The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-15-2015, 04:12 PM

Default Maple neck vs rosewood neck on a Tele

Do you find there is more friction fretting a maple neck like that on a Tele or Strat, the increased friction meaning more finger drag?

Why would one chose a Tele rosewood neck over maple? Tonal properties? Seems a stretch (crank overdrive and well...)
Thanks Bruce
Old 09-15-2015, 04:39 PM

Rosewood will give a Tele a little fuller and slightly warmer tone.

Just a little.

You'll get a little more spank from a maple fingerboard.

Just a little.

I'd go rosewood.

Easier to refret too.

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp
Old 09-15-2015, 04:48 PM

There's lots of talk from people who claim they can hear a difference. . . the phrase used to describe those people is "cork sniffers" (from tdpri.com). They also claim to be able to hear the difference in various types of body wood (which in Fender guitars, are covered in a thick layer of polyurethane) and also different brands/metal compositions of tele bridge plates and saddle combos.

To me, it is purely an aesthetic question. . . and I really like the look and feel of rosewood necks on teles. Especially with a Dakota red body.

That said, the correct answer (predictably) is that you need at least one of each. . .
Old 09-15-2015, 05:34 PM

i chose my tele based upon the sound that the guitar provided, not the neck. it just so happened that the american vintage 58 in olympic white CAME with a maple neck. i love the look of the maple with the white.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 09-15-2015, 06:49 PM

If the finish is the same on both necks, then I can't personally feel the difference. Where I can is when one neck has a thick finish and the other bare. My MIM tele has a thick poly finished neck including on the fretboard where my US is what appears unfinished. As far as tone, I'd be hard pressed to find anyone that could blind test and hear the difference after coloring the signal through the pickups and amp.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:59 PM

Solid wood can make a subtle sound difference, finished or not, though not one evident without direct comparison, and likely not one that consistent generalizations about wood type can be easily drawn from; there's likely as much variance between two pieces of whichever wood you're looking at, as between two of different species, with the exception of woods on the opposite ends of extremes.

A 2mm sliver of Rosewood as opposed to Maple is not something I can foresee detecting a difference between. However, depending on the quality of the rosewood, the finish on the maple, and the height of your frets, there's definitely a feel difference.

I prefer maple unless the Rosewood is particularly even and smooth. I dislike fretboards with an excessive amount of grain pitting.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:30 PM

I didn't care for the feel of finished maple until I played one with a deglossed fingerboard. Now I like both equally well, especially with the taller frets I prefer.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 09-15-2015, 09:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintj View Post
I didn't care for the feel of finished maple until I played one with a deglossed fingerboard. Now I like both equally well, especially with the taller frets I prefer.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
There you go. I think the OP is referring to finger boards and not necks.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:31 PM

Satin finished maple all the way
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 09-16-2015, 02:50 AM

I believe maple fingerboards to be slightly "snappier" but you could probably only tell if you plucked/strummed both (maple and rosewood) unplugged to compare.

My Telecaster has a maple fingerboard, but I don't really have a maple/rosewood preference. (Other than I think some of the Fender custom colors look better with each). It just so happens that my Fender Stratocaster has a maple fingerboard also.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
I believe maple fingerboards to be slightly "snappier" but you could probably only tell if you plucked/strummed both (maple and rosewood) unplugged to compare.

My Telecaster has a maple fingerboard, but I don't really have a maple/rosewood preference. (Other than I think some of the Fender custom colors look better with each). It just so happens that my Fender Stratocaster has a maple fingerboard also.
I've owned quite a few Teles over the last 50 years or so.

My first was a '51. I now have a '54. Real...not reissues.

There is definitely a little more "snap" or, as I call it, "spank" to a Tele (or a Stratocaster) with a one piece maple neck/maple fingerboard - like my '51 and my '54. And like the Fender Nocaster which I've also owned.

Teles with alder bodies sound different from those with heavy northern ash or light southern swamp ash too.

I suggested rosewood to the OP because it's easier to refret and because the guitar will sound a little warmer and fuller, and most players tend to like that.

But my favorite sounding Teles are those with a southern swamp ash body (very light) and a one piece maple neck.

Although my Tele Custom has a rosewood fingerboard and an alder body. I have it set up for slide.

I can only assume that players who don't acknowledge those differences in tone are those who've never taken the Tele seriously enough to have owned more than one Tele - vintage or otherwise.

Sorry kids: there's quite a difference.

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp

Last edited by Gypsyblue; 09-16-2015 at 07:46 AM.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckallred View Post
They also claim to be able to hear the difference in various types of body wood (which in Fender guitars, are covered in a thick layer of polyurethane)
Many Fenders are finished in nitrocellulose. The cork-sniffers' preferred finish
Old 09-16-2015, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_M View Post
Many Fenders are finished in nitrocellulose. The cork-sniffers' preferred finish
Sorry kid. There is a difference.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyblue View Post
Sorry kid. There is a difference.
No argument here ... gramps?
Old 09-16-2015, 08:29 AM

the friction is more obvious I think with vintage style frets.

larger frets (medium or jumbos), you really wont "feel" the neck as much.

I think if you're gonna have a Tele it *has* to have a maple board...

I've got two strats, one w/maple and one w/rosewood, the rosewood is a bit warmer but it's not a tremendous difference. Pickups of course have a bit to do with this of course, (not the same pickups but they are close)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars