The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-27-2007, 06:59 PM

Default Takamine Truss Rods

I have a Tak EG-544C, with the truss rod adjustment right inside the sound hole. Which direction removes relief and which adds relief to the neck? Assume I am working with the body of the guitar closer to me and the neck extending away from me.

I thought that turning clockwise (meaning L to R) would add relief and allow the neck to move upwards towards the face of the guitar.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJagwar View Post
I have a Tak EG-544C, with the truss rod adjustment right inside the sound hole. Which direction removes relief and which adds relief to the neck? Assume I am working with the body of the guitar closer to me and the neck extending away from me.

I thought that turning clockwise (meaning L to R) would add relief and allow the neck to move upwards towards the face of the guitar.
Post your question in the Tak forum ... http://www.takamineforum.com/forum/ ... one of the Tak insiders frequents it.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
Post your question in the Tak forum ... http://www.takamineforum.com/forum/ ... one of the Tak insiders frequents it.
Thanks. If anyone still has the answer to my question, please post a reply. It looks like it is going to take a little time to activate my new account at the Tak forum
Old 12-27-2007, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Thanks. If anyone still has the answer to my question, please post a reply. It looks like it is going to take a little time to activate my new account at the Tak forum
The required allen wrench is 5mm. With the wrench inserted in the trussrod nut, turn the trussrod nut clockwise, left to right, in order to straighten neck and reduce the amount of relief.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitslinger View Post
The required allen wrench is 5mm. With the wrench inserted in the trussrod nut, turn the trussrod nut clockwise, left to right, in order to straighten neck and reduce the amount of relief.
With what you have described, that would lower the action, correct? I think with the buzz I am experiencing, I want to go counterclockwise to raise the action a bit, and add relief

Correct?
Old 12-27-2007, 10:40 PM

is the buzzing you are experiencing in the lower 7 fretts or in the upper area. if higher than like 6th or 7th then truss rod will not take care of this. Saddle hieght (action) is too low. If you are buzzing or rattling strings easy as I call it on the lower fretts then loosening the truss rod can help. just loosen enough to rid of the buzz. relief in a neck should not be much at all. Fret 1 fret and 14th at same time and gap from string to top of 7th fret wire should be about a bussines card thickness. if you need more than that you need a good frett level.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeasam View Post
is the buzzing you are experiencing in the lower 7 fretts or in the upper area. if higher than like 6th or 7th then truss rod will not take care of this. Saddle hieght (action) is too low. If you are buzzing or rattling strings easy as I call it on the lower fretts then loosening the truss rod can help. just loosen enough to rid of the buzz. relief in a neck should not be much at all. Fret 1 fret and 14th at same time and gap from string to top of 7th fret wire should be about a bussines card thickness. if you need more than that you need a good frett level.
The buzz is on the open strings, and the first few frets only. Capoing the first fret does not eliminate it, so I don't think it is the nut. I also put one shim under the saddle, which also did nothing. The truss rod seems to be the next thing on my checklist.

I fretted the 1st and 14th frets, and the gap is pretty much minimal, almost touching the fret wire.

I just want confirmation. If I want to try to deal with the buzz I am experiencing, I want to turn the truss rod counterclockwise to raise the action and add relief. Correct?
Old 12-28-2007, 11:21 AM

Quote:
With what you have described, that would lower the action, correct? I think with the buzz I am experiencing, I want to go counterclockwise to raise the action a bit, and add relief

Correct?
Correct. Open strings buzzing on the first few frets is a sign of too little relief.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
...I want to turn the truss rod counterclockwise to raise the action and add relief. Correct?
Hi TJ...
Correct. Loosen up (R to L) - Tighten Down (L to R)

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-28-2007, 05:12 PM

Just did the adjustment. It actually took about three 1/8 turns, but it finally looks like it has a small gap now at the 7th fret when the 1st and 14th are fretted. There is still a small buzz, but I actually like just a little.

FYI, 5 mm Allen Wrench was incorrect, but I eventually figured out that 3/16 was the correct one.

Thanks to all who helped me out
Old 12-28-2007, 05:39 PM

Quote:
FYI, 5 mm Allen Wrench was incorrect, but I eventually figured out that 3/16 was the correct one.
The standard trussrod nut size for Takamines is 5mm, but evidently a batch of trussrods with 3/16" nuts on them were delivered to the factory, and installed without being caught by the setup crew--you got one of them.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:54 PM

The adjustment rod in my Tak uses a 3/16" hex wrench also. It is one of the old "lawsuit" copies of a Martin.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:33 AM

Here is a new wrinkle. I played the guitar tonight at my gig, and noticed that strings 1-3 had decidedly lower volume than strings 4-6.

I'm guessing that when I worked on the saddle, that maybe I didn't seat it correctly in the slot?

(it has the one piece pickup/saddle)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion