The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-12-2009, 12:29 AM

awesome, i always wanted a bose so that i could use it as a monitor for my vocal and guitar and then could also use it solo/duo ....this seems to also fit the bill and be cheaper and as good or better?......soon as i get the cash i will be getting one i suspect
Old 05-12-2009, 08:09 AM

While I hope that the Brozeman is as good as the reviews say it is, I'm having a hard time with it being called a "Bose Killer"..

The bose system, like the Fishman Soloamp was designed to broadcast sound in real world situations over a crowd of sitting/standing people (restaurants/bars)... the Brozeman looks like any other amplifier and seems to be more suited to stage use...

Despite the glowing reviews of some of our members, I still don't see where it's bending the laws of physics......

An amp that sits on the ground, no matter how good the sound dispersion, will still be pointed at peoples knees...

I understand that you can angle the amp up... but the bose and the fishman are designed to eliminate that problem...

I'd like to see a more technical review of the Brozeman, and hear/see some reviews of people using it in different situations... duo's/trio settings..

I'm not a naysayer... I want the Brozeman to be awesome.... because I want one...

me
Old 05-12-2009, 12:07 PM

i know playhardandloud built a stand for the amp so he could raise it up off the ground which should help a lot.

ive owned the fishman, and to me it was just an amp on a stand with speakers in a "line" so i can totally see it killing the fishman, i have little experience with bose, but i did get a demo on one, it was good but not 2500 good. like you i guess im hoping the brozman is the realdeal, i figure the sound quality is way better but maybe is doesnt disperse as well.....but im a real novice when it comes to amps,
Old 05-12-2009, 05:41 PM

Folks--

I guess there is no "silver bullet" for acoustic amplification, but the RA 400 takes care of about 85% of my gigs. I put it up about 3 to 4 feet and find the dispersion is fine for my needs and I don't need a monitor. On the You Tube video I had posted you saw I had the system level with the floor because I was on a stage about three feet up.

For the other 15%, I use the RA 400 as one speaker and the mixer/amp and run out the Aux Line to a Powered Hotspot as a little monitor and then daisy chain to a Yorkville. I'll be doing this for a Memorial Day Weekend duo gig at a big outdoor space at a winery.

If the Bose and Fishman Solo Amp does it for others, I say go out and have some fun with 'em!
2006 Jubal Jumbo
2016 New Era Crooked Star Prairie State Jumbo
2016 New Era Crooked Star Senorita
2020 Iris Smeck
1972 Guild Killdeer F112-6 Part Deux

Last edited by bayoubengal; 05-12-2009 at 08:52 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:12 PM

Hey guys im sorry for the delay on the photos. The pool party got a little out of hand and..... It was a blast. My friend Shaun Hopper came and played through the system and absolutely couldnt believe how good it sounded. He has the bose system 2 and just got sponsored by bose. He is also sponsored by radial, larrivee and fishman. you can see him on you tube. You know all of this gear is a trade off. Do the daedalus sound better than most anything? Of course they do. Are there systems that blow them away? Of course there are. It really is a matter of how much you want to carry around. Does the pendulum sound better than any other preamp? Probably. But it is rack mounted and requires yet another power outlet. For me the goal is to make this fun. Quite honestly im going to guess that no one on this forum will ever sell a million cds. So this is a cool hobby. To keep it small and still feel like you sound amazing get the Brozman. Everyone who is familiar with Bob Brozman knows that he could have a free bose system at any time. Im quite certain he is not making very much selling the reso 400. In my opinion hes not a guy that really cares about making money as much as he cares about making music. The system is amazing. It needs a pole mount to help the sound carry to the back of the room. The mixer is on top of the speaker so when you pole mount it is difficult to reach the mixer. I cut down an ultimate stand so it sits about ear level to me on a stool. It carries plenty far enough and sounds incredible. So pictures tomorrow night. Im playing a cool college hangout that is outdoors. I will bring my own camera. Carry less play more.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:43 PM

ive seen his videos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yshFQUATkT0

i really like sullivan guitars and thats where i saw him, playing one

be looking for the pics tom, wish i had as many gigs as you...esp college gigs...instead of old ppl bars im guessing the "kids" are a lot of fun
Old 05-12-2009, 11:52 PM

Default tons of fun

they just absolutely love music. all music. hang on every word. i am very lucky to be able to get payed to play music. i tell the places i play that i play for free but charge 200 to move my stuff. i might actually lower the price with the brozman system. it is so easy and it sounds so good. shaun and i are going to start playing a duo in tampa. he is so good that i certainly feel unworthy being on stage with him. he is a very humble guy though so i fight through it. i often forget words and chords just listening to him play. he just got a deal with bose and radial. i cant wait to try the tone bone. i heard its fantastic. unfortunately it needs power. i just bought an eichelbaum guitar that im hoping is wonderful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlott00 View Post
ive seen his videos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yshFQUATkT0

i really like sullivan guitars and thats where i saw him, playing one

be looking for the pics tom, wish i had as many gigs as you...esp college gigs...instead of old ppl bars im guessing the "kids" are a lot of fun
Old 05-13-2009, 01:06 PM

If the RA-400 is anything at all like the Unico, the fidelity is stellar. When you pole mount it after modding it to do so, you could add more bottom with the subwoofer out. I did a lot of experimenting with the Roland AC90 and the sub-out. You can pick up a small, powerful bass amp and use it to supplement the bottom end without having to drag a heavy powered sub around. The Roland Cube 100 bass worked great for that.
Giving up the BOSE is hard for any of us who have mastered it and used it effectively. Mine was purchased right as they hit the market. BUT, if I get the kind of fidelity that the Schertler puts out, with the power of the RA-400 and good sound dispersion like the BOSE, it would be a no-brainer. While the BOSE Compact is a great idea, and would work well in most situations, you will still need more than 200 watts of clean headroom for any medium sized venue. With the RA-400, it would be a 1 box soultion to just about any venue short of a large auditorium. My Genz Benz Compak 10T just about covers most of my venues without anything more.
I'm anxious to see, hear the Brozman RA 400. If anyone is using one in the Maryland area, please let me know where you will be.
BTW, the RA-400 and the Schertler, and SR-Amps are all near exact designs. Are they all made in Italy? I know Schertler was not, at least originally. Schertler was always made in Switzerland. (Is this a California-Mexican strat situation?).
davidc
Old 05-13-2009, 02:30 PM

Good idea using a bass amp as a sub.
Just for the heck of it I plugged in the speaker on my old GenzBenz UC4 Little PA thing with a 12" and a tweeter into the GB Compak 300 T10 and WOW what a fine sound indeed and running my CA 5i with the Fishman Matrix... couldn't stop playing. I might just pick up an EV 12" with horn PA speakers as they are said to be very clean just to see/hear what happens...
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 05-13-2009, 03:29 PM

Default isnt this stuff a blast!

we get to play music and make money doing it?!? wow how cool is that. this stuff is fun. i wish i didnt have such adhd that i cant sit still to practice but it is what it is. the gig im playing tonight should have about 5 dozen cute 20 somethings there all singing along. oh yeah. dollar beers and dollar pizza slices. yum. oh here is a link that i found. im not sure its allowed on the forum but it kinda confirms that schertler and sr technologies are the same. It also has a cool smaller version of the sr400. way cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Good idea using a bass amp as a sub.
Just for the heck of it I plugged in the speaker on my old GenzBenz UC4 Little PA thing with a 12" and a tweeter into the GB Compak 300 T10 and WOW what a fine sound indeed and running my CA 5i with the Fishman Matrix... couldn't stop playing. I might just pick up an EV 12" with horn PA speakers as they are said to be very clean just to see/hear what happens...
Old 05-13-2009, 03:38 PM

Tuff life indeed... I don't mind playing for free for charity and art events...some food as pay is always good.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 05-13-2009, 03:59 PM

Default couldnt agree more

great call i couldnt agree more. tonight my funds are going to the joshua house which provides emergency shelter and longer term housing for abused/abandoned kids. they just called me last week to ask me to do a charity function. i of course said yes and realized that i dont ever put a tip jar out when i play. i just dont like them for some reason but from now on ill plug their charity and give them all of my tips. even more fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Tuff life indeed... I don't mind playing for free for charity and art events...some food as pay is always good.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
So has anyone ever used or owned one of these guys? After a lot of thought I finally went into a local music store today, cash in hand, to buy the Soloamp. Right next to it they had this http://www.sr-amps.com/jam150.html on a speaker stand. An amp I’ve never heard of, whoa.

Since I was considering the Soloamp for live miking of my guitar, the guy was nice enough to set up a Rode NT5 condenser mic on a stand and let me use a few nice Martins to try both amps out.

I left with neither, but I’m going back tomorrow with my mic and own guitar and I’m coming home with one. I thought they both were great.

They were exactly the same price, and both worked great with the mic. Nice, big, full detailed sound. The Soloamp was ever so slightly more boxy sounding in the lower mids... The reverb on the AR was pretty darn nice. It also looked and felt more like a high end amp. I like the size, the wood... it also has two channels with phantom... I guess I’m kinda leaning towards this SR... I don’t know.... It’s got just about everything I’ve ever wanted in an acoustic amp... but I’ve never heard of it before..
Eric,

Did you ever audition the LR Baggs Acoustic Reference Amplifier? It and the SoloAmp were one-two in the MIPA Award for "Best Acoustic Amp" in 2008. Not that the award is some end-all, but it is right up there in high-end gear. The Baggs amp has a new patented wide dispersion speaker so that Baggs recommends leaving the amp on the ground. At 28 pounds and loaded with features it is really nice. Here are some features that the Baggs has that the SoloAmp does not have:

- Two phantom power switches (one for each channel - handy if you want to play a mic through one channel and a balanced ES Taylor through another, or a condenser mic through one channel and a dynamic mic through another channel, etc.)
- 9V and 48V phantom power (9V handy for on-board mini mics, etc.)
- Two VU meters (one for each channel) for accurately setting gain while one or both channels are muted (not an "idot" clippling light)
- Two mute buttons, one for each independent channel
- 4 band EQ with parametirc adjustment from 200HZ to 5kHZ (bass, low mid parametirc , high mid parametric, treble) yielding much more EQ flexibility. This is like Baggs acclaimed ParaDI with even, according to Baggs, higher end discreet components for the pre-amp and EQ than the ParaDI.
- RCA stereo line in jacks (for ipods, CD players, etc.)
- Headphone jack

The SoloAmp has 4 reverb choices while the Baggs has only 1.

With history of quality the Baggs has with acoustic gear, I am surprised that it is not mentioned more.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:47 PM

Default rain out

sorry but no photo tonight guys. it was an outdoor event and it absolutely stormed. anyhow i will get them up as soon as i can. take care.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:49 PM

Mother Nature gets the final say as usual! Thanks for the update, play....
2006 Jubal Jumbo
2016 New Era Crooked Star Prairie State Jumbo
2016 New Era Crooked Star Senorita
2020 Iris Smeck
1972 Guild Killdeer F112-6 Part Deux

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification