The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-27-2017, 12:00 AM

Position on cheese steaks: Good across many makers, with many flavors. Eat what you like.

Position on Taylors: They make lots of good 'uns across many price points, with lots of tonal spectrum. Try 'em and see if there are any you like.

FWIW, I have a Taylor 312ce - it's basically OM-sized - and a Martin OMC-15E, both guitars with ca-about-2000 Fishman pickup systems, and they're my go-to instruments for playing in situations with nebulous PAs - they both sound great amped. And both, despite being the lowest-end instruments of their size by their respective builders, are fine instruments in their own right, with playability and sound that needs no apology.

I have other instruments that I like & play more, but these two can plug into anything and work quickly and easily without feedback or other weirdness, which the better guitars with more accurate pickup systems just plain do NOT do with dodgy PAs. And a 312 is like 90% of a 912 with a lower price tag....
Old 05-27-2017, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gortiz196 View Post
Hello everybody. I've spent a while evaluating some brands and models of 12 string acoustics. Now tha I have a full radiography of all its features and prices this question is disturbing my dreams: does realy Taylor a real value for the money or we are only paying for a brand?
Whats your opinion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's interesting how many artist you can trace transitioning to Taylor from Ovation or Takamine or perhaps coming from a Gibson or Martin.... After reading Bob Taylor's biography (written and published a few years) I took note this year how many loyal Taylor brand followers out of the ones he made a point to name drop are still with the brand.... Short answer is very few and of those still with Taylor most of those do not exclusively play Taylor.

It could be coincidence, but I think there is something rather generic about the Taylor feel and sound that kind of hits the artist after a while. It's not universal and you have some huge names who do play only Taylor guitars but it tells me as with anything well designed and built, it won't be for everyone.

I've written off the brand because they will not allow you to do your own setups. According to Taylor a setup always involves a neck reset and they refuse to provide the tools to do that to customers. They try to offset this by offering to pay for every customers first setup (if the Taylor certified tech determines it needs a setup). The whole process is more controlled for my liking for what amounts to a wooden box with some strings.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 05-27-2017, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
I think at just about every price point someone else makes a better guitar for the money. Especially when it comes to 12-strings.

On the other hand, they retain that Brand Name premium better when you go to sell, so in many ways it's a wash.

If I were spending my money on a new 12 I would be looking at a Breedlove, Martin, Larrivee, Guild, or Emerald before a Taylor.
That's because you haven't heard my K62ce 12 fret 12 string Limited Edition

Larrivee D10 (2003)
Larrivee OM10 RX Moonspruce (2018)
Martin HD28V (2014)
Taylor K62ce 12-fret LTD 12-string (2016)
Taylor GSmini-e Rosewood (2014)
Gibson J45 Standard Vintage Sunburst (2016)
Ovation Custom Elite CE778 (2002)
Old 05-27-2017, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmz76 View Post
It's interesting how many artist you can trace transitioning to Taylor from Ovation or Takamine or perhaps coming from a Gibson or Martin.... After reading Bob Taylor's biography (written and published a few years) I took note this year how many loyal Taylor brand followers out of the ones he made a point to name drop are still with the brand.... Short answer is very few and of those still with Taylor most of those do not exclusively play Taylor.

It could be coincidence, but I think there is something rather generic about the Taylor feel and sound that kind of hits the artist after a while. It's not universal and you have some huge names who do play only Taylor guitars but it tells me as with anything well designed and built, it won't be for everyone.
Want to name a few other artists from other brands then? Because I think you'll find that this applies to almost every artist... Do you really think Eric Clapton only plays Martin guitars?

Quote:
I've written off the brand because they will not allow you to do your own setups. According to Taylor a setup always involves a neck reset and they refuse to provide the tools to do that to customers. They try to offset this by offering to pay for every customers first setup (if the Taylor certified tech determines it needs a setup). The whole process is more controlled for my liking for what amounts to a wooden box with some strings.
Umm, what are you even talking about?

Last edited by Kerbie; 05-27-2017 at 02:42 AM. Reason: Rule #1
Old 05-27-2017, 03:26 AM
Charter Member

Come on, fellas... we've stayed on the rails for most of four pages, albeit with a diversion into cheesesteaks. Let's see if we can make it four more.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychojohn View Post
Now, after living in Georgia for more than 20 years, I recently met a fellow native Pennsylvanian who still lives in Philadelphia. We reminisced about a lot of things including music (he is a drummer, psychologist, and attorney) and then I asked the most important question that can be asked of any Philadelphian: Pat's or Geno's Cheese Steaks ?

He replied: Me and my entire family think that the best cheese steak in Philadelphia is made at Ishkabibbles !!!

Go Figure !!! Never heard of them, let alone ate one of their cheese steaks.

John
You really want a challenge? Try explaining the unicorn like deliciousness of a cold, slightly damp pretzel sold from a shopping cart outside Citizens Bank Park or the Linc after a game! Heaven on Broad St!!
Old 05-27-2017, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Basic cheese steack sandwich:

Thinly sliced steak on a long roll of bread with "American Cheese" melted over it and fried onions. Some like peppers on them as well. Usually enjoyed with a beer (or two or three):
While this description is fundamentally correct anyone asking needs to understand the importance of the roll. You have to have the correct chewiness and texture to stand up to everything else. Plus, outside of 50 or 60 miles from Center City, don't even think about ordering a cheesesteak. You'll be paying for a big plastic basket of disappointment.

And I've never, ever had a beer with a cheesesteak. The beer comes first.
Old 05-27-2017, 06:57 AM

Quote:

Perhaps the "generic thing" that hits artists after a while is being able to get free guitars. Bob Taylor has stated many times that he does not provide free or discounted instruments to anyone in exchange for promotional consideration.

"Artists" are just like everyone else and have changing tastes over time, particularly if they have to pay for it. With the possible exception of someone like Richard Thompson you're more likely to see any performing artist play a variety of instruments over the long haul.

Owner setups? The quickest way to get a bad opinion of a brand is to play an instrument that's been "set up" by someone who has just enough knowledge to be dangerous. Not saying that's your case, but it's hard for Taylor to know exactly which owner knows how to calculate shim changes and which doesn't.

Anyone who "writes off" Taylor because they can't get neck shims is probably benefiting the brand in the long run. There's also nothing magical about tapered shims that can't be reproduced by a good repairman if they really wanted to do it. Simple math and stable materials would work, but good factory-trained techs are fast and inexpensive.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gortiz196 View Post
Hello everybody. I've spent a while evaluating some brands and models of 12 string acoustics. Now tha I have a full radiography of all its features and prices this question is disturbing my dreams: does realy Taylor a real value for the money or we are only paying for a brand?
Whats your opinion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
<<<<<<>>>>>>
Old 05-27-2017, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
That's pretty common. People's needs, preferences, and business arrangements change over time. Doyle Dykes was a long-time Taylor guy, then Guild, now Godin. Greg Howe has basically had a different endorsement deal for each of his 10+ albums. Same with Tony MacAlpine. Laurence Juber plays Martin (signature model) and Collings (he has both on his website).

Etc. Leaving a major sponsor doesn't really reflect the quality of the sponsor's instruments.

Quote:
That's almost entirely false. People (pros and owners) do setups on Taylors every day.

The only bit that's true is if your setup requires correcting the neck angle, in which case Taylor wants you to use a trained pro and their specific shims. That's not unreasonable--can you think of any brand where you'd do a neck angle correction yourself? It's a pretty invasive procedure where you have to unglue the neck and fretboard extension, then reglue it at the right angle. Those are always done by professionals, and ideally never or at most once in the instrument's lifetime. Taylor actually makes it easy, with their bolt-on neck and fretboard extension. They just want a pro to do it because it's not something an untrained person should do, especially if Taylor then has to deal with repairs or warranty claims after a botched reset.

Last edited by rogthefrog; 05-27-2017 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
You really want a challenge? Try explaining the unicorn like deliciousness of a cold, slightly damp pretzel sold from a shopping cart outside Citizens Bank Park or the Linc after a game! Heaven on Broad St!!
That's easy ! It's all about that salt !

John
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (Ebony)
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (HC Burst)
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22
Old 05-27-2017, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Default taylor

Just a brand name.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:15 AM

I own a J45 and a Martin OODB but and here's the but my go to guitar is my trusty Taylor GSMini e Rosewood
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 05-27-2017, 01:07 PM

I really like what Taylor has to offer as well as many other brands, but I think the biggest value Taylor offers is in its used acoustic only models like DN8, GS6. GC7, etc. Outstanding values. Also you can get a great sounding used 300 series in the $600-800 range. The NT neck is also a great design.

I've played more Taylors I've liked than any other brand, but also have owned a few Taylors that just didn't have it. All the major brands make great guitars and then some that turn out to be duds. Taylor and Larrivee are probably the most consistent, but Martin and Gibson have definitely made strides with consistency. I've been particularly impressed with Martin's consistency lately.

Last edited by RussL30; 05-27-2017 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:47 PM

I've had set ups done on Taylors I've owned without the need of shims. Just sayin'.

Obviously, I like Taylor guitars and consider the ones I own a good value for the money I spend. I also think that of other brands (Larrivee comes to mind) but Taylor is the brand that generally floats my boat. Other people's boats float on other great brands.

I'm just happy there are so many great choices these days, no matter your income. That certainly wasn't the case when I started playing in 1964!

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion