The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-10-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I see what you did there!
I'm pretty proud of it
Old 02-10-2016, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bailey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Sidebar to a SIDEBAR -- no, I can't imagine that I would ever seriously consider buying a Corvette when I retire IN 4 WEEKS!. I love the looks of the Corvette, but they just don't fit in with my lifestyle. Now, a Martin Authentic? Oh boy!

- Glenn
Well, if you do get a used Corvette when you retire, just make sure you re-tire it. Hehehe

Congrats by the way!
Oh very good! I laughed right out loud! Thank you George!

- Glenn
Old 02-10-2016, 11:30 PM

Quote:
at some point you are going to have to buy new tires for it... much like spending $500 or $5000 or $50,000 on a guitar
Tires are consumables, and expected to be changed at regular intervals. You can also opt for LESS expensive tires at any point.

A neck reset is not like a consumable. It does not really give you the option of choosing how much you spend on it. In my view, which all of MY posts are, if I buy an inexpensive guitar, a neck issue is more expected, down the road. If I spend BIG bucks, that need better be WELL down the road. An Authentic needing a reset before the top is truly broken in, in just 2-3 years would not sit well with me at all. Of course, then it is supposed to be DONE changing right ? But, perhaps not ! Since it needed the first one so soon.

Too much risk on an expensive guitar.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 02-10-2016, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW63 View Post
Tires are consumables, and expected to be changed at regular intervals. You can also opt for LESS expensive tires at any point.

A neck reset is not like a consumable. It does not really give you the option of choosing how much you spend on it. In my view, which all of MY posts are, if I buy an inexpensive guitar, a neck issue is more expected, down the road. If I spend BIG bucks, that need better be WELL down the road. An Authentic needing a reset before the top is truly broken in, in just 2-3 years would not sit well with me at all. Of course, then it is supposed to be DONE changing right ? But, perhaps not ! Since it needed the first one so soon.

Too much risk on an expensive guitar.
It needs to be ascertained, with comparative data, whether the Authentics are unreasonably prone to this. Does one only hear about the ones that do need it, thus giving an unrealistic picture?
Old 02-11-2016, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringjunky View Post
It needs to be ascertained, with comparative data, whether the Authentics are unreasonably prone to this. Does one only hear about the ones that do need it, thus giving an unrealistic picture?
I've had two. Nothing even resembling a problem with either. I could be wrong, but I've yet to see a "My New Martin Authentic Guitar Needs a Neck Reset" thread. I have seen a whole lot of raving reviews about them though.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:43 AM

My OM-18A is 3 years old, has had 12 and 13's on it, concert pitch and down 1/2 step, and has been rock solid, it's also the most "responsive" Martin I have every owned.

Costs ?? My last set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports cost me $1400, and that was discounted, kind of puts guitar prices in perspective for me, and the guitar won't wear our..........

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 02-11-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bailey View Post
I've had two. Nothing even resembling a problem with either. I could be wrong, but I've yet to see a "My New Martin Authentic Guitar Needs a Neck Reset" thread. I have seen a whole lot of raving reviews about them though.
Yes, I agree, the overall apparent consensus seems to be very positive build-wise and sound-wise.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:47 AM

My curiosity on the Authentics build "strength" came from reading this thread, where 2 people mentioned that they have guitars, in the line, that will need neck resets soon. Given , it is a relatively new product, I found that percentage of reported issues alarming. Could it be that these two guitars are the only ones ever made that have that issue ? I would bet not, but, I could be wrong.

I also read that the price of this line is elevated to account for a higher percentage of warranty repairs, due to the light build. That tells me Martin EXPECTS to fix them more often.

I put 2 and 2 together and came to the conclusion that Martin Authentics will need more frequent repairs and it looks like a neck reset is one of the issues they expect to need to fix.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 02-11-2016, 09:52 AM

I imagine if you asked about any popular new martin or any other popular manufacturer, some people would come forward and say they needed early neck resets. In fact i have read several threads over the years about a new "X" guitar needing a neck reset. It still wouldnt stop me from buying a new one, or saving some money and buying used. The authentics are very popular, and i'm sure they've sold a ton of em. I've heard of a few issues, but like i said that is expected for any mass produced guitar. The majority of people seem very very happy with them.

Quote:
My curiosity on the Authentics build "strength" came from reading this thread, where 2 people mentioned that they have guitars, in the line, that will need neck resets soon. Given , it is a relatively new product, I found that percentage of reported issues alarming. Could it be that these two guitars are the only ones ever made that have that issue ? I would bet not, but, I could be wrong.

I also read that the price of this line is elevated to account for a higher percentage of warranty repairs, due to the light build. That tells me Martin EXPECTS to fix them more often.

I put 2 and 2 together and came to the conclusion that Martin Authentics will need more frequent repairs and it looks like a neck reset is one of the issues they expect to need to fix.
1968 Yamaha FG-180
Old 02-11-2016, 10:00 AM

Will they hold their value?

Now how in the heck can anybody answer that with any accuracy?

It's all speculation, rumor, and jib-jab.

Personally, I wouldn't buy one based on the speculation of its value down the road.
I'd use the same guidelines as any other guitar I own. Do I like it?

And since I buy new, the warranty covers it anyway.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:

You should re-read Post #40 on this thread.

Martin Custom Authentic 000-28 1937

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 02-11-2016, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

They have been making Authentics for over 11 years. I am guessing they probably don't require any more repairs than any other lightly built guitar being made today. I have heard of a few needing neck resets, but I have also noticed that whenever a thread pops up about them, it's the same people chiming in that they had to get a neck reset, or they information is second or third hand (rumor and here-say) about neck resets. I have not heard of any other issues with them other than the occasional finish checking (which happens with many guitars other than authentics), so I'm not sure to what "frequent repairs" you are referring to. I don't have a horse in this race, since I don't own any Martins built after 1943, but I have owned a few Authentics over the years and they were remarkable guitars. There seems to be a lot of exaggeration and misinformation about potential issues that "might" be encountered, and I simply don't understand why much of this information and mindset continues to circulate around the internet. Are there other choices as good as an Authentic? Sure. Do they cost the same or less? Not that I have seen for the most part. Are they built better and guaranteed not to have issues? Nope, and in most circumstances they are built even lighter and may exhibit more issues in a shorter time frame. Just my 2 cents on the subject. Do with it as you see fit.
Slackers 1:51-52
FSM
Old 02-11-2016, 01:58 PM

FWIW, I picked up a D-18 Authentic (1939 w/VTS) on Reverb... it was originally bought from a AGF sponsor only a few months ago, so I was optimistic that it would be a "lifer". Unfortunately, the action was nearly unplayable and it needed a reset out of the box... saddle, nut, and string gauge only go so far when the angle is bad and there's no adjustable truss rod.

Ended up sending it back and eating the $130 two-way shipping. If I get a D-18, it's probably going to be a MFG custom Adi top... in my opinion, some of those models appear to offer the best of both worlds in terms of tone and tech.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:38 PM

Some of you all need to test drive some D-18 GE models. You'll be surprised what you here.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:50 PM

.. just tuned in late.

I've seen many brand new Martins (and others) with a high action neck fit.

IF the guys who build Authentics take a bit more care than others with the future of their creations in mind, then it's possible that Authentics as a group could have fewer neck reset issues than other models.

That said, it's also rational that lighter builds will bend more readily than heavier builds unless stiffer timbers are chosen .. but then that's proportional to density - so the stiffer, the heavier.

There may be a finite amount of movement possible in a guitar .. I really don't know about that but either way neck resets are a reality and logic says to me that light builds will usually need them more than heavier builds.

I'm sure an Authentic owner could learn to see that as a worthwhile risk/expense for having a guitar they love so much.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion