The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-29-2017, 02:39 PM

Default Renting a guitar in Napa Valley?

My wife and I will be vacationing in Calistoga in late August, and one of my dreams has been to have an acoustic to play at one of the wineries during a tasting and nibbles.

I don't need anything fantastic, but playable. A Martin would always be first pick, but am certainly open to others. Does anyone have suggestions of a shop that might rent a guitar for a day or two?

Martin Custom Authentic 000-28 1937

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 05-29-2017, 03:11 PM

Hmm. Never heard a guitar store around Napa/St Helena/Calistoga that rents guitars. Maybe it's time to purchase a travel guitar?
Old 05-29-2017, 03:14 PM

Someone once told me Guitar Center rented, but that may not be current information. Would not hurt to call.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

Having moved from the Sonoma County area 13 years ago... I couldn't remember if anyone was mentioned about guitar rentals. So after checking a bit I would say ..Yes also on GC. I just checked the ones in the Napa Valley area. Near there, in Concord... GC has guitar rentals. Maybe check them out...
https://stores.guitarcenter.com/concord

Much prettier going to San Francisco but... as you most likely know.,,the traffic situation....
San Francisco just in case....
https://stores.guitarcenter.com/san-francisco

6 string... Taylor GS7 Custom / GO 818e 1st Edition

12 string... Taylor GO 358e / Guild F512 (79)

Baritone…. Guild 258e (8 string)

Last edited by jemartin; 05-29-2017 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 04:03 PM

When you're in Calistoga, you absolutely need to go see their petrified forest, which I discovered quite by accident while passing through there going somewhere else. Having also been to the much more famous Petrified Forest National Park in Arizona, I can tell you from personal experience that the Calistoga petrified forest absolutely blows the more famous one out of the water. It's the remains of ancient redwood trees, and they are, in fact, the largest petrified trees in the world:

˙˙˙

Sorry for the digression, but I was hugely impressed, and I'm not all that easily swayed. Even the photos here don't do the site justice - it isn't until you're out walking amongst them that you can appreciate how immense they are.

http://www.petrifiedforest.org/

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 05-29-2017, 04:15 PM

Here's an idea. Contact a guitar store in the area and ask them if they rent guitars. If not, offer to buy and pay for one of their used guitars with the provision that you could return it, within a few days, for a full credit minus whatever you can negotiate as the cost of the "rent".
Old 05-29-2017, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

Hey TJ, I'm an hour west of Napa. If you don't find what you are looking for, pm me and I'll loan you a guitar.

Old 05-29-2017, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

Don't be a cheapskate! Just go to Schoenberg's in Tiburon and pick this little value up:

http://www.om28.com/ProductDetail?product=P170519001

Old 05-29-2017, 05:34 PM

Since you're almost certainly flying into SFO, consider swinging by Danville, CA on your way to Napa and renting one from Danville Music. I did that 4 years ago and it was cheap, easy and a great experience. http://danvillemusic.com/instruments...ment-for-rent/
Old 05-29-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodi_55 View Post
Hmm. Never heard a guitar store around Napa/St Helena/Calistoga that rents guitars. Maybe it's time to purchase a travel guitar?
Nah, this is a one-time thing. If I were that serious I'd pack up the 00-18.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
Don't be a cheapskate! Just go to Schoenberg's in Tiburon and pick this little value up:

http://www.om28.com/ProductDetail?product=P170519001

Haha, maybe I can talk the wife into that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Cedar View Post
Since you're almost certainly flying into SFO, consider swinging by Danville, CA on your way to Napa and renting one from Danville Music. I did that 4 years ago and it was cheap, easy and a great experience. http://danvillemusic.com/instruments...ment-for-rent/
We are in fact flying into SFO. It's a good idea you present!

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 05-29-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
When you're in Calistoga, you absolutely need to go see their petrified forest, which I discovered quite by accident while passing through there going somewhere else. Having also been to the much more famous Petrified Forest National Park in Arizona, I can tell you from personal experience that the Calistoga petrified forest absolutely blows the more famous one out of the water. It's the remains of ancient redwood trees, and they are, in fact, the largest petrified trees in the world:

˙˙˙

Sorry for the digression, but I was hugely impressed, and I'm not all that easily swayed. Even the photos here don't do the site justice - it isn't until you're out walking amongst them that you can appreciate how immense they are.

http://www.petrifiedforest.org/

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller

Thanks Wade! I wanted to go there the last time we went to the Napa region, but somehow these wineries kept getting first pick...not as much this time. We want to spend as much time seeing great sites as wine tasting.

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 05-29-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemartin View Post
Having moved from the Sonoma County area 13 years ago... I couldn't remember if anyone was mentioned about guitar rentals. So after checking a bit I would say ..Yes also on GC. I just checked the ones in the Napa Valley area. Near there, in Concord... GC has guitar rentals. Maybe check them out...
https://stores.guitarcenter.com/concord

Much prettier going to San Francisco but... as you most likely know.,,the traffic situation....
San Francisco just in case....
https://stores.guitarcenter.com/san-francisco
Thanks for the CG idea. I really didn't want to buy / return a guitar as it seems unethical. So I thought renting may be workable.

We will be spending our last day in SF, as our flight back is 10:30 pm (arriving Pittsburgh 6:45 am - ugh).

Looking for a good Chinese restaurant in Chinatown as well, if anyone can oblige.

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 05-29-2017, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradHall View Post
Hey TJ, I'm an hour west of Napa. If you don't find what you are looking for, pm me and I'll loan you a guitar.
Very generous offer! Thanks - if I don't come up with a rental I will let you know.

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 05-29-2017, 10:37 PM

After I posted photos showing Calistoga's Petrified Forest, TJ wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJNies View Post
Thanks Wade! I wanted to go there the last time we went to the Napa region, but somehow these wineries kept getting first pick...not as much this time. We want to spend as much time seeing great sites as wine tasting.
Well, this won't take much time, actually. It's right there on the main road in and out of Calistoga, and it's not like tackling Yellowstone or Yosemite: the site itself might cover three acres of land. You can stroll around and see pretty much all there is to see rather quickly. I think I might have spent half an hour there.

whm
Old 06-01-2017, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Hi Tj, I'm in Napa. I'm sure I have something I could loan. Send me a pm in you're interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion