The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-28-2007, 05:28 PM

Default Stonebridge guitars

Anybody knows about them ? Today i went in a music shop and while trying some guitars i saw a "Stonebridge" guitar (can't recall the model name - but it was OM size and sitka/mahogany body) hanging on the wall. I was really surprised by the quality of the instrument. Beautiful woods (all solid) and meticulous craftmanship. And the tone was simply GREAT! Very focused, dry, and balanced tone, in a lovely way, a delight for fingerpicking. I couldn't put it down, but had to leave because the store closed. I wish i could bring it home but it's too much money for now.

These guitars are crafted in Czech Republic.

Any stonebridge owners here? Thoughts?

Phil

Last edited by audiophil; 06-04-2007 at 08:22 PM.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:40 PM

I own a Stonebridge D40-CM dreadnaught (cedar/mahogany) and I love it.
Earlier this year I was shopping around and the D40-CM stood out for me and I am very happy I chose it.
Mine is one of the lower end models they make and I find it great for fingerpicking.
Here's a review of one of the higher end models the G23-CR, from AG magazine (its a PDF file)
http://www.stonebridgeguitars.com/AG...dge_Review.pdf

I would definitely buy another Stonebridge in the future, I think of them very highly.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:58 PM

Considering there initial challenge making guitars behind the Iron Curtain, it's amazing to watch their growth as a company. They are building over 3000 guitars a year. That's approx. 10 times more than Goodall. And what I find so interesting is the influence of and homage to American traditional instruments all the way across the world in the Czech Republic.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:19 PM

Sorry to bring up an old post but i wanted to let you know i finally pulled the trigger on my first OM guitar, a really great sounding Stonebridge guitar, made in Czech Republic by Furch guitars, one ot the most respected European luthier.

Two days ago i went to the same music shop (mentionned in the first post of this thread), and there was a week-end sale, and this lovely little Stonebridge guitar i really enjoyed playing a few weeks ago had a xx% off rebate.

It was waiting for me!!!

I couldn't resist since the guitar is so lovely and the price was so interesting.

Just to let you know the exact model : OM32-SM - actually pretty much similar to a Martin OM-18V. It has a sitka top over solid mahogany back and sides with scalloped bracing, vintage toner, and pretty nice and classy looking satin-gloss finish. The body contour and rosette is a herringbone inlay. 25.8 scale lenght, ebony fingerboard and bridge. The woods are nicely bookmatched and the grain is even with some nice silking (perfect cut), no runout. The craftmanship is immaculate: no glue residue inside, perfectly cut braces, and nice attention to details. It looks great!

The tone is clear and crisp, direct and woody, but very deep and throaty at the same time, with amazing projection and volume, and the note separation is very well defined. Overall a great balanced sound. Of course, you don't expect a dread-boomy bass in a such a small body, but there is still plenty of thight resonnant bass. I really like this guitar for fingerpicking and flatpicking. Cuts anything in a mix.

It makes a nice complement to my Gibson J50 which is a strummers' delight with its darker and mellower sound, and deep bass.

I will post pictures soon...

Thanks for reading!

Phil

Last edited by cotten; 06-05-2007 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Rule 2 in FAQ includes discount percentages. Congratulations on the guitar, though!
Old 06-05-2007, 07:00 AM

Some pictures

Phil
Old 06-05-2007, 09:48 AM

That's a beautiful guitar. I own 3, a Furch D-40 Durango (cedar/rosewood) amazing tone for the money, a Stonebridge D34-CR and a G23-CR. They are great guitars, meticulously built as you know. I get nothing but compliments from amatures and professionals alike. The D34 is a "tobacco sunburst" which aren't easy to find. I have a video on my computer from the Namm show w/ Tom Bresch (son of Merle Travis) playing at the Stonebridge booth. I'll post it if I can figure out how. Congratulations!
Old 06-05-2007, 10:19 AM

I dunno. I've heard of people having problems with theirs due to their use of green wood. People who bought theirs raving about it's awesome tone and playablility and then a year later complaining about warped tops etc.
I've never tried one myself and my lineage is Czech so I hope it's not true!

Last edited by Mike23; 06-05-2007 at 10:43 AM.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:25 AM

Well, here's my try at the video link. Hope it works.
http://s120.photobucket.com/albums/o...idge-wnamm.flv
Old 06-05-2007, 10:42 AM

Here's the D34 on the left.

Old 06-05-2007, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike23 View Post
I dunno. I've heard of people having problems with theirs due to their use of green wood. People who bought theirs raving about it's awesome tone and playablility and then a year later complaining about warped tops etc.
I've never tried one myself and my lineage is Czech so I hope it's not true!
Green wood?
Old 06-05-2007, 12:15 PM

Default Still enjoying the Stonebridge

Hi
Hope you all don't mind me adding my experience, most of it already said but I hope it's of some benefit to you all by me adding it to this post. I've had the 22CM since November and before purchasing I sought lots of advice from Forums and in general. I still am amazed at it's value and depth and as someone earlier mentioned it does attract a lot of positive comments. It looks as plain as anything so it can only be the tone their commenting on (can't be my playing!!)

I know in the UK it carries a lifetime waranty and if you search the furch website http://www.furch.cz/eng/historie.php there are numerous testimonies to it's build and craftmanship.

One happy player
neal
Takamine EN40C
Epiphone Lucille
Fender Stratocaster Ash Delux
Squire Classic Vibe 50's Telecaster
Squire Classic Vibe Jazz Bass
Fender Precision Bass
Very Content
Old 06-05-2007, 01:06 PM

Thanks for the update, Neal. I've not had opportunity to audition a Stonebridge, but it sounds like something I would enjoy. How would you compare yours to other less expensive, Martinesque guitars, such as Blueridge?

cotten
Old 06-05-2007, 01:21 PM

If that D-34 sounds as good as it looks it is one nice guitar!
Old 06-05-2007, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
Thanks for the update, Neal. I've not had opportunity to audition a Stonebridge, but it sounds like something I would enjoy. How would you compare yours to other less expensive, Martinesque guitars, such as Blueridge?

cotten
I also havent auditioned them. But word from everyone (including a lot of guitar shops) is they are at the same build quality as Taylor and Martin.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabeer View Post
Green wood?
Most fine wood is left to dry. Whether for instruments or furniture you never build with wood that hasn't dried all the sap and moisture out of it. You may have heard of kiln dried lumber. As wood dries it shrinks somewhat and may warp or crack so builders wait until it stabilizes. Wet wood is referred to as green.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion