The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-04-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
As to string diameters, yes, as to overall set tension, no, at least according to the actual measurements.
I'm just telling you how they feel to me. What the actual measurements are is irrelevant to me.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:44 PM

these are great strings period.

the mediums are more like heavy to me, they make all guitars sound so loud!

the lights are AMAZING and my string of choice currently. The Balance is the best way to describe them. They wont blow you away at first, but when you get used to them all you think is your guitar sounds good

the lights sound best on my short scales. i do prever Newtone Double Wound, but hate to say it, they dont last as long and get that familiar pungent rotten smell too quickly. the SCGC have a slight coating to them i believe which makes them so ace

Jaybo
Old 05-04-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bc3 View Post

the lights sound best on my short scales.
Interesting. I would think the mediums would be better on a short scale since the shorter scale already has lower tension.

I love the mediums but I tune down a half step.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:52 AM

Consider checking out Roger Siminoff's Straight Up Strings, a close cousin (actually more like a sibling) to the SCGC strings. I have used both and there are more similarities than differences. Right now, I have SUS mediums on the Bourgeois 00 and they are a very good pairing (as were the SCGC lights). The feel is about the same - I prefer the SUS mediums sonic qualities on this guitar (a little more bass end and resonance) to the SCGC lights or mediums. As always, YMMV -

To quote Dana Bourgeois when I asked him about this, "Experiment and see what you like!"

best,

Rick
Old 05-05-2017, 06:42 AM

I tried the SC parabolic lights on my Santa Cruz OM's and Santa Cruz H. They are perfect for the H and now won't use any thing else on it. For the OM's, I still prefer Exilar Nanowebs, although the parabolics sound so good on the H, I will be tempted to try them from time to time on at least one of my OM's just to see if my preference has changed.
2007 Santa Cruz OM "Rosslyn"
2010 Olson SJ "Carolina"
2015 Santa Cruz OM "Bella Luna"
2014 Collings I-35 Deluxe "Pearl"
Old 05-05-2017, 06:48 AM

I didn't like the mid tensions on my mahogany scgc dread. They had incredible sustain and nice higher-end-of the-frequency-spectrum overtones. However there was a brassy quality to the sound when I employed my metal fingerpicks, that I didn't like. Mangan medium strings actually did something quite similar. Were I a player who plucked with bare fingers or a strummer who used medium/light gauge picks I think they might be a more appropriate string choice.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:55 AM

Great strings all around n my opinion, use the low tension on all my guitars with great results. Used nanowebs for years but these have much better tone imo. I find longevity very good as well.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:59 AM

Default I'm sold

I'm a new convert to the Santa Cruz parabolic tension strings. Right now I'm only using them on my OM/PW but will try them on my Breedlove and Taylors next time they need a change. The Pro's as I see them:
  • Easy to play - respond well to bends, vibrato
  • Gentle on the fingers
  • Balanced sound
  • Handle the subtleties from soft finger-picking to aggressive strums
  • Very little shriek when sliding even when brand new
  • Play well with electronics
  • Unbelievable customer service from vendor
Cons:
  • Price (to some extent)
  • Availability
In terms of performance, there is no downside. They're the best I've had on this guitar and I've tried a bunch.
The price is higher than commodity brands' pricing but in the range of other boutique string vendors.
Santa Cruz' handling of a minor delivery issue was utterly amazing. They turned a slight glitch into lifetime loyalty with treatment that I'm adopting as a standard in my own business.
The strings are (I think) only available direct from SCGC but they have a subscription plan that ships replacements regularly and eliminates shipping costs.
2016 Taylor 712e 12-fret
2014 Breedlove Parlor
Line 6 L2T
Old 05-27-2017, 09:12 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheetah236 View Post
I'm a new convert to the Santa Cruz parabolic tension strings. Right now I'm only using them on my OM/PW but will try them on my Breedlove and Taylors next time they need a change. The Pro's as I see them:
  • Easy to play - respond well to bends, vibrato
  • Gentle on the fingers
  • Balanced sound
  • Handle the subtleties from soft finger-picking to aggressive strums
  • Very little shriek when sliding even when brand new
  • Play well with electronics
  • Unbelievable customer service from vendor
Cons:
  • Price (to some extent)
  • Availability
In terms of performance, there is no downside. They're the best I've had on this guitar and I've tried a bunch.
The price is higher than commodity brands' pricing but in the range of other boutique string vendors.
Santa Cruz' handling of a minor delivery issue was utterly amazing. They turned a slight glitch into lifetime loyalty with treatment that I'm adopting as a standard in my own business.
The strings are (I think) only available direct from SCGC but they have a subscription plan that ships replacements regularly and eliminates shipping costs.
I have my second set on my Gibson. I like them. They aren't a really sparkly sounding string (which is fine with me), but they have a good tone and keep it for a long time. I just order mine online from SC.
A less expensive yet viable alternative to these strings, at least to my ears and fingers, are Martin's Flexible Cores.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-27-2017, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

They're the best sounding strings I've yet put on my SCGC 1942 Bluegrass dread. I don't buy them because that guitar sounds great with whatever you put on it and those are some ridiculously expensive strings.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:24 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
They're the best sounding strings I've yet put on my SCGC 1942 Bluegrass dread. I don't buy them because that guitar sounds great with whatever you put on it and those are some ridiculously expensive strings.
Don't look at the price of Martin's new titanium strings then....

Actually the SC strings work out to be about $6 a month for me.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-27-2017, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Don't look at the price of Martin's new titanium strings then....

Actually the SC strings work out to be about $6 a month for me.
They do last a while. I doubt I'd get 3 months out of them, but they last longer than a lot of other strings.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
Consider checking out Roger Siminoff's Straight Up Strings, a close cousin (actually more like a sibling) to the SCGC strings. I have used both and there are more similarities than differences. Right now, I have SUS mediums on the Bourgeois 00 and they are a very good pairing (as were the SCGC lights). The feel is about the same - I prefer the SUS mediums sonic qualities on this guitar (a little more bass end and resonance) to the SCGC lights or mediums. As always, YMMV -

To quote Dana Bourgeois when I asked him about this, "Experiment and see what you like!"

best,

Rick
Update at 1 month - the SUS have been very consistent in feel and sound. They complement the Bourgeois well. Interesting that the SCGC mediums did not sound as good on the Bourgeois, But here, it may be a poor comparison. There are two additional tension sets of SUS, whereas SCGC strings only have the light and medium values. The SUS medium is midway in tension between the SCGC light and mediums.

My biggest issue has been trying to figure out when the strings need changing. I have realzed that my day-to-day perception is not reliable because of variations in me, my fingering and the humidity,

Rick
Old 05-28-2017, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Knowing when to change them is a real problem - I pulled out my Sexauer pernambuco, which is an absolutely amazing sounding guitar, and after playing it an hour or so, was realizing it was really missing the sparle and open trebles - the bass and midrange was still pretty amazing, but, it just wasn't all there. Decided to check, and sure enough, the SCGC low tensions went on it in February of 2016. Time to change them -
Old 05-28-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
Knowing when to change them is a real problem - I pulled out my Sexauer pernambuco, which is an absolutely amazing sounding guitar, and after playing it an hour or so, was realizing it was really missing the sparle and open trebles - the bass and midrange was still pretty amazing, but, it just wasn't all there. Decided to check, and sure enough, the SCGC low tensions went on it in February of 2016. Time to change them -
I find the same thing is happening to me.

Rick

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion