The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-14-2018, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Sounds like that new reimagined 000-28 will be just the ticket for you. I've owned two 000-28EC guitars and both were incredibly great sounding guitars. I loved them both especially the second one which was beat to hell with cold checking everywhere and needed a neck reset. But it still sounded great and played like buttah. I got it for a steal and had the neck reset done and then foolishly sold it off making a serious profit. It's one of the few guitars I've regretted selling!

But for me it became apparent that for my style of playing (fingerstyle, mellow songs) that mahogany was a better tonewood and so I eventually ended up with the guitar down in my signature - a Custom Shop Martin 000-18GE. You might want to find someplace to A/B them. Both are excellent with just different tones.

I know many people refuse to own guitars with famous people's signatures on them and I guess I can respect that although it never bothered me. Those new model Martins coming out are going to be a big hit, I think, but I never buy new. I much prefer to buy used.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:32 AM

I had a 000-28EC. I bought it because I liked the specs, not because anyone's name was on the thing. (Not to disparage Clapton; I've enjoyed the man's music ever since getting into Cream in my early teenage rock years.) I certainly didn't buy it because I thought it would help me emulate the man. It is just a guitar, not the man personified.

But the guitar with the specs that call to you. With a tone that calls to you. That plays as if it is a part of you. If someone thinks that you bought it for any other reason, that is their problem and not yours.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:36 AM

Well, looking at 2018 Martin lineup I noticed that once again they excluded the 'Jobe' signature model. That is disappointing. I will wait another year or so until they come around. (I love Martin.)
Old 01-14-2018, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

The thread title is a bit misleading. The 000-28M is quite a bit nicer than the standard 000-28EC - even though it's technically just a Carpathian spruce over Madagascar rosewood - tonally, it's is a huge upgrade and much more collectable). There were only 461 000-28M's made in the initial run and another similar run of 150 with the Crossroads emblem that went to EC's charity through Guitar Centers. There must be over 26,000 regular 000-28EC's. The fact that most signature models run in numbers from 50 to maybe 300, leads one to think that since there are probably 30,000 (including the Bellezas, 000-42's, the 42M, the Brazilians, 45's, etc) different EC guitars out there....someone must be loving these guitars.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindboyjimi View Post
The thread title is a bit misleading. The 000-28M is quite a bit nicer than the standard 000-28EC - even though it's technically just a Carpathian spruce over Madagascar rosewood - tonally, it's is a huge upgrade and much more collectable). There were only 461 000-28M's made in the initial run and another similar run of 150 with the Crossroads emblem that went to EC's charity through Guitar Centers. There must be over 26,000 regular 000-28EC's. The fact that most signature models run in numbers from 50 to maybe 300, leads one to think that since there are probably 30,000 (including the Bellezas, 000-42's, the 42M, the Brazilians, 45's, etc) different EC guitars out there....someone must be loving these guitars.

I know the Marquis and some Martins are not the very common EC but that hasn’t change the experience that a few makers have a higher percentage of extraordinary guitars close to or at same price points no matter how they all label and market the guitars.

You can look at the inventory Dave’s and Madison Music usually have. A physical visit always has me hear and feel (touch) some of those Martins are as good as anything. It’s just not most like you find if you sample what they have from Santa Cruz and others that are also competitors in terms of price. Most if not all of the others don’t force you to buy that hideous poseur paint Martin has on many models.

It’s not just Martins who use that hideous toner. That stuff is not quite ridiculous as relic electrics but it is up there.

I do get some of the tribal love people have for the guitar makers. Many are lead by people who really appear to be special. I guess I just spread that love around more than many.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:17 AM

Cool thanks folks. OOO-28 is what I think Im going to look out for or an OM-28, although pricey. As some one just mentioned hand injury I also have that issue, cant use one of my fingers. So I need a 1-11/16th and 24.9 inch scaling (other fingers compensate).

Im in Vermont so I dont have the option to just go down to "guitar center" and try a bunch out. Im happy about that actually, more trees less strip malls.

Spruce top, ebony fret board, rosewood back and sides. That combo makes my little 16 dreadnot sound very tight and bright/low.

Glad to here people liked the EC model and after all its just a 000 anyway.
Would anyone happen to know off hand which 000 or 00 have the 1-11/16th and 24.9 scaling setup?
Old 01-15-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveform View Post
Glad to here people liked the EC model and after all its just a 000 anyway.
Would anyone happen to know off hand which 000 or 00 have the 1-11/16th and 24.9 scaling setup?
Go here. He has a great page, compare two at a time in the Spec Wizard, learn the words, etc.

http://martinrep.com/index.html

rct
Old 01-15-2018, 01:53 PM

The 000-28EC has been my warhammer since 1998. I'm on my second. At this point, if you took any of the elements of that guitar away - V neck. Gloss neck finish, bracing pattern, scale, bridge spacing, ebony fretboard... I'd have to have the custom shop make me one.

As for the name? There's already one guy's name on the headstock of every guitar they make - I don't mind a second one.
Basic Fender mandolin
Kalii concert uke, mahogany
Old 01-15-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson4NJ View Post
As for the name? There's already one guy's name on the headstock of every guitar they make - I don't mind a second one.
That is a very good point!!
Old 01-15-2018, 08:13 PM

Yea the more I read what people say I start to see it a little differently.
After all Eric Clapton is one of the most knowledgeable guitar players out there.
He picked all the things that would make the guitar sound the best for that guitar. I need to go to the big city and see how that and a 000 28 sounds.
I already have almost the same guitar in a way. People might complain how Martin makes too many different guitars like this but I think its what makes it such a good company. Its like with music, always try new stuff.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

Default folks...

Folks...DO NOT OVERLOOK THAT little "M"...I have a Rosane Cash OM...it's adi top with Madi rosewood...and it's one of the top 5 guitars I've ever played...Madi rosewood is different...and expensive...I've never played a Clapton that did IT for me..BUT...if I did...I bet it would be an M model....I prefer OM's to OOO's...I don't do that much bending...so Like the tone of the longer scale...but I could probably like a Clapton M....
Old 01-16-2018, 10:54 AM

Which "M" are you referring to? OM, Marque (Grand Auditorium, Madagascar).

Someone is selling a OM-28v here in VT for 1900 bucks (with spider cracks).
25.4 inch scaling is a bit too big. It seems the OM series are more generally then the EC models. The toning stuff I could do with out but not a deal breaker.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:09 AM

Default Can't lie

I clicked on this thread because it had 'Shadow of the Colossus' in the title.

Loved that game.

I'll see myself out now.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveform View Post
Cool thanks folks. OOO-28 is what I think Im going to look out for or an OM-28, although pricey. As some one just mentioned hand injury I also have that issue, cant use one of my fingers. So I need a 1-11/16th and 24.9 inch scaling (other fingers compensate).
Then you are not going to want an OM, which not only should come with a 25.4" scale, but a 1 3/4" net as well.

You might look for a used pre-reconfigured 000-18, which use to have the narrower nut, or a new 000-28, which both have the 1 11/16" nut to match the shorter scale.

One reason that I had so liked the specs of the 000-28EC was that, at the time, it was relatively hard to come by a 24.9" scale Martin with a 1 3/4" nut. (This was in 2001)
Old 01-16-2018, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

waveform - I am unable to respond to the question you sent me on PM as your inbox is full. So I will do so here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveform
Thanks for your info.

I dont use a pick and noticed you liked that mahogany 000-18. Part of why I want this is something like you mentioned is part of Martin history. You think I should look for that for finger picking?
It was an odd journey and somewhat accidental how I came to have the 000-18 over the 000-28. For the longest time I much preferred the tone of rosewood over mahogany. In fact, I still do prefer it generally speaking. I love the lush, wet tone with scooped mids and piano like lows and highs of rosewood over the mid-forward, dry and woody tone of mahogany.

Then at one point I found myself with two 00 12 fret guitars, both with sitka tops and one with rosewood back and sides and the other with mahogany back and sides. I did an A/B NGD shootout between the two including recording both with and without amplification. As I was playing I still found I preferred the rosewood tone but when I listened back with headphones I was shocked to find that for my style of playing, the mahogany one actually sounded better!

It was, and still is, a weird thing for me. But I embraced this and slowly made the transition to mahogany guitars. I still love the sound of rosewood and if I was the type of guy to have several guitars I'd certainly own one but since I'm a two guitar-guy and one of them needs to be carbon fiber, the wood one needs to be mahogany.

Only you can know for sure what is right for you but I would definitely try to A/B the two and not only for which one you prefer while playing but to record them if you can (or maybe have someone else listen to you playing them or you listen to them playing the two) and go from there. Fortunately, the Martin 000-18 and 000-28 guitars are pretty common so finding two to check out side-by-side shouldn't be too hard.

Here is a direct link to that NGD where I compared the two with the sound clips:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=432714

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion