The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-15-2012, 03:27 PM

Default My GC3

I am so stoked over my Taylor GC3.

I actually started off looking for a pre-2007 214. I found one but the pick wear was too much for me to bare (5th degree OCD). So I went out looking for something like it (all solid parlor style) and the smaller body of the GC3 felt pretty good to play (actually this was meant to move up from a Big Baby). I love the contrast to my Martin D-1GT (same woods too). Build date of April 2012 so I'm really looking forward to hearing this thing change over time (as with the D-1GT).

Some plans I have for this are the snakewood Waverlies and a whole mess of fossilized stuff from Bob Colosi.

I know this is really a fingerstyle guitar and I do play a lot of that but this sound sample is the only one I have and it's all strumming lol sorry (and excuse my beginner-ness).

Last edited by the.ronin; 07-19-2012 at 03:43 PM. Reason: I mispelled Colosi which is like a crimes in some states mind you.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:43 PM

Looks fantastic, Ronin. Quite the move up from the Baby Taylor. What exactly are you getting from Bob Colosi?
Old 07-15-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Looks fantastic, Ronin. Quite the move up from the Baby Taylor. What exactly are you getting from Bob Colosi?
That was my sense as well Dru but I figure I'd get something I can stick with for a while and be able to look forward to hearing it change. When I played that 2003 214, its age really showed in its sound - and it sounded nice. What I'm hoping to expect from this GC3. (To be clear though, I had the Big Baby before not the Baby.)

Being a fingerstyle guitar, I thought I'd build on that and put on W. African ivory saddle and nut. He's also got fossilized walrus ivory bridge pins with marbeling / striping that I think will lend itself to the gold pegs of the snakewood Waverlies. The cream striping to the binding. And the abalone inlay for good bling measure I guess lol. I know, probably getting into it too much. Just very excited to own this guitar.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:14 PM

Congrats on the new guitar, I hope you love it.
Eastman AC312
JTV-59
Old 07-15-2012, 04:28 PM

Congratulations, and great pics... I got the same model a couple of weeks back, really stoked over mine too!
Old 07-15-2012, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

nice- i bet it is a joy to play!

really like the wider grain on the top too-

madhat
Old 07-15-2012, 05:19 PM
AGF Administrator

Congrats no the GC3! I played one at Guitar Center recently. Very nice guitar with a big sound that belies its small size.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:14 PM

Someday I hope to own a GA3. In the meantime, I hate your guts and am oozing jealousy. Let's hope we don't meet on the street.

Congrats!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-18-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
Someday I hope to own a GA3. In the meantime, I hate your guts and am oozing jealousy. Let's hope we don't meet on the street.

Congrats!!!!!!!!!
LOL!!! Thanks guys I'm really enjoying this guitar.

And the Colosi-fication has begun - FWI bridge pins with abalone inlays ...

I'm hoping to get around to shaping and dropping in some WAI saddle and nut.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:25 AM

I was VERY close to buying a GC3 a while back (I ended up getting a GC8). I adore the Taylor GC line. Period.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:34 AM

Hey now -- that's a real beauty! I happen to really like GC's a lot myself. Enjoy!
Old 07-19-2012, 09:42 AM

Thanks Taylorplayer ... I suspect you happen to like Taylors in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
I was VERY close to buying a GC3 a while back (I ended up getting a GC8). I adore the Taylor GC line. Period.
Wow that's a big jump! Usually, I hear people opting for the 4 over the 3. Just googled it - the 8 is a thing of beauty with that slotted headstock and what I'm guessing is abalone inlay rosette. Congrats to you!
Old 08-08-2012, 10:58 PM

Waverly tuners with snakewood buttons ...

Still have a WAI nut from Bob Colosi that needs shaping and slotting ... but I just can't put this thing down lol. Been getting into fingerstyle arrangements and enjoying that a lot. Good thing I haven't gotten to the nut cos I was seriously considering tightening the string spacing ... but now I'm beginning to appreciate it quite a bit.

[edit] But I did get to the WAI saddle which is what you see in the last photo. So I've been productive lol.

Last edited by the.ronin; 08-13-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:34 AM

I like the sound of the GC3 better than two GC8s I tried. One of my son's owns the GC3 and it's fantastic. Very good clarity to it.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:29 AM

Thanks Dominus, doing a quick search on here bewteen GC3 and GC8 I actually came across your post. They only had this lone GC3 at my Guitar Center (wasn’t even on the website). I didn’t know much about parlour style guitars but just knew I wanted something different from my dread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominus View Post
I wrote a beautiful song yesterday for my girlfriend, and boy was my wife pissed!
Love it!!!!!11 LOL

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion