The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-14-2023, 04:50 PM

Default Are Guitars losing the Wow factor or ..

Is it me ? So I started this journey as I told myself years ago to find “The One “ that special guitar . I think many of us has traveled down this road before or are on it now . Turns out one turned into many along with there’s always room for one more . Lol

So it’s cool , great , wonderful even to play a whole slew of guitars . But their are many many more to try if ever they come by my hands but I have doubts of them providing anything more unique tonally then what I have already.

For the ones I have played going out and about to stores nothing has said buy me now !

Tonally speaking nothing really seems to stand out anymore . Now I have admit I’m not in upper echelons of guitar players and the high-end customs guitars they can afford .

So I’m staying my lane so to say average low end to 5 grand range some a tad higher which is what I have played or owned . But I get satisfaction form the cheapest as much as more costly ones that are in my herd . I actually like all my guitars .

Now what is kind of is scary for this old grown man is that I think I have to start looking out of pay grade to find a guitar that “might “ tickle the senses again enough to say yes your coming home with me ! Lol [emoji23]

Though anything that pricey most likely would be unattainable.

So is it me or has anyone else experienced this ?

-----------
Acoustics,
Ben Wilborn Gloria
Breedlove Ed Gerhard signature master class jumbo
Blueridge BR180A
Blueridge BR 283A
Blueridge BR180-12
Guild F212XLCE
Guild CV-1
Guild CO-2CE
Recording king RO-328
-----------
Old 01-14-2023, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

I’m speaking as someone who believes that with guitars in my signature, I have what I want to make the music I want to make, and love doing it. For now at least - who knows what I will be wanting to try in the future.

And of course I am very fortunate to hold the guitars I do, which are just perfect for me.

So to that extent, the idea of new guitars to me right now holds no lustre.

The point I think is, that for me, it’s improving my playing and singing, learning new songs and tunes, playing the ones I love right now (in my kitchen like tonight or in my local session like last Thursday night) playing with people I know and those I have yet to meet, making some nice recordings, making music…

All of that, from that I get my wow factor. Finally.
Lowden S32J
Guild F-512e (Spruce/Rosewood)

Last edited by Coler; 01-14-2023 at 06:10 PM.
Old 01-14-2023, 05:07 PM

I played and owned my way through several guitars fifteen or so years ago and and I demoed many, many, many others. It didn't take me as long as it may have taken you for that feeling of resignation to settle in.

Pretty quickly I established that even very well built factory guitars from Taylor, Martin or Gibson just weren't going to be as responsive as I wanted for my rather light-touch fingerstyle playing. So it took a couple more years and owning a couple of handbuilt guitars to find one that responded like I want, had a voice that suited the kinds of music I was trying to play and (most importantly) didn't require me spending enough money to have to skip vacations and eat peanut butter sandwiches for a couple years to afford it!

I did play a couple of really high-end handbuilt guitars that were something special. Nicer even than the one I ended up owning. But for my poor playing and light touch they were like "one notch" better than my eventual keeper gutiar while costing literally 3, 4, 5 times as much.

So I've owned the same John Walker Lolo Creek for many years now and it still suits me fine. There hasn't been a single guitar I've seen or played since that interested me in the slightest (in terms of fantasizing about owning it or whatever). Guitars tend to either sound about like my playing always sounds, if they're really nice ones, or they sound duller and quieter than my playing usually sounds if they're not so nice.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 01-14-2023, 05:16 PM

My thoughts, which may not apply in your specific case:

Our hands, eyes, ears, tastes, etc. all change as we age. What used to please our senses doesn't anymore.

We also grow accustomed to the familiar. "Special" things lose their specialness as the newness wears off.

Additionally there are some who are looking for the magic gear bullet to get off whatever plateau they're on. We try new picks, strings, capos, books, videos, guitars thinking they will lead to a breakthrough. When they don't, there's disappointment that we might take out on the new thing that "let us down."

I personally have not experienced the OP's situation. I have a whole bunch of stringed instruments that, to me, just seem to get better. The more I play the more I enjoy them. I also still enjoy trying out my friend's or music store instruments. I don't bring new instruments home - not because I don't like them, but because I like what I have just fine.
Old 01-14-2023, 05:30 PM

My advice is this:

Think of the music you love to hear the most. The songs...and specifically the acoustic guitar sound from those songs that give you the "that's what a guitar sounds like" feeling

For me, it was John Denver and the songs from his Guild 12 strings. Yes, I have a maple 12 string and his were mostly rosewood, but when I heard his songs and the guitar playing...that is what gives me goosebumps. I love all types of guitars, but for me, that is the sound of the ultimate guitar, and that is why I went with it. After playing it for several months, I can tell you, pulling it out and playing still gives me chills and it is absolutely the "one"

Maybe for you it's a song played by Paul Simon that say "that's what it should sound like", or maybe it's Dylan, or Tom Petty, or Nancy Wilson or whomever. Start there. Find the instrument they played, and see if you can find the modern equivalent.
Maybe it's a Martin D-18, or D-28. Maybe it's J200 or J45, a guild F55, etc. Find one, and then go play it. Is that the sound you are looking for? If not, try again

All that said, it could be that you will never find a "perfect" guitar, because they sound different behind it than in front of it. (this is why I always both play a guitar, and have the sales person or someone else play it for me..even if it's just strumming a G chord). If that's the case, then maybe you just need a few to give you a choice when you decide you want to play.

Last suggestion. Look at the ones you have. My second favorite guitar isn't my Taylor or my SheratonII. it's my Sigma DM1ST, which is a laminate back and sides Martin clone from Korea. It's not perfect, it's not the best, it doesn't have sonic superiority over all other guitars causing them to bow in submission...but it's the one that's been with me on my journey from the very beginning. The one I know every scratch, dent, and flaw of. It's not the "new hotness", but it's the one that I can always count on and can go with me no matter if it's on a road trip, the beach, the woods, or home. Like the songs say...the one you have been searching for is the one you've had all along.
2022 Guild F512E - Maple
Old 01-14-2023, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

In my experience I am pretty happy with most any decent guitar that sounds and plays well. From a $500 recording king ro-318 to Huss and Dalton 000, they each have their tone and feel. I can’t really say with all certainty that the H&D is better than the cheaper guitar. Yes it’s louder, maybe more responsive, maybe feels a little more comfy in the hands, but it’s just a matter of taste. Someone else may prefer the RK for whatever reasons they have. Same could be for a blueridge vs a Martin Authentic.
Old 01-14-2023, 05:59 PM

As one old grown man to another let me just say this, get off my lawn.

Hey, you like what you like. I've got several guitars and am quite happy with them, are there others that interest me? sure, but one has to draw the line somewhere.
Old 01-14-2023, 06:04 PM

Any one of my guitars at this point is good enough to last me in any conceivable need for the rest of my life.

Still, I find that new ones bring inspiration and I find I want that. So sometimes I sell some and get new ones.
Old 01-14-2023, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

My guitars haven't lost the WOW factor....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C-X20-Qm-VA-Ele-8401-1-1026x1536.jpg (56.3 KB, 653 views)
File Type: jpg C-X20-12-Pommelle-Bosse-Npu-7746-2.jpg (42.1 KB, 652 views)
File Type: jpg 8498-Large-1026x1536.jpg (46.6 KB, 650 views)
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 01-14-2023, 06:25 PM

I am sure my guitars have not lost their WOW factor especially since a couple of them are now considered darn near legendary. But I also have reached a point where I can no longer conjure up any emotion when it comes to guitars and can walk through any store or peruse marketplaces without even a twinge of longing. On the other hand, those I own must still have a hold on me as I have not reached the point where I am willing to accommodate those hoping I am ready to part with them.

Last edited by zombywoof; 01-14-2023 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-14-2023, 06:50 PM
Charter Member

It’s you, not the guitars. The world is brimming with guitars with “wow factor.” And they don’t necessarily need to be expensive to have it.
Old 01-14-2023, 06:52 PM

I still have the wow factor. And now that I’ve had better guitars there’s no way I could go back to cheaper guitars. They just don’t sound as good to me. Maybe those who can’t tell the difference have just had a bit of their hearing be lost over the years.
Old 01-14-2023, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

So is it me or has anyone else experienced this?

I think your reaction is based on already having good guitars so that you know what a good guitar sounds and feels like. Once a player gets used to high quality guitar sounds, it takes a lot more to entice a person to invest even more money.

At least that's where I am. It would take an absolutely amazing guitar to get me to spend any more money. And the only amazing guitars I have played lately are ones I already own.

Also, I don't think there is any one guitar that is going to be the holy grail.

I also have some good guitars. And I have played even more expensive guitars. Right now, I'm not interested in spending any more money. Of course, being retired and on a fixed income makes a big difference, too.

- Glenn
Old 01-14-2023, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

Back in the late '60s my "the one" was my Harmony H1265 - the sunburst one with the thick oversized double pick guards!
Had some good tomes with that guitar but it didsn't sound as well as a friends plain ol' H1260.

It may have neen replaced with a J50 which did not inpre but the Guild D40 (cedar top) lasted well intil the top deformed.

I went through some dodgy Martins until I found a '73 D35 that had magic (and still does!) It was the one! I played the Martin for 21 years. it sounded like a special Martin shousd, but better.

The I got lost in the woods for a while until I found the second Collings DS2h to come to the UK.. I kept that for 21 years too. I think I wore it out.

I have three "the Ones" today.
Old 01-14-2023, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceMollard View Post
Any one of my guitars at this point is good enough to last me in any conceivable need for the rest of my life.

Still, I find that new ones bring inspiration and I find I want that. So sometimes I sell some and get new ones.
+1 on this
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion