The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-03-2011, 11:43 AM

Default Do others like your music more than you do?

I've been playing the guitar for around 3 years. I know how flawed my playing is and I'm a little self conscious about it. I've decided to try and brake out of my shell and play around other people. Last night my wife and I went to one of our local hang outs, a wine bar. I took my guitar with me and when the crowd trickled down to a few people I started to play. Had a good reception and an invite from a wine make to play at one of their wine tastings and from the WB's proprietors to bring my guitar in any time. It was a confidence booster but left me with the though, does wine inhibit a listener to the point that anything sounds good to them?
Old 04-03-2011, 11:50 AM

Here's my opinion on it: most people don't play the guitar, so when they hear someone that can play halfway decently in person, they'll flatter the heck out of you, esp. relatives and close friends. But, if you want to get some real recognition, you have to compare your music to other professional musicians who play your style. Basically, just keep practicing as much as you possibly can.

-Adam
Old 04-03-2011, 11:58 AM

Whether you are a good player or not, I can't know, but there is one thing I do know and that is most people are happy to have someone entertain them -especially when it's free.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Reno View Post
....there is one thing I do know and that is most people are happy to have someone entertain them -especially when it's free.
I think that's why open mic nights are so popular, especially if liquor is available.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:17 PM

One thing I've learned after about 25 years of playing, is that the feedback you get can and will be very random. It's almost surreal at times. Once when I was younger, and I'd only been playing gigs for about a year, I did often get people (mostly friends) telling me that they liked my playing. and then, even people that i didn't know occasionally gave me praise, etc. But once on stage a guy in the audience during a quiet tune said something like "this guy sucks!" loudly, right during my solo on a jazz tune. perhaps the truth resided more heavily with that guy than with the opinion of my friends? or maybe he was psychotic... who knows? regardless, I have always thought I sucked. but my point is that your enjoyment, as well as music-making-inspiration, has to emanate from you. you have to love to do it, no matter what is happening around you or to you. it's hard for sensitive people to not be self-conscious. but throwing yourself into it can help make that better in cool ways. that's one thing i love so much about playing music. it's like you're learning to speak a language that is beyond culture or societal conditioning where you excel by making yourself sensitive, and getting better at it can make you a better person, too. because coming to grips with opinions and statements made by others is going to be something that we all ought to be on top of. sorry to sound like a lecture. i've thought about this stuff recently, and can totally relate to what you're saying. just keep rocking no matter what anybody says, good or not!
Old 04-03-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pennant View Post
does wine inhibit a listener to the point that anything sounds good to them?
Considering the amount of wine bar gigs I've gotten, obviously!

Just kidding--I think people still really appreciate live music, and I think a wine bar crowd tends to be a mellow type who woud really appreciate a guy playing some songs on an acoustic guitar while thry relax and enjoy the wine...THat's why I go to these places. A big difference from playing to rowdy drunks that want music that will get people dancing, drinking, and hopefully going home with recently met members of the opposite sex...

Play and enjoy--you'll always be your own worst critic.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 04-03-2011, 12:31 PM

I don't think I have told this story before, but when I first went to live in the States, about twelve years ago, I played an open mic in Worcester MA, and the guy running it came up afterwards and said "That was awesome, man".

I was totally on cloud nine, I had never heard the word "awesome" before, and I took it as a huge compliment.

Little did I know that in the States, the word "awesome" had become so devalued that it meant little more than "tolerably good " ...
Old 04-03-2011, 12:56 PM

[QUOTE
Play and enjoy--you'll always be your own worst critic.[/QUOTE]

That's not always the case judging from some on the prelim rounds of American Idol.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:49 PM

I agree....we're always our own worst critic..........Just play and enjoy. Accept the compliments graciously and continue-on with your music. I almost always comment during a gig that the folks listening to me must be gluttons for punishment. There was a time in the past that I really kind of thought that, but over the last several years I've had more and more people that say they like my music. I get nice emails from folks who hear me too. I still think it's scary to be around a group of people who like my music, but what-the-hell do I know?.......Just have fun.

The Missouripicker's YouTube Channel
URL:http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMissouripicker

Gibson J100 Walnut, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Dove, Gibson J45TV, Gibson AJ RW, Gibson AJ Koa, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Gibson J15, Martin HD28, Alvarez MFA66SHB and many other guitars, banjos, mandolins, dobros, dulcimers, and strays.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:56 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pennant View Post
It was a confidence booster but left me with the though, does wine inhibit a listener to the point that anything sounds good to them?
Well, all the girls do get prettier at closing time... LOL,

Seriously though I think its a good springboard to start a performing career. Your playing is just background music to them and they probably won't notice a mistake or two, so you could just relax and play.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-03-2011, 02:17 PM

Do others like my music more than I do?

Quite the contrary!

Bill
Old 04-03-2011, 02:23 PM

I was always nervous about open mics and such until I heard some performers who truly sucked and were oblivious to their completely embarrassing performances. They didn't die and the crowd didn't rush them with pitchforks so I always figure "what's the worst that could happen?"
Old 04-03-2011, 03:19 PM

While I appreciate a compliment (or tips!) from the listening public, the only comments I pay any real attention to are those that come from other musicians I know and respect. But, if playing in public is what you're out to do, the opinions of other musicians don't matter much, so long as your listeners are happy.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

Hi IP…
Others do not like my music more than I do. I really like music I play or else I don't play it. The only exception would be a song for a wedding or funeral/memorial that I'm specifically asked to do.

Been very few of those, and the songs I sing/play now are songs I love and hold dearly. Since I do the arranging - if I don't like an arrangement, I change it till I do.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion