The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-27-2017, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Default Music Theory? Does it help?

After playing guitar for 15 years or so, I am interested in learning theory particularly so that I can improvise tunes to make them interesting and sound jazzy.

I have purchased two jazz courses on chord melody and they seem to offer a good structured way of learning theory so that a guitar player can play up and down the neck as they please.

My question is, has learning theory made you a better guitar player? If so, how?
Old 05-27-2017, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

Yes, it has helped me immensely. only took up guitar 2 1/2 years ago. I thought about learning music theory many years ago in college, but it seemd so hard that I never really tried.

So now I want to know it. When I started my lessons, I discussed theory with my teacher. He told me that 90% of students and guitar players never learn theory; and if i could, it would be comparable to having an under 5 handicap in golf.

I asked him if it had anything to do with playing leads, and he told me it has everything to do with that.

So I really wanted to learn, and I've spent about 40% of my lessons on theory, and it is really paying off. I can't really say why, but I can play scales, modes, inversions, and know intervals. I can play in different keys and figure out the keys. I can play up and down the neck. Maybe that's not theory, but I think it's something. Plus, it's a challenge.

The guys I play with have been playing for longer than me, but their lessons have strictly been learning songs with no theory. They think I'm a genius, which is hilarious. All because I can locate some scales and intervals and tell them where to find notes.

So yes, it's worth it. It's kind of fun too, because it's mentally challenging for me.

At night, if I can't sleep, I try to figure out notes for different scales. Like counting sheep.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:45 PM

Absolutely! I find it essential in understanding chords, progressions, and scales and how they work together. Also, knowing​ intervals and learning to sing and recognize them is essential to ear training. Once you "hear" (recognize) intervals, you begin to hear longer phrases an patterns.

Martin GPC 11E
Guild CV-1
Gibson L-00 Studio
Gretsch Jim Dandy
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 05-27-2017, 05:48 PM

5 years ago, I decided it was time to learn some music theory after DECADES of being put off by the task. Would one travel into the darkest Africa or go cave-exploring without a "map"? - Learning the degree of music theory I want has indeed given me a headache a few times, but it has given me such understanding and confidence.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

For polished playing of a tune, not so much, rather repetition and technique.
For figuring something out by ear, somewhat in certain cases.
For composing, probably, depends though.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 05-27-2017, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
Yes, it has helped me immensely. only took up guitar 2 1/2 years ago. I thought about learning music theory many years ago in college, but it seemd so hard that I never really tried.

So now I want to know it. When I started my lessons, I discussed theory with my teacher. He told me that 90% of students and guitar players never learn theory; and if i could, it would be comparable to having an under 5 handicap in golf.

I asked him if it had anything to do with playing leads, and he told me it has everything to do with that.

So I really wanted to learn, and I've spent about 40% of my lessons on theory, and it is really paying off. I can't really say why, but I can play scales, modes, inversions, and know intervals. I can play in different keys and figure out the keys. I can play up and down the neck. Maybe that's not theory, but I think it's something. Plus, it's a challenge.

The guys I play with have been playing for longer than me, but their lessons have strictly been learning songs with no theory. They think I'm a genius, which is hilarious. All because I can locate some scales and intervals and tell them where to find notes.

So yes, it's worth it. It's kind of fun too, because it's mentally challenging for me.

At night, if I can't sleep, I try to figure out notes for different scales. Like counting sheep.
Great to hear. Where your at is where I want to be in regards to playing up and down the neck. How long did it take you to learn?
Old 05-27-2017, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

I find that it helps. It allows me to reason through a chord progression or melody to make it more interesting, or to get me out of an impasse.

It also helps enormously with ear training--I can tell what's going on a lot of the time when I hear something, and that often gives me ideas for my own compositions.

Another thing that often comes along with theory is learning how to read and write (though the two are separate skills, and I know quite a few people well versed in jazz theory who can't read much if at all). That helps me learn other people's music, or write mine down so I don't forget it (or I can give it to someone if they want to learn it).

So while theory isn't strictly necessary to being a musician, I find that it helps.

Sometimes you hear people claim they don't want to know theory because it might hinder their creativity or some such hogwash. It's baloney.
Old 05-27-2017, 06:06 PM

Absolutely,

Mandatory part of anyone's guitar journey in my opinion.
Old 05-27-2017, 06:09 PM

Music theory is useful in the same way that grammar and spelling help you to learn how to read and write a language.....
Old 05-27-2017, 06:17 PM

No question about it - as well as enabling me to make a few bucks doing freelance arranging back in the '80s; as Earl suggests music is a language like any other, and just as any sensible person expecting to settle and survive in another land for the long haul would make it his/her business to learn the local lingo, speaking the language we call "music" (as opposed to just speaking "guitar" - tab, chord/lyric charts, fingerboard diagrams, etc.) opens up a broad spectrum of possibilities. While it is entirely possible to learn strictly by ear/rote (there's a flourishing business on YouTube that specifically caters to this segment of the market) you'll never develop the depth of understanding required to step outside your comfort zone and create, whether alone or with other non-guitarist musicians; tab charts are meaningless to horn players, and although improvised solo parts from chord charts are routine (as long as they remember to transpose - horn players can't just "capo" - which in turn requires a knowledge of theory) you'll never be able to satisfactorily communicate that four-part hook riff you've been hearing in your head - the one that'll put your latest song over the top - unless you can get it down on paper in a language you all understand...
Old 05-27-2017, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

Music Theory? Does it help?

Yes.
Old 05-27-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Music theory is useful in the same way that grammar and spelling help you to learn how to read and write a language.....
Not exactly. One needs zero formalized education to converse intelligibly, and only cursory education is required for the most basic survival reading and writing (think functional reading). Likewise, there is no shortage of guitar (and other instrument) players who have little-to-no training, but can play a tune and sound good, some even very good.

BUUUUT, that's here's the analogy does make better sense: if one wants to write and speak well, then absolutely yes, grammar and mechanics are essential.

So the real question for many --and one I had to personally answer many years back-- is do I really just want to "play songs" and "sound good," or do I want to be a truly good player who knows how to sound good? ...and then know how to improve even that.

Edward
Old 05-27-2017, 06:31 PM

Absolutely. For me, it's been a shortcut to understanding music that would've taken me years of analytical listening without it. As a later beginner, I don't have those years. For every player I come across who says he doesn't need theory, I come across another one who says he wishes he'd learned because he feels handicapped without it.

For me, the learning has been simultaneous, I've been studying ear-training, theory, and music history as well as guitar technique and rhythm work. I learned the fretboard over the last couple of months, and I've started learning some simple sight reading now. Naturally, playing songs is in there, too.

By all means, go for it.

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)
Old 05-27-2017, 07:18 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryVe View Post
After playing guitar for 15 years or so, I am interested in learning theory particularly so that I can improvise tunes to make them interesting and sound jazzy.

I have purchased two jazz courses on chord melody and they seem to offer a good structured way of learning theory so that a guitar player can play up and down the neck as they please.

My question is, has learning theory made you a better guitar player? If so, how?
http://www.freeguitarsource.com/Blue...ues_Scale.html

A place to start. Tons of fun. I'm not into theory, but knowing what fret positions go with certain keys is a good start for improvising leads mixed with chords.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-27-2017, 07:48 PM

Understand diatonic chords, then find ways to twist out of that limitation. The best practical example is Bach... voice leading into diggerent "keys", or modes of the same keys.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion