a beauty! Nice guitar. I think your brightness will cool down after a few days since it probably shipped with a fresh set of elixirs.
I certainly hope not. This sounds perfect just the way it is. I read a couple of threads where people said that Martin SP’s would brighten it up. Some say the Lutz responds better to the Martins.Martin’s
Old 01-15-2018, 09:11 PM

I saw the Alamo video the OP refers to and it is at odds with my 714ce. I tried a few before picking mine, and none of them needed to played hard to project sound like he suggests, in fact it was just the opposite. Lots of resonance, response and the ceiling is a different level altogether on the new 714ce.

The difference I hear too between the 714 and 814 is a more fundamental sound, less overtones.

Congrats on a really beautiful guitar!
Old 01-15-2018, 10:31 PM
Charter Member

Very nice. Congrats!
Old 01-15-2018, 11:23 PM

Default NGD Taylor 714ce

Is Alamo the one where the guy does a 12 minute review and plays the guitar for about 30 seconds? I don’t even watch their videos anymore if that’s the guy I’m thinking of.

I think the new 700’s are my favorite Taylor series. A 710 may be in my future once some used ones start hitting the market. Or maybe a 714ce to go with my 314ce.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 01-15-2018, 11:25 PM

Congrats.. Love the Western Sunburst!! I have a 712 (Nylon) and love it.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOG01 View Post
I saw the Alamo video the OP refers to and it is at odds with my 714ce. I tried a few before picking mine, and none of them needed to played hard to project sound like he suggests, in fact it was just the opposite. Lots of resonance, response and the ceiling is a different level altogether on the new 714ce.

The difference I hear too between the 714 and 814 is a more fundamental sound, less overtones.

Agreed.. I was a bit baffled by the Alamo review.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:06 AM

Being a fledgling guitar nerd/junkie, I appreciated the video comparing the 714ce and 814ce by Alamo Music. It looks like their guy, Chris McKee, modeled his format after the demos on YouTube by the Acoustic Letter. (Those were popular enough for that guy, Tony Polecastro, to strike out on his own.) He talks for a bit then plays the same sampling of tunes each time, so as give a baseline on the sound. It's entertaining enough for me. Seeing that video made me wonder if perhaps Alamo simply had a dud 714ce on their hands.

Actually my 714ce is the result of having experienced the pitfalls of online buying. I had bought an OM-21, then an 814ce online, only to find them lacking compared to ones I had test driven locally. So I made the trek to Sweetwater to return the 814ce and find a rosewood guitar I was completely happy with. The 714ce caught my eye when I went into their acoustic room, and lucky for me they had several in stock. I walked away a happy customer. For anyone within range, it's worth the trip.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOG01 View Post

I played the exact same guitar in a store and it sounded just like the one in the Alamo video-dull and quieter. When I put it next to the 814 both played just like the video. I think there may be something about the 714’s that make them susceptible to variations during the build process or maybe different batches of wood. I remember reading a long time ago that really cold winters produce great tonewoods. Maybe some are being built with wood that have seen more recent warmer winters and the ones that sound great are from older growth trees. That’s really the only explanation I can think of but I am no means an expert.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:20 AM

Use it in good health, der Geist!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion