The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-07-2007, 12:56 PM

Default Santa Cruz Guitars

I was reading a posting on the Acoustic Guitar Forum where someone mentioned Santa Cruz guitars. They mentioned that Brad Pitt plays these guitars, as well as many professional musicians. I had never heard of Santa Cruz guitars until I read the post. I visited their Web site and liked what I saw. If anyone who owns a Santa Cruz guitar could tell me a little about these guitars, I would appreciate it. What distiguishes them from other brands, such as Taylor? Thanks.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:09 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

SCGC (Sant Cruz Guitar Company) is a very high quality "small" guitar company.
I place them in the same category with Collings, Goodall, Bourgeouis.

What distinguishes them from Taylor and other brands it the same thing that distinguishes high quality builder from another..basically, tone.

Every builder's guitars have their own underlying sound.

SCGC tends to build guitars designed along the lines of Martin and Gibson..OM's, Dreadnaughts, AJ's, L00 style, just as Collings and Bourgeouis does.
Very high quality, well built.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,

Last edited by Jeff M; 06-07-2007 at 01:15 PM.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:13 PM

Brad Pitt, eh?

Santa Cruz Guitar Company has been around since about 1978. Richard Hoover is the name most associated with the company. He is the current owner or CEO or whatever his title. Nice guy.

Among well known musicians who play Santa Cruz, Tony Rice sometimes plays a Santa Cruz and there is a Santa Cruz model named for Tony. And there are numerous other well known players who use Santa Cruz.

They are superb quality musical instruments, among the best or the best. Broadly, they are traditional in style, nodding to the classic Martin and Gibson instruments of the 20th Century. I currently own none, but over the years I have owned four different Santa Cruz guitars: 1) an H model (kind of like the Gibson Nick Lucas), 2) the OM standard, 3) OM with forward shifted and scalloped braces, and 4) an all mahogany 00. All are great guitars. No reason for getting rid of any of them other than that I like to buy and sell and trade guitars frequently and I am currently doing well with seven guitars at home.

Totally different from Taylor. Much much smaller annual production. Smaller shop overall, closer to handmade or luthier made. Generally not nearly as bright as Taylor, much more traditional in both styling and tone. Closer to Collings or Bourgeois than Taylor. Santa Cruz is probably my favorite guitar company, overall.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:32 PM

Ive got a dpw rosewood santa cruz, super guitar its a dread with prewar bracing, mines a rosewood/sitka, this is a great strumming AND fingerstyle guitar, I love it......but I have to admit Im jonesing for a om/pw mahogany not so much because its a smaller guitar, santa cruz dreads or at least mine just have a 15 1/2" lower bout, I'd just like to have a om mahogany because like a lot a people around here I cant seem to stay happy, but I cant afford a whole stable of guitars, and you can bet santa cruz ranks right up there with the best of them. frank
Old 06-07-2007, 01:44 PM

Absolutely impeccable instruments from a small shop. Love the 00 model.

Here's a video review of the VS model:
Santa Cruz Vintage Southerner Acoustic Guitar-Boutique Tone
Old 06-07-2007, 05:33 PM
Eric Skye

Probably the first small shop guitar most of us knew of. I believe Dana Bourgeois credited Richard Hoover as being the trailblazer in terms of being the first national distributed small shop guitar.

I played my first Cruz when a student showed up with in 1988. I immediately thought it was the best sounding, looking, smelling... guitar I’d ever played. Finally got my own two years ago. Great little OM. Light as a potato chip. Loud and lively. Great guitars.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:45 PM

Default Scgc

The Tony Rice Dread makes my mouth water, or is that my ears? I have owned an OM and a Tony Rice EIR model. They were both WONDERFUL guitars. They seem to be built very light-weight until you play them. Then you realize there ain't nothin' "light-weight" about them. Fabulous fit and finish too. Never played a bad one.
Ayers O-07CX
Guild Starfire IV
Godin 5th Avenue Archtop
Ibanez AF200 Archtop (Japanese Made)
John Webb Hand carved 17 inch Archtop Astoria Model

Author: "How to Play Guitar In One Easy Lesson...
If the Lesson Lasts Fifty Years"[/I]
Old 06-07-2007, 07:54 PM

I too have owned a couple. An OM/E which I think was an export-only model; and a Tony Rice-not the Braz model!
Both were delightful but, as with a previous poster, I couldn't settle down with them although in retrospect I rather wish I had kept the OM, having played a friend's OM/PW a few months ago and being reminded of what a fine guitar SCGC make.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:12 PM

Not that I care that I didn't make the list, but here is the list of famous people who play Santa Cruz: http://www.santacruzguitar.com/playe...icguitars.html
Old 06-07-2007, 08:19 PM

Old 06-07-2007, 09:03 PM

Not every guitar in their lineup suits my ears, but a few certainly do. Last weekend I traded my OM/PW for a new D/PW. What a great instrument. There's something very special about their prewar models. Lot of guitar for the $$.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:08 PM
The Middle Way

Brad Pitt? ugghh....

But Jeff Tweedy has been playing one lately:

Guitars: Too many, but current favorite: 2006 Santa Cruz D-12

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." - Buddha

Blog: soundr

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion